Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Roland Printers First time printing banner – VS540

• First time printing banner – VS540

Posted by Matthew Boulton on June 26, 2018 at 1:15 pm

Hi All,

We have bought in some banner material (From Grafityp) to try out printing some banners for around the office before offering this to customers.

So far we have only printed to vinyl and having to get a head replaced a couple of months back due to a nasty head strike, I don’t think we could afford to go down that route again… :blushing:

Have heard that banner material can be quite temperamental and a head strike could cause some serious damage. So I just wanted to ask some tips before attempting to print it. We have a Roland VS540, i’ve heard lowering the heater right down helps, making sure the head is set to high…

Anything else I should know? What temps to set etc.

Cheers!

Chris Wilson Chris Wilson replied 3 years, 11 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • David Stevenson

June 26, 2018 at 1:30 pm
    quote Matthew Boulton:

Hi All,

We have bought in some banner material (From Grafityp) to try out printing some banners for around the office before offering this to customers.

So far we have only printed to vinyl and having to get a head replaced a couple of months back due to a nasty head strike, I don’t think we could afford to go down that route again… :blushing:

Have heard that banner material can be quite temperamental and a head strike could cause some serious damage. So I just wanted to ask some tips before attempting to print it. We have a Roland VS540, i’ve heard lowering the heater right down helps, making sure the head is set to high…

Anything else I should know? What temps to set etc.

Cheers!

Have a close look at your head, you’ll probably find there’s a lever to lift it. In my pics it’s the white horizontal lever which you lift up to raise the head. This is on an sp540 which I’d say is similar

• Chris Wilson Chris Wilson

June 26, 2018 at 1:42 pm

We run banner through our vs 540 all the time. No problems really.

I would however make sure all the pinch rollers are in. Unwind a bit of the roll at the back as rolls can be quite sticky and it tugs instead of running freely.
    Stick to banner profiles for your ink type.

Grafityp banner is not the best to work with.