Find answers, ask questions, connect with our community.

Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Roland Printers Roland SP300V Black Head Issue

• Roland SP300V Black Head Issue

John Thomson updated 2 weeks, 3 days ago 6 Members · 49 Posts
  • Robert Neill

August 24, 2021 at 9:05 pm

Sorry guys, me again.

Looking to see if someone can advise as to whats going on with my black head. When i bought the machine (second hand) the black head test prints always looked all over the place. So at the start of this year i bought a brand new head, which was fine. But the black is away as bad as ever. It only seems to be the black. Attached is what it looks like now. On the right is what the test print just came out like, and the proceding two are what its like now after doing head cleans…. its as if the black doesnt do the self clean periodically like the others.Every time i boot it up i have to go through the whole head clean thing to get the black back, and even then its not great. I have recently replaced the cap toes aswell, incase that was the issue.

I do use non genuine inks

Regards

• Robert Neill

August 24, 2021 at 9:09 pm

Also i noticed that when i do the powerful head cleans that my ink levels fair drop, but the black doesnt really drop…

• Robert Neill

August 24, 2021 at 10:14 pm

Or is there any engineers in Glasgow that would come and have a look, there is clearly something wrong somewhere when this was a brand new head not so long ago 😞

• Kevin Mahoney

August 25, 2021 at 10:11 am

A few blocked nozzles there by the looks of it Robert, has it been stood idle for any length of time? What aftermarket ink do you have in it? If the head is fairly new & not faulty, has new caps & dampers, I would be looking at the pipes for congealed ink, specifically the drain pipe from the cap which I always replaced with tigon tubing. Thats where I found solidified ink which prevents the pump from doing it’s job properly. Had my SP300 for 20 years & seen that test print a thousand times on my old versacamms. Powerful cleans will rinse your ink so if the black ink level isn’t dropping, its likely not going through the cap into the waste bottle. An overnight head soak with the cap pipe clamped off would be the first thing I’d try, power cable out to prevent it trying to do the periodic cleans when you’re not there. Aftermarket ink will normally get the blame from most engineers but I reckon that head could come back ok. A small test print every day generally keeps the ink flowing in the pipes & avoids these problems, damage usually occurs when the more aggressive solvents sit in the machine not moving.

• Robert Neill

August 25, 2021 at 10:22 am

Hi Kevin…. it has not been sat idle at all for maybe more than a day or 2 at a time. As after replacing the head I am scared to leave it, so I make sure I print something at least every day or 2. Also see when you say a blocked pipe, do you mean the one coming off the cap toe ?

• Kevin Mahoney

August 25, 2021 at 10:31 am

Yes mate, I always replaced the stiff black tube for tigon, that’s where the issue was 95% of the time. The pump creates a vacuum in the ink lines so as the versacamm shares cyan & black on the head, if the black line is blocked, it just powers out the cyan even stronger & rarely solves the problem. It looks like the deflecting nozzles are potentially congealed ink in the head, an engineer would probably say it needs a new head but he isn’t spending his own money

• Robert Neill

August 25, 2021 at 10:39 am

Ah OK thanks Kevin.

Yeah last night I took the cap toe out and removed the clear tube from it and made sure that was clear. But there is then the one black tube going into the pump and one coming out and into the drain bottle. So should I replace both black tubes ?

• Kevin Mahoney

August 25, 2021 at 10:48 am

I would check those for blockages as well, the one from the pump to the waste doesn’t have much pressure so won’t be clearing properly & could be the source of the problem. It was definitely a problem on my pro 3

• Robert Neill

August 25, 2021 at 10:59 am

Ok no worries, thank you Kevin. Just need to source some tubing now lol

Will update how it goes

Robert

• Robert Neill

August 25, 2021 at 11:12 am

Sorry Kevin… one other thing, can I isolate the power head clean to only the black ?

• Kevin Mahoney

August 25, 2021 at 12:26 pm

Afraid not, if you’re conscious of your ink disappearing into the wast tank, clamp off the yellow/magenta cap pipes but cyan & black are on the same cap so you’ll lose the cyan ink on the power clean. If the cap pipes are already tigon, Josero can sell you enough to do the rest

• Robert Neill

August 25, 2021 at 1:57 pm

Cool thanks Kevin 👍

• Robert Neill

August 25, 2021 at 9:51 pm

Well done a head soak for many hours today, checked all the pipes, just put it back together there, ran 2 meduim cleans and pic on right is the result. Done a 3rd medium clean and pic on the left is the result….. black dropping out again…. so so frustrating.

• Kevin Mahoney

August 25, 2021 at 10:04 pm

What ink are you running Robert? Have you spoke to your suppler?

• Robert Neill

August 25, 2021 at 10:30 pm

I believe they are called Lotus

• Robert Neill

August 25, 2021 at 10:36 pm

Do you think the inks could be the problem, as I know someone who uses them and has no problem with them, plus why only the black again…. thats what I am not getting, and the fact that when I got the printer the black head was the same, yet I don’t know what inks were being used in it previously

• Kevin Mahoney

August 25, 2021 at 10:46 pm

Well the right picture indicates that most nozzles are firing & not much deflection is present so the head itself looks in good order. Did you change the manifold on the head? Were the dampers changed? Is the cap seating properly? Not familiar with lotus ink so won’t make any judgement on the ink. I ran Nazdar in my Rolands & had very few issues, & all wet parts were warranted so some support was there to fix any problems I had. If you still can’t solve, I’d call Andy Malcolm from ADM services. The bloke is as straight as an arrow & knows Rolands like the back of his hand, he may even sort over the phone if you send him some photos

• Robert Neill

August 25, 2021 at 10:55 pm

The manifold was new, I have not changed any dampers. I have noticed that when in the home position that the magenta and yellow head sits spot on with the cap toe, yet the black and cyan head sits slightly to the right, so more to the cyan side, but i don’t know how to correct that, as if I do then I knock out the magenta and yellow position.

Viewing 1 - 15 of 38 replies

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now