Find answers, ask questions, connect with our community.

Activity Feed Forums Sign Discussion Off Topic Chat BSA check today! Reply To: BSA check today!

• Shane Drew

March 15, 2007 at 8:25 am

I have had two tax audits here – the tax inspectors give you a one hour warning so you can arrange for your solicitor or accountant to be present (don’t get me started – how many solicitors or accountants do you know that can drop everything to be in your office in an hour?) and the first thing they ask to see is your purchase receipts for software on your computer. If you can not prove you own the software, they assume you are dishonest and audit you with that in mind.

I was able to produce receipts and cheque butts so they treated me as an honest citizen 😕

Microsoft are only interested in large scale piracy at the moment here in OZ, large companies that run windows business software on heaps of machines but don’t have multi licenses. ie 1 copy of Office running on several machines at once. If they fall over a small company that are discovered to be running pirated software, they’ll certainly jump on them too tho. Our tax department will dob you in too after they find out you can’t substantiate the software ownership.

I’m not into blatant piracy myself, a concern I’ve expressed here on more than one occasion when we all swap fonts and files. But I’m the first to admit I’ve helped other shops out in the past, so I am as guilty as the next guy in truth.

I think it is something that we’ll all have to take more seriously though in the future, as this will become a pretty common situation in the years to come, I’m sure.

Here, no one from any government authority can enter your premises without your permission or a warrant. If you say ‘no’ to the tax dept your just asking for trouble though 👿