Find answers, ask questions, connect with our community.

Activity Feed Forums Sign Discussion General Sign Topics should i move into a unit or stay working from home? Reply To: should i move into a unit or stay working from home?

• Phill Fenton

April 5, 2008 at 5:00 pm

It all depends on the size of unit you are taking on John.

My belief is that you need at least two people working to be able to produce the sort of turnover required to cover all your costs and yet still be able to generate sufficient profit to make it worthwhile. But of course that depends on the size of unit you are taking on and the cost of this to you.

I would add up all the additional costs this unit will add to your overheads (rent rates, heating lighting etc.) deduct that from your current profits then decide if you would still be making a sufficient profit to make it worthwhile.

Yes a unit will generate more turnover, and you will be able to take on work that you may not otherwise have been able to do if working from home. But will you be able to cope with the extra work you would need to be turning over on your own?

In my situation there are two of us working. I do not believe that I could make it work as a healthy viable business if I was working alone. I would either need to take someone else on – or work from home.