Find answers, ask questions, connect with our community.

Activity Feed Forums Sign Discussion General Sign Topics Polishing varnished wood, advise fitting vinyl to it. Reply To: Polishing varnished wood, advise fitting vinyl to it.

• Robert Lambie

Administrator
    August 15, 2020 at 7:13 pm

Hi Ian

As long as they do not polish “prior” to the vinyl application, whatever polish they use “after” the application, will be fine.

once the vinyl has been applied to the gloss varnished “unpolished” surface it will bond perfectly fine. the bond will progressively build-up much more over time. If a polish is applied after the graphic is applied, it will be perfectly fine as the polish does not eat into the graphic or deteriorate the vinyl in any way.

I remember a Volkswagon dealer asking me to fit car graphics to a showroom vehicle. these were logos around 700mm in size. I couldn’t even get the application tape off the back without the vinyl coming away. and I had already given the pristine clean car a wipe down. I removed the graphic easily. took more time properly degreasing the surface with Isopropyl alcohol and tried again. this time it worked. but was still NOT what I would have said, “great adhesion”.