Find answers, ask questions, connect with our community.

Activity Feed Forums Sign Discussion Off Topic Chat had a crap day Reply To: had a crap day

• Shane Drew

March 22, 2007 at 2:01 am
    quote Phill:

I had a phone call today from an old friend of mine who “matter of factly” told me that two weeks ago he’d had another minor stroke!

This sort of thing puts a lot of things in perspective and makes me wonder “what are we all here for”.

I’m not even sure why I am posting this or what I am trying to say!

Maybe it’s a case of “you only get one life” – so do the best you can with it.

Phill, I’ve had three clients in the last 6 months;

One decided life was getting too hard, so he’d retire so he and the wife could enjoy life. He closed up his shop, went home and made plans to tour australia. He died 7 days later from a massive heart attack;

The second runs a very successful real estate business. He decided to sell the business and live off his investments. He had been feeling unwell for a while, went to the doc, and they said he needed a stint in his artery because they were blocking up. On the operating table, he had a massive stroke, and is now is paralyzed on the one side.

The third decided to downsize, so moved his business to home, so he could enjoy more time closer to his wife. The day after he moved back home, his wife dropped dead from a heart attack.

Having my father have a stroke and heart attack, plus open heart quadruple surgery, makes me realise that everyday is important, and working or not, its good to appreciate those that mean anything to you. I spend a lot more time with my wife and kids than I did. I love my job, but have found a better balance now. I actually take holidays too. Never thought my business would survive if I left it for a week or two. But, it does, although it is not easy to come back to a big workload sometimes.

Time and unforeseen circumstances befall us all, no good worrying about it, it will only bring on a stroke, stress or something else. It can happen anytime, retired or not. There is an argument of course, that the stress on a newly retired person is greater than when he/she worked. Trying to live without a regular income etc after many years of ‘being in control’ can also take its toll.

I guess what I’m trying to say in a rather long winded fashion, is its good to appreciate and look after our health as best we can. But also to know what is important to us… money is not everything after all.