Find answers, ask questions, connect with our community.

Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Roland Printers Roland Versacamm SP540i Colours mixed up. Need Help Please.

• Roland Versacamm SP540i Colours mixed up. Need Help Please.

Kevin Mahoney updated 2 months ago 6 Members · 18 Posts
  • Danny Harris

September 15, 2021 at 12:40 pm

Hi,

I did a test print which showed quite a few nozzles missing on yellow. After normal and medium cleaning cycles, showed no improvements, I performed a powerfull clean cycle, and after that my test prints colours are all mixed up. Lots of nozzles missing and blue and yellow colours missing as shown in pictures. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

• Kevin Mahoney

September 15, 2021 at 1:45 pm

How are your cap tops looking?

• Danny Harris

September 15, 2021 at 2:16 pm

Hi, Kevin

My machine has very little use, the cap tops have not been changed in 4/5 years.

• Kevin Mahoney

September 15, 2021 at 8:40 pm

Would be a big part of your problem I reckon, inkjet printers need to print regularly or they degrade

• Robert Lambie

Administrator
    September 15, 2021 at 10:28 pm

Been years since we had our Rolands, but I fully agree with Kev. Always best to keep any machine moving, solvent machines in particular.
    I vaguely remember us having an issue like this on our Grenadier, which was a Roland Soljet.

“I think” one of the tubes/lines from the capping station to the pump was split and losing pressure or something that caused a similar outcome to what you are showing.
    sorry for my sketchy reply, but doing this from memory from about 7+ years ago and my machines may have been different to what yours is due to age. i think an easy way to check is to see if your ink tubes have any air bubbles in them or no ink.

I am sure someone will put me out my misery if i am wrong. 🤔🤣

• Kevin Mahoney

September 16, 2021 at 7:40 am

You’ve got some cross head contamination there, possibly due to not being able to drain properly. I’d start with checking the easy bits first, are the caps clean around the rubber edge & sealing to the printhead nicely?, are the pipes from the cap to the waste bottle blocked or split?Is the pump working properly? Have a search on the boards, there are loads of posts about this & lots of good tips

• Danny Harris

September 16, 2021 at 12:40 pm
  • Danny Harris

September 16, 2021 at 12:47 pm

Thank you guys for your help. I have noticed that after a cleaning cycle, there is no ink going into the waste bottle, so my tubes must be blocked. I think it’s time to call an engineer. Do you think I may have damaged the heads due to blockage in the waste pipes?

Thanks

• Kevin Mahoney

September 16, 2021 at 8:02 pm

I wouldn’t reach for the batphone just yet, not a difficult job to change/unblock the waste pipes. Just order a bit of tygon tube from Josero. Have a look on YouTube for a video of how to get the caps out first though, they’ve each got 2 little pen springs that are on a mission to dive into the belly of the machine, I’ve dropped them a thousand times

• Martyn Heath

September 17, 2021 at 4:32 am

“Batphone” 🤣🤣🤣

• Stephen Morriss

September 17, 2021 at 10:07 am

The later SP had a shared pump so the lines from the two capping stations joined in a Y, if one pipe was blocked then the capping station on that line didn’t get cleared and couldn’t clean the head properly.

I used to fill the capping heads with cleaner during a manual clean as the fluid would help clear the pipes, I was using Eco solmax inks.

As a last resort a syringe on the pipe and a GENTLE vacuum would help clear the head.

• Danny Harris

September 19, 2021 at 2:56 pm

Thank you guys for all your advice, much appreciated.

I have ordered some tubing and cap tops from Josero and will give it a go.

I’ll let you know how I get on.

• Phill Fenton

September 19, 2021 at 5:25 pm

I have a slightly different theory. I have a similar issue with my machine and often have to perform a head clean to clear the inks.

I think it could be a change in the ink formulations over the years making the inks less viscous and so encouraging a flow into the capping station when the machine stands idle overnight. It’s just a theory mind….

• Stephen Morriss

September 21, 2021 at 11:06 am

Could be Phill, I always had trouble with one colour on the Eco Solmax inks and I currently always have trouble with Cyan on the Truvis inks, the other 3 colours have no problem including magenta on the same head as cyan.

• Danny Harris

September 27, 2021 at 7:20 pm

Thank you everyone for your help, especially thanks to Kevin, who was spot on, it was a blocked waste pipe. I ordered one from Josero as recommened and It only took a few minutes to change, so saved alot of money because I was about to call the engineer.

• Kevin Mahoney

September 27, 2021 at 7:40 pm

Please make all cheques payable to: Christian Approach to Society Handbooks, or just use the initials ‘CASH’ if it won’t fit on one line

• Robert Lambie

Administrator
    September 27, 2021 at 11:16 pm

Thanks for updating this post with the result Danny. Posts are much more valuable to the next reader with similar issues when the final result is posted, especially when whatever is suggested, works! 👍

As for Mahoney Online Support Services, yet again, he has pulled a positive result from his Hong Kong Book of Kong-Fu! 😂

Viewing 1 - 15 of 15 replies

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now