Find answers, ask questions, connect with our community.

Activity Feed Forums Sign Discussion CNC Router / Engrave Piranha PJH1390 laser cutter engraver machine

• Piranha PJH1390 laser cutter engraver machine

• Warren Beard

December 16, 2013 at 8:08 pm

Hi

not much details out there on this machine but wondered if anybody has seen one, have one or have any knowledge on them?

cheers

Warren

• Kevin Flowers

December 16, 2013 at 9:33 pm

Warren
    thats a radical machine judging by the name, they do seem to back their machines up, if i remember correctly its a dual head machine which is ideal if you are doing a load of small parts and 1 head can be used if you are cutting larger items but it is then slower. Are you buying new or 2nd hand you will need a chiller and extractor and it cannot be left unmanned

Kev

• Warren Beard

December 16, 2013 at 10:30 pm

Hi Kev

Yes from Radecal and would be new, they state cut up to 20mm thick acrylic. I don’t know enough about lasers yet to make a decision now so am trying to find out as much as I can about as many machines as I can as soon as I can.

I want to buy here for the backup support, don’t want cheap but want best quality and value for money.

Cheers for the feedback mate

Warren

• James Haseldine

December 17, 2013 at 12:01 am

Warren,

I bought myself a laser earlier this year and like you, wanted to go for the support along with quality rather than cheap and tearing my hair out if something went wrong.

What kind of wattage were you thinking? It may do 20mm acrylic but will most likely need to do it in multiple passes to cut all the way through which will add to your job time. The higher the wattage the quicker and deeper you can cut however they obviously do get more expensive.

A decent wattage and a good bed size if you’re doing large jobs, coupled with back-up support is what you should be looking at. If you went with air cooled, you’ll need some kind of extraction unit for the harmful gases/vapours and an air assist pump to help prevent fire – believe me, if you forget to switch it on when cutting wood or acrylic, you will see flames (hot).

James

• John Thomson

December 17, 2013 at 8:07 am

Hi Warren,

this is an imported Chinese laser.

There are hundreds of companies in China who buy in parts and assemble laser cutters/engravers.

lots of good info on Sawmillcreek.

I imported a Redsail myself 2 years ago……only issue I have had was a blown psu just out of warranty…….£80 for a new one shipped from China in 4 days.
    I replaced the noisy extractor fan with a polystyrene lined hydroponics unit which is very quiet………with a high wattage laser go for a proper chiller like the CW5000………………….mine is just a CW3000 recirculation unit …….does the job but I would like the better one.

Lasers are very versatile.

John

• Graeme Harrold

December 17, 2013 at 11:47 am

Get yourself off to Trophex at the NEC in Jan, as there will be lasers on display. Most will be for marking, but you can make contact with suppliers and judge support first hand

• Warren Beard

December 17, 2013 at 6:06 pm

Thanks Guys, I will be going to Trophex Jan but just trying to get my head around it all so I know what I’m talking about (well I try anyway 😉 )

The laser is a 120w and bed size of 1300×900, here’s a link to all the bits it comes with.

http://www.radecalmachinesales.com/product.asp?p=221

I’m just looking into all option and this is just one, need to know my options before splashing the cash 😉

• John Thomson

December 17, 2013 at 7:47 pm

Broadly speaking big laser power is great for cutting but not so good for engraving so it is important to know what your main work is going to be.

John

• Warren Beard

December 17, 2013 at 9:31 pm

100% cutting for now, not sure if I’d have any etching to do but always good to have. Mainly to cut small/ medium sign panels and flat cut letters and logos, anything else we pick up will just be a bonus.

• Russell Huffer

February 28, 2018 at 5:28 pm

Hi I realise that these are old posts but they came up in a google search i am doing about laser cutting/etching machines, we are looking to buy one and have no knowledge of such things, the two we are looking at are flat beds suitable for an 8×4 sheet one is made by piranha and the other by HPC.
    Did you purchase a laser and can any body give feedback on either of the above or even suggest a better make.

Many thanks for any help you can give me.

Kind regards

Russell.

• Steff Davison

March 2, 2018 at 11:40 am

When I was researching lasers last year, both "brands" are re-badged Chinese made machines. Both companies have their own UK technicians etc. They are low priced, if you are just cutting then the cheaper glass tubes are ok but if you plan to etch as well as cut then the way the tube "fires" when it etches means that your tube’s life will be dramatically reduced. The speed and quality on etched work is poor compared to the better western manufactured brands.

I finished up with Trotec because I wanted a work horse that produced top end results. Grafityp also are agents for a range of lasers (cant remember the brand name, they were decent people to deal with and gave good advice)

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now