Find answers, ask questions, connect with our community.

Activity Feed Forums Sign Discussion General Sign Topics Price agreements Reply To: Price agreements

• Phill Fenton

April 25, 2007 at 11:42 pm

I reckon there’s no harm in talking to your competition. For one thing you can forewarn each other of bad payers and troublesome customers in your locality. I’m often troubled when a new customer comes to me (that I have never supplied before) and suddenly wants to do business with me when he has been supplied by a competitor in the past. Often it’s because he’s exhausted his list of suppliers due to some form of unreasonable behaviour.

You can also help each other out on occasion with things like materials (e.g a vinyl colour you need that day but can’t get from your supplier can often be borrowed from another sign maker in your area) or taking on a job to help each other out.

Yes – it’s good to talk and there’s nothing illegal about meeting up with a fellow signmaker and discussing business.

Should the subject of price fixing come up I would be wary. This is certainly wrong and I would make it clear that this was not an option.

But get to know your competition, and be on friendly terms with them. You never know when you might need each others assistance with something 😀