Find answers, ask questions, connect with our community.

Activity Feed Forums Sign Discussion General Sign Topics does a shop location matter when setting up business? Reply To: does a shop location matter when setting up business?

• David Rogers

October 6, 2008 at 9:04 pm

S’pose it depends on the market you want and have already.

‘Main Street’ passing trade is often, but not always, low value tat – and lots of work for not so much money. Too many ‘I want a sticker for my Corsa’ and not nearly enough ‘I saw your shop and I’ve got three vans that need doing’ – that can easily tie you up for lost hours on end per week making nothing on one-off customers with little more than a £5 in their pockets…all in the name of ‘being friendly / providing a service’.

If you can port over your existing client base I wouldn’t be worried – a change can be a good motivator for you to develop your business more.

Like a few others on here – the best marketing tool EVER is a reputation for excellence at a fair price. That’s in customer service, innovative design, suitable materials, slick installation & genuine aftercare…get that right & they’ll recommend you to everybody wherever you trade from.

If you think you can make a go of it and not lose trade because of the change in venue – why not.