Find answers, ask questions, connect with our community.

Activity Feed Forums Vinyl Cutter Discussions Mimaki Cutters Plotting to Mimaki CG-160 FX from Mac

• Plotting to Mimaki CG-160 FX from Mac

• Craig Kerr Harkness

December 8, 2015 at 9:51 am

I am having problems plotting to my Mimaki CG-160 FX from my Mac. I am using Adobe Illustrator CS2 on a Power PC G5 Mac connected to the plotter using a USB 2.0 cable and I am trying to plot from Finecut 7.0. Everything looks fine but when I click Plot, then OK on the Plot Out dialogue box I get the message "Non-Mimaki plotter is connected. Finecut is able to output to Mimaki Plotter." I have tried everything I can think of, the only thing I did notice was in the manual it said if you were using a Mac you should use "optional USB-serial adaptor (with a model number of OPT-SS036O", this is the only thing which I have not tried. Has anyone else had this problem and managed to resolve it?

• Shawn Bentley

December 8, 2015 at 11:12 am

may not help but have u tried swapped the usb port the plotter is plugged into the mac to? i have a gaphtec and sometimes if I’ve plugged it into a different usb port on the iMac it won’t recognise it?, maybe worth a try.

• Stafford Cox

December 8, 2015 at 12:46 pm

I’ve installed and trained on many CG-FX cutter setups and have never seen that. Have you checked in the setup that it definitely says ‘CG-FX (with mark sensor)’ ? Otherwise, try it on another Mac or a PC to see if that gives the same result.

Stafford

• Stafford Cox

December 8, 2015 at 12:48 pm

It might also be worth doing a ‘setup reset’ too if you haven’t already. It also be that the parameter file or firmware has messed up on it. You could try reloading them?

Stafford

• Gary Barker

December 8, 2015 at 5:17 pm

attached screen shots of our settings CG 160 FX on a mac

Attachments:

• Craig Kerr Harkness

December 14, 2015 at 5:20 pm

Thanks for the responses. I have tried the usb connection in every port in the mac and it makes no difference. Looking at the screen grabs Gary attached I am set up almost exactly the same way, only difference is I don’t have CG-FX Series as an option for the model so I have selected CG-FX(with mark sensor).

We have been using the plotter on an old Dell laptop without any problems for 2 years now and have switched back to it since I cannot get the mac to work so I am pretty sure it is nothing to do with plotter or cable. I have also found that if I don’t have the plotter in Remote mode when I try to plot it recognises that it is not in the correct mode. The mac even recognises the plotter in the system profiler.

Stafford – regarding the parameter file and firmware you mention, I am not sure how to update either of those. We don’t have the machines networked either so i would probably have to download on another machine then take over on a usb stick.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now