Find answers, ask questions, connect with our community.

Activity Feed Forums Sign Discussion General Sign Topics does a shop location matter when setting up business? Reply To: does a shop location matter when setting up business?

• Dave Harrison

October 7, 2008 at 8:16 am

Hi Will

I always enjoy reading the shop Vs unit threads as I sometimes wonder.. what if I had a retail shop front. .. . blah blah. .. . !

Here’s my take on it. .

I personally would consider the working environment offered by each location (shop or unit) before anything else. For example, at your current unit do you have the ability to drive vehicles inside and work undercover ?
    Are you able to work late into the night without waking up the neighbours should you have an urgent order ?
    Do you have good access for large delivery trucks etc ?
    Do you have the staff to man a shop counter when you are out fitting / quoting / manufacturing ? Nothing worse than a shop with "back in 30mins" on the door !

I look at some local sign companies with envy as they seem to have found great locations, Corner shops with fitting / manufacturing bays at the rear.
    I know for fact that these retail locations generate good business for them.
    However on a crappy day like today I’m very happy can drive a 7.5 tonne truck into my nice warm workspace and shut the door :). . .. not many shops can do that !

Best of luck. . .and let us know what you decide to go for !