Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Roland Printers Roland 540v Printer error scan motor, advice please?

• Roland 540v Printer error scan motor, advice please?

Posted by Dan Osterbery on March 15, 2012 at 2:27 pm

Hi Guys,
    I am printing 50 120 x 80cm posters on blueback paper and for some reason, I keep getting motor scan errors?
    I Cannot see anything catching or even touching!

Does this mean the motor has bit the dust?
    Does anyone have any experience of this before I call a technician?

cheers

Dan

The code it is giving me is: 0090 0080

Moe Moazeni MOE MOAZENI replied 2 years, 4 months ago 6 Members · 17 Replies
  • 17 Replies
  • ironma

March 15, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Hello Dan,
    Will try to help you!

When you receive this error, just switch off the machine (push the power key).
    Move the carriage from left to right side and back. The carriage movement must be very smooth. Is it? If not, u can oil the rail with light oil (3 in 1 will be perfect, this is WD40 product).
    Also u can check the carriage wire – u have to open right cover and u will able to see it. It’s covered with plastic material. maybe it’s cracked.
    Carriage wire is fixed to the carriage with a bolt. Check if it’s loosen.
    If u continue to receive this error after all this, maybe the time of yr motor came …

Regards,
    Mario

• ironma

March 15, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Forgot smtg! If the carriage stops every time at one and the same position, check the encoder strip in this area. Maybe it’s dirty … Clean it very carefully with a cloth, soaked with little solvent, really carefully, don’t scrub it!

• Dan Osterbery

March 15, 2012 at 3:34 pm

thanks have been cleaning the encoder as i have had this problem before but never scan motor errors? Do you know the part number for the motor by any chance?

thanks

Dan

• Warren Beard

March 15, 2012 at 4:32 pm

Hi Dan

I was getting this a lot and thought it was due to temp as it only happened in the mornings, luckily my machine was still under warranty so engineer came out and fixed it. It was dirt and lack of oil on the bar the motor runs on. I can’t tell you how or what to do to resolve but that was the cause of it

Cheers

Warren

• Dan Osterbery

March 15, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Hi warren,
    thanks mate, have spoken to roland and as it happened during printing they seem to think the motor has died. have run a few tests and still get the same problem. Will keep everyone up to date as this progresses.

why do these things always happen at the worst possible time! Ive got 70 metres of print to be ready for monday! arrghh

thanks

Dan

• Stafford Cox Stafford Cox

March 15, 2012 at 5:05 pm
    quote Dan Osterbery:

Do you know the part number for the motor by any chance?

I can’t find the service manual for that particular printer but if it’s the same as the 300V, the part number is 22805498 -00

• ironma

March 15, 2012 at 5:11 pm

well, Murphy’s law
    part number of the motor is 7876709010 ASS’Y, SCAN MOTOR SP-540V

• Dan Osterbery

March 15, 2012 at 5:16 pm

hi guys,
    i can get the motor, delivered tomorrow is this something i can change myself? I have the copeck program?

thanks

Dan

• ironma

March 15, 2012 at 5:31 pm

WIRE TENSION ADJUSTMENT:
    Try to lose a little bit the tension of the wire.
    U can do this if you remove the covers, shown on the pic.
    After that loosen the screws (black arrows)
    after that loosen the tension screw (counterclockwise let’s say from 12.00 to 11.00 a clock).
    Tighten 2 screws and try to print again.
    You have to do the AGAIN procedure through SERVICE MODE, but I think u can go on without this.

Attachments:

• ironma

March 15, 2012 at 5:36 pm

Nothing so special to change the motor.
    Will contact u later if u want – going home now.
    Try to loosen a little bit the wire and see what will happen.

• Dan Osterbery

March 16, 2012 at 7:55 am

morning all,
    well i have spoken to three different technicians and the earliest any of them can get to menorca is tuesday. So I have made the decision to go for it myself.

I have taken out the old motor and am gingerly waiting for the new one to arrive.

Any hints or tips appreciated.

cheers

Dan

• ironma

March 16, 2012 at 8:25 am

morning Dan, I’m waiting for news? :smiles:
    If u have any questions you are welcome

• Dan Osterbery

March 16, 2012 at 8:26 am

thanks ironma,
    will let you know when the part arrives.

cheers

Dan

• Dan Osterbery

March 16, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Hi,
    just to update for those following:

changed motor and had the same error, so I’ve cleaned the groove the heads slide on, and used some lubricant from our embroidery machine in the groove, I’ve lowered the head speed, and can now print!

Ive changed back to our old motor and she still runs. So i would put it down to lack of lubricant in the rail 8i also greased the pulleys at either end of the cables.

So i think that is definitely something worth doing before ordering new motors!

Big thanks to all that have helped, and specially STAFFORD who has answered the phone and helped and is very knowledgeable, and he would definitely be my technician if i was in the uk!

Thanks for great board spirit and help from all.

Dan

• ironma

March 16, 2012 at 4:05 pm

I am happy that finally, you did what I told u in my first reply!

Nice to hear that you solved your problem, well I hope the supplier will buy back the motor.
    In the future, if you have a lot of jobs, clean the rail with acetone once a month and oil it with fresh oil.
    If you can find the oil on the picture, buy it, It is amazing and it will help u a lot in for many things.

Regards,
    Mario

Attachments:

• Mpho Phatlho

May 15, 2013 at 1:56 pm

Hi, I would also like to say A BIG THANK YOU.
    I tried the cleaning method and adjusted the tension, and it worked great!

Now I am up and printing again. :smiles:

I am in South Africa and I had already phoned my supplier when the printer stopped printing on Tuesday and he was coming to put in a new motor for me on Thursday of the following week. But luckily I found this site before he came.

I did this myself and saved myself a lot of money! :smiles:

• Moe Moazeni MOE MOAZENI

January 7, 2020 at 10:16 pm

Ironma
    I am in the USA and I just wanted to tell you are my ANGEL, your post with the picture just saved my life!

I have been down for 10 days but after reading your post about the rail and tension of the cable. Your answer got my Roland SP540 up and running in I hour.

I am in a small town north of Atlanta USA and the serviceman wanted:
    3 hours travelling at $450.00
    2 hours repair at $300.00
    Total $750.00.

GOD BLESS you, your post made my day!
    Moe