Find answers, ask questions, connect with our community.

Activity Feed Forums Sign Discussion Vehicle Wrapping Oracal 970 and Mactac colour change wrap vinyl reviews?

• Oracal 970 and Mactac colour change wrap vinyl reviews?

Martyn Heath updated 6 months ago 7 Members · 11 Posts
  • Martyn Heath

March 25, 2020 at 11:02 am

Hi everyone. Im sure you are all on lockdown but would appreciate some feedback on these materials.

Currently use Avery SWF but both 970 and mactac seem much cheaper. How do they compare?

Thanks. Stay safe

• Chris Wilson

March 25, 2020 at 11:23 am

Presuming it’s Avery supreme.

There is a big difference if it is. The Avery is so easy to work with. In my opinion. Not brittle either.
    Only used the 970 and it is good. And for likes of a gloss black strip or curve or someone on a van I would consider using it. But if I had the whole of the back doors to do I would stick to supreme as it is quicker to work with.

To be honest we struggle to get our workshop above 16 degrees. Tends to be where it stays and can’t get it any higher than that at this time of year. Also got infra red heaters on the vans we are doing and I tend to put the wrap vinyl in the print room for a day or two before using, as it’s nice and toastie in there. Still find though that the 3m 1080 and the kpmf vinyls can crack if your trying to pull it back. I have none of that fear with the Avery.

• Martyn Heath

March 25, 2020 at 11:35 am

Hi chris yes i was referring to the supreme wrap.

Thanks for your feedback. Ive only ever used avery and not had any problems. Like you say easy to work with, not brittle.

These other films are 10£ plus pm cheaper than they avery but if avery is far superior then i will stick with it.

• Chris Wilson

March 25, 2020 at 12:13 pm

That’s the conclusion I have come to. That extra £10 is saving me that in my wage I would say at least and also less stress. Did the back of the door of a van just before Christmas in 970. All down bar round the hinge. Number plate recess the lot. Was looking beautiful. Went to lift it back for some heat round the hinge and crack. And that was that. Whole door off and start again.

Totally down to our workshop not being warm enough. But the vehicles tend to be 20 degrees ish constantly throughout the panel and air temp about 16. And it wouldn’t of happened with the supreme.

I should also really go on a wrap course instead of watching YouTube videos from arlon and the likes. Am sure there’s plenty of little things I could be doing to make life a little less stressful.

• Graham Scanlan

March 25, 2020 at 6:43 pm

Hi All,

There are a few more differences in these brands. Avery Supreme has a bubble free / Repositionable/ slideable adhesive and Mactac ColourWrap has a repositionable/ bubble free adhesive and are both guaranteed for deep recesses. Oracal 970 RA rapid air adhesive / Repositionable adhesive is not guaranteed for deep recesses so you would need to switch to non rapid air.

Here’s a note from the Oracal 970 application guide

Select the Right Film Type for your Application
    VH 06 2018/16 Page 3 of 7
    Applications to difficult 3D geometries and rivets: Cast films (without micro-structured adhesives)
    Applications to vehicles or vehicle parts without difficult 3D geometries: Calendered films, structured films (Premium
    Structure Cast) and films with micro-structured (RapidAir)

The gloss level is exceptional on the ColourWrap and to be fair Oracal 970 has a good gloss level too.

Colour wrap application temperature is half that of 970. +10 degrees c compared to Oracal 970 being + 21 degrees c

As you guys know the most expensive part of a wrap is labour and this where avery supreme wrap wins due to how user friendly it is.

One last tip. Use the recommended surface cleaner with the brand you are using. The Surface cleaner is matched to the adhesive and gives optimum performance.

As an example if you used Avery surface cleaner in conjunction with Mactac ColourWrap the adhesive becomes more grabby and you won’t get full experience of using the film.

• David Stevenson

March 25, 2020 at 9:54 pm

We used 970ra for years without any problems. Seemed a bit tacky but not enough to cause any real issues. Started using avery and the difference is incredible. So much softer, less tacky, and easier to apply. On some jobs the amount of time and hassle saved is unbelievable

• Martyn Heath

March 26, 2020 at 5:55 am

Thanks Graham for the info and david. :thumbsup:

• David Hammond

March 26, 2020 at 8:17 am

Did a fleet of vans with a partial wrap using the 970. First time we’d used it, but couldn’t fault it.

The main difference is the adhesive, it doesn’t slide like the 3M control tack, or the Avery Supreme, I suppose that’s why it’s cheaper. I think the avery & 3m feels thinner, but it’s not a disadvantage as you can pull the 970 off and be a little more rough with it.

It boils down to the job, your confidence and skill. If there’s a lot of coverage the Avery/3M will be the weapon of choice.

• David McDonald

March 26, 2020 at 9:48 am

Hi

As mentioned above sometimes its what you get used to. We use 970 all the time and find the balance of price, performance, and handling to be very good and the overall finish looks great. For your run rate models of van the RA has always worked in any recess as long as you follow good practice installation methods. Every van we see that we’ve done in 970 still looks good and no issues.

Cheers
    Dave

• Robert Lambie

March 26, 2020 at 4:18 pm

Based on what you have said, if you are currently using Avery Supreme and enjoy its ease of application, and you do have some issues with room temperature being just right. Then I would advise you staying with this wrapping film. However, I personally think Avery has done themselves zero favours with their price hikes over the past 18-24 months, and it is no surprise you are looking for alternatives. 

Oracal colour change wrapping film is, in my opinion, the best all-round "colour change" film based on its application, conforming performance and price bracket. The downside of Oracal 970 is it does not have any give/stretch unless heat is applied, which is not ideal when it comes to applying it. after it has been heated, it will quickly return back to its stiff feel, which doesn’t suit everyone that is not familiar with working with it, however, on things like commercial vehicles etc this works in its favour because of the large flat areas combined with demanding recesses, which it can handle well due to being a proper cast wrapping film.but when it comes to wrapping the likes of a weird bubble, curved front wing of a car, or roof, the films rigidity can be a bit annoying because it means applying heat and heat should be the last thing you move to because your basically buckling the flat sheet. and once that buckle starts, you must work with it till it is worked out over the area. This applies to any wrapping film, of course. I just mean Oracal 970 requires the heat earlier than the likes of 3M 2080 or Avery Supreme.

• Martyn Heath

March 26, 2020 at 6:30 pm

Once again great info guys much appreciated.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now