Find answers, ask questions, connect with our community.

Activity Feed Forums Software Discussion General Software Topics Shop Management Software, what would you advise? Reply To: Shop Management Software, what would you advise?

• James Bateman

August 21, 2020 at 4:11 pm

Hey Gary! I’d say with a very small business, software can be both a blessing and a curse for sure.

My father used to run everything by email and in his head, which is fine for 2-3 people and maybe a fitter, but when he went on holiday, everything would fall apart. Before he retired, we tried a few things like spreadsheets and a CRM, but nothing ever felt complete and ended up getting neglected or lost.

I’ve tried both ways of running a business and would choose software every time: Consistent pricing (doesn’t matter who does the quote), see updates of quotes sent to customers, flexible digital job sheets, corresponding Dropbox folders, draft invoices sent directly to Xero once the job is complete etc. the list goes on.

The beauty of removing yourself as the bottleneck, is that you can put most of your knowledge into a system and have others take on specific roles that you just check on from time to time. Not only that, but there is no excuse for not seeing the information if it’s shared from a centralised location.

Obviously I’m biased and a total advocate for it, but pushing past 4-5 people, I would say is an absolute must.