Find answers, ask questions, connect with our community.

• John Childs

January 26, 2009 at 2:11 pm
    quote Chris Ferrie:

If your sign business is booming it doesn’t mean it is guaranteed to stay that way. Being able to dip your toes into other markets lets you see what works and what doesn’t.

Not sure about that Chris.

The really smart people of my acquaintance don’t try to evolve a business. They start one up, work hard to make it a success, are able to gauge when the golden times are about to come to an end, and then sell it for big bucks before the inevitable decline. Then they either go onto the next big thing, or are maybe already running two or three completely separate businesses in parallel.

Unfortunately I am not amongst their number. I take it too personally, coming to regard the customers and suppliers that I deal with everyday more as friends than as weapons to earn money, and am reluctant to sell the company that I have nurtured from a baby and come to love. I realised years ago that that is the main reason why I will never earn vast amounts of money and am basically a small businessman at heart. Richard Branson I ain’t.

Now, tell me about the sex toys. 😛