Find answers, ask questions, connect with our community.

Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussion HP Printers L26500 print quality on banner and wallpaper…

• L26500 print quality on banner and wallpaper…

Pane Talev updated 6 months, 2 weeks ago 5 Members · 13 Posts
  • Hugh Potter

February 17, 2020 at 3:30 pm

Hey all, it has come to light recently that the wallpaper I’m printing (metamark Wallart) has been having issues when printing darker colours, also the same on some banner materials….

The black and white image (top image) was on wallart wallpaper, should’ve been dark black but comes out grey, grainy and with vertical banding… I altered temps, reduced vacuum and a number of other ‘quick fixes’ to no avail, ended up printing onto a Metamark polymeric and mounting to a board instead ( indoor advertising) – it printed perfectly straight off the bat on the same generic profile.

The lighter coloured image also has the banding but also what appears to be a media clamp roller mark/s across it… no idea why as not seen it before and it was weeks ago I did the last rail lube. It’s a short term banner for this weekend so not essential it looks like a glossy magazine cover but still, I wan’t to sort it out!!

Any ideas? I know if I print on to a vinyl it will be 110%!!

PS. improved as the print went on but still a bit wishy washy looking and banded to some degree.

Attachments:

• Robert Lambie

February 17, 2020 at 7:29 pm

not banding as such, but have had the same washed-out finish issue on some banner materials. (not Metamark)
    We switched to Spandex Image Perfect Banner and works excellent. colours are very vibrant, deep and consistent.

• Hugh Potter

February 18, 2020 at 9:39 am
    quote Robert Lambie:

not banding as such, but have had the same washed-out finish issue on some banner materials. (not Metamark)
    We switched to Spandex Image Perfect Banner and works excellent. colours are very vibrant, deep and consistent.

Thanks Rob, I’ll look into the image perfect. Maybe I should look into profiles more. I did once before and had no end of bother with the old arlon wrap, and an avery product… then I found that literally everything would print great on HP’s standard glossy profile if the material was on point… vinyls are no problem but of late I’ve noticed issues with crap banner (and it is old, and crap, used for an emergency), but the wallpaper was iffy on solid darks. I’ll pop in the metamark profile and try again soon!

• Colin Crabb

February 18, 2020 at 11:00 am

Certain ‘cheaper’ banner media isn’t coated properly for Latex usage… even if they say they are! – yes it will work, but its not really suitable!
    We had this before, and was purely down to the surface coating after a lot of excuses from an old supplier and some insider info from HP.

For banner look at PaperGraphics FB6 range for Latex machines, great short term banner media that takes perfect solid colours.

Metamark Wallart, hmm not had an issue with darks, but we do create our own profiles.

One last thing, is check printheads. Some of these medias will make ‘wavy’ patterns if any of the heads are not 100%, quick plot test will show if any heads misfiring.

Edit: Your last picture is what we had with low cost banner media – it isn’t coated correctly for Latex use.

• Hugh Potter

February 18, 2020 at 12:56 pm
    quote Colin Crabb:

Certain ‘cheaper’ banner media isn’t coated properly for Latex usage… even if they say they are! – yes it will work, but its not really suitable!
    We had this before, and was purely down to the surface coating after a lot of excuses from an old supplier and some insider info from HP.

For banner look at PaperGraphics FB6 range for Latex machines, great short term banner media that takes perfect solid colours.

Metamark Wallart, hmm not had an issue with darks, but we do create our own profiles.

One last thing, is check printheads. Some of these medias will make ‘wavy’ patterns if any of the heads are not 100%, quick plot test will show if any heads misfiring.

Edit: Your last picture is what we had with low cost banner media – it isn’t coated correctly for Latex use.

Thanks Colin,
    I’ll try the metamark profiles and see how we get on with the wallart, I’ve used quite a lot of it and like it so want to figure it out rather than bail.

Defo not the correct banner, it was a real old inkjet banner I was given and have slowly used up on emergency / very short term disposable jobs. it’s never printed this bad before but I shalln’t use it again.

Thanks for the recommendations.

• Pane Talev

February 19, 2020 at 11:51 am

I was using cheapest Metamark banner and result was washed looking print. Looked like the ink was soaked in the banner.
    Changed to their heavier banner material with much smoother face and print improved drastically.
    I’m always printing banners on slow.
    The only thing that I don’t like about the 400g banner is double sided tape hemming is not looking as smooth as with the thin one.

