MemberFebruary 24, 2020 at 10:37 pm
Been carrying this around in my pocket for years. It stops me losing them or forgetting them in the morning. Force of habit. That’s where it lives.
This evening the wife pushed past me and I dunno if it was my phone or lighter but something pushed it out and straight out the pocket it came and the wife now has a patched up finger and we need a new white bath towel.
Also got a wee 3 year girl who’s head is the same height as my pocket. Think I’ll be leaving it on my desk from now on. Freak accident, but if you like me and have a wee one better safe than sorry.
MemberFebruary 25, 2020 at 12:32 am
stuck mine in my leg and snapped the blade off
MemberFebruary 25, 2020 at 8:53 am
I have mine in my pocket all the time aswell,
It’s like have i got my phone, wallet and scalpel :awkward:
had a few accidents over the years, they are lethal things…….that sounds bad Chris :shocked:
Rob posted a picture of his blood soaked jeans years ago, a lesson to be very careful with scalpels
MemberFebruary 25, 2020 at 10:26 am
Martins correct, I had a similar problem with my scalpel when attended a wrapping event with some other uksignboard members at Grafityp. As I worked, I quickly stuck the scalpel in my back pocket without it retracting as it should and stuck an 20-30mm of blade right into my backside. It was sore, but I thought just a small jab and didn’t make a scene about it. then one of the girls on site asked if i was ok after seeing that i was leaving a trail of dripping blood out the bottom of my jeans. 😆 (see picture below)
I also snipped the end of my finger using the old-style LED Modules. The module wouldn’t cut so I applied more pressure and in doing so slightly curled my index finger into the path of the snips and off it came. 😆 (see picture below)
Another was while I was drilling an aluminium frame. we were in a rush and as i put the spinning drill down to pick up a rivet, it slid forward on the metal-topped bench and the spinning 5mm drill bit went clean through my and out the other side, right up till my finger hit the chuck. in a panic, i looked up at the ceiling, gritted my teeth and flicked the drill into reverse and tuck it back out. I ended up in the hospital the rest of the day heavily sedated. :blushing:
now before you, all think I am a regular Health & Safety nightmare! these three accidents were over a 17 year period. 😆 (see picture below)
MemberFebruary 25, 2020 at 11:15 am
Yea been there a few times. Including the leg. Was trimming some worktops I’d wrapped for a mate.. so was in the marriage proposal position. End of the scalpel caught the excess material and shot up in the air spinning away and straight in above the knee.
Was just surprised it opened itself up on my pocket. Always thought it was fairly safe place to be. Could of been worse, could of been the man hood or my wee girls face.
MemberFebruary 25, 2020 at 12:20 pm
I can trump that…The scalpels I use are fixed (non rectractable) with a plastic cover that goes over the blade. However I have lost most of the covers so don’t bother anymore and simply place the scalpel in my jacket pocket when working on vans being very careful when placing my hand in my pocket to retrieve the blade to make sure I don’t cut myself. However, last week I had a bit of a lapse and cut myself three times in one day. But then again I’m tough and these things don’t bother me :awkward:
MemberFebruary 25, 2020 at 12:30 pm
How about this one, removed a 3mtr length of application tape from the side of a van which picked up a stray 10A blade on the floor. Then proceeded to crunch up the tape in my hands to put in the bin. I was standing with a client as this happened & never made a sound as I dug the blade quietly from the palm of my hand. Still not considered a retractable
MemberFebruary 25, 2020 at 1:22 pmquote Kevin Mahoney:
That’s like screwing up scalpel blade papers thinking it has no blade in it, only to find out it has….oh the pain 🙁
I have been using scalpels since my art school days back in the late 70’s….pretty sure I could take up brain surgery when I retire….part time of obviously 😉
MemberFebruary 25, 2020 at 2:03 pm
I could have been a surgeon only I didn’t have the patients
MemberFebruary 25, 2020 at 7:05 pmquote Kevin Mahoney:
That reminds me of the joke about the Cockeyed School Teacher that got the sack because she couldn’t control her pupils.
MemberFebruary 26, 2020 at 5:25 am
MemberFebruary 26, 2020 at 5:36 am
My fitters are 23 & 19, they won’t wear anything that isn’t genuine Stone Island
MemberFebruary 26, 2020 at 12:39 pm
I know fitters like that – sad thing is they couldn’t fit a wig to a bald head [emoji23][emoji23]
Log in to reply.