Find answers, ask questions, connect with our community.

Activity Feed Forums Sign Discussion General Sign Topics Customers an absolute nightmare through this whole covid situation? Reply To: Customers an absolute nightmare through this whole covid situation?

• Peter Johnson

July 28, 2020 at 11:36 am

Yes. Since I started to take work back on (shop is still closed, everything is just drop-off and pickup) everybody seems to want everything yesterday.

Contacted by a potential customer Thursday afternoon approx 4pm.

Cust “I need a sign, 8ft x 8ft. How much”?
    Me “I don’t even know what you want on the sign. Is it cut vinyl or printed with lamination”?
    Cust “Yes”
    Very long pause as customer stares at me.
    Cust “Well”?
    Me “Well what”?
    Cust “How much”?
    Me “I don’t even know what you want on the sign. Is it cut vinyl or printed with lamination”?
    Cust “I want a sign with vinyl letters on it”
    Me “Okay, without knowing exactly what you want, the price would be about £xx for a basic sign”
    Cust “Okay, I’ll send you the details later”

I then receive an email at around midnight asking for coloured board with a massive price list/menu. Cust comes back in around 2pm the following day (Friday).
    Cust “So, can you do this”?
    Me “Yes, but the boards are more expensive and there is a huge amount of lettering to design/arrange/apply, so it will take a bit of time and the price will be £xx+”
    Cust “Whoah, that’s more expensive than you quoted me before”.
    Me “That wasn’t a quote, that was an estimate because I didn’t know what you wanted. You wanted more and so the price went up”
    Cust “Can I get a discount then”?
    Me “Yes, of course. On your next order”
    Cust “Hmm… okay then, go ahead. Can I get it by Sunday”?
    Me “Really”??

Now this is a typical sort of conversation that a lot of us have had. But it seems that since the Covid outbreak, nearly all of my conversations with new customers are like this.