• Colin Crabb

February 19, 2020 at 12:55 pm

Heavy blue – solid, no issues.

Attachments:

• Robert Lambie

February 23, 2020 at 3:45 pm
    quote Hugh Potter:

Thanks Rob, I’ll look into the image perfect. Maybe I should look into profiles more. I did once before and had no end of bother with the old Arlon wrap, and an avery product… then I found that literally everything would print great on HP’s standard glossy profile if the material was on point… vinyls are no problem but of late I’ve noticed issues with crap banner (and it is old, and crap, used for an emergency), but the wallpaper was iffy on solid darks. I’ll pop in the metamark profile and try again soon!

I am surprised on your having issues with the Arlon wrap mate. The old Arlon wrap was the deciding factor for us to switch to Arlon at the time after we just purchased an HP Latex 26500 around 7 years ago now. The Arlon wrap was the only wrap vinyl at the time we could find where we could hit the best vibrant red that our customer required for a large fleet of vehicles.
    Now that said, the newer HP machines do hit the colour range and vibrancy much better than the 26500, and we have both. so i can compare side by side.

Generic profiles work. but always try getting the latest profile from the actual vinyl manufacturer if possible. granted, older machine profiles aren’t updated like the newer ones are.

• Hugh Potter

February 24, 2020 at 1:20 pm
    quote Robert Lambie:

quote Hugh Potter:

Thanks Rob, I’ll look into the image perfect. Maybe I should look into profiles more. I did once before and had no end of bother with the old Arlon wrap, and an avery product… then I found that literally everything would print great on HP’s standard glossy profile if the material was on point… vinyls are no problem but of late I’ve noticed issues with crap banner (and it is old, and crap, used for an emergency), but the wallpaper was iffy on solid darks. I’ll pop in the metamark profile and try again soon!

I am surprised on your having issues with the Arlon wrap mate. The old Arlon wrap was the deciding factor for us to switch to Arlon at the time after we just purchased an HP Latex 26500 around 7 years ago now. The Arlon wrap was the only wrap vinyl at the time we could find where we could hit the best vibrant red that our customer required for a large fleet of vehicles.
    Now that said, the newer HP machines do hit the colour range and vibrancy much better than the 26500, and we have both. so i can compare side by side.

Generic profiles work. but always try getting the latest profile from the actual vinyl manufacturer if possible. granted, older machine profiles aren’t updated like the newer ones are.

Hey Rob,
    I bought the Arlon based on your recommendation! When I printed it with a generic gloss profile it was perfect, perhaps I was given a cacky profile?!

• John Thomson

February 25, 2020 at 8:40 am

a poor profile would not cause stripy prints……I would suggest the coating on the material was not suitable for latex ( or a part of a faulty batch)

John

• Hugh Potter

March 5, 2020 at 1:23 pm

Just reviving this guys… Please ignore previous banner discussion etc..

Have got the proper profiles now for the metamark wallart, still getting the crappy vertical banding and washed out look.. any ideas? I’m going to try again with a much lower vacuum but am reluctant to waste another 4mtr of material..

I don’t suppose anyone would share heir profile settings for this media? Pretty please?

TIA,
    Hugh

• Hugh Potter

March 9, 2020 at 10:09 am
    quote Hugh Potter:

I don’t suppose anyone would share heir profile settings for this media? Pretty please?

TIA,
    Hugh

[in your best tiny voice] Anybody? Please? Help?

• Pane Talev

March 10, 2020 at 7:33 pm

Hi Hugh. We have different printers (I have Mutoh 1624x) and I doubt that I will help, but I like to share my approach.

I use one profile for most of my printing. (Used agency proof to match to and spend around 5h one day + few meters of vinyl , and since quite happy with results)

I print all my work on 720×1440 Arlon profile. Very rarely I use 720×720 Arlon but that is shaky and leaves banding and staines on certain vector or jpg files, hence I stick to my custom 720×1440 Arlon profile.

I dont print a lot, but everything that comes out of my shop is high quality on banner, canvas, paper etc.

I used to struggle a lot with print quality. So far I have spent minimum of 15-20h to test printing profiles with old roll of vinyl laying around. It helped me a lot to know my printers capabilities.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now