Find answers, ask questions, connect with our community.

Activity Feed Forums Sign Discussion Off Topic Chat Happy Australia Day Reply To: Happy Australia Day

• Frog Man

January 26, 2006 at 10:14 am

I am not a racist by any stretch of the imagination, I have friends from many different countries and cultures. However I think things like letting Muslims into banks wearing burkas is really pushing political/religious correctness way to far.

On the local news the other night the West Australian Police Department was showing off their new uniforms that allow policemen and women to wear turbans and hijabs and perhaps other clothing. (I’ve included a screengrab from the West Australian Newspaper site)
    The TV station did a phone poll to gauge public reaction to the changes and the results were 95% (roughly 100,000 votes) against the changes. I can totally understand this result and agree with the majority, if they can’t wear a uniform that is fine for every other policeman/woman perhaps they shouldn’t be joining.

I think two old sayings are relevant in this situation “When in Rome, do as the Romans do” and “Give them an inch and they’ll take a mile”.

This obviously has nothing at all to do with signwriting and I’m not trying to stir up debate, I just thought that on Australia Day 2006 it was relevant.