Find answers, ask questions, connect with our community.

Activity Feed Forums Sign Making Discussions Vinyl 3m 3630-69 Marking Film

• 3m 3630-69 Marking Film

Dan Osterbery updated 11 years, 9 months ago 2 Members · 5 Posts
  • Dan Osterbery

June 2, 2009 at 12:57 pm

Hi Guys,
    please excuse the ignorance, we have never used this material before! I was under the impression form the swatches that it is a translucent vinyl for light boxes with excellent exterior durability. I do not know if we have been sent the correct vinyl? Our says marking film on the back? it does not appear to be translucent, and it appears to be very low tack?? Has anyone worked with this before?? Are there any special fitting instructions?? I am waiting for supplier to re-open and get back to me, but would love to get some help now………

thanks
    Dan

p.s. if it makes a difference it is duranodic brown

• Stuart Taylor

June 2, 2009 at 2:23 pm

Hi Dan

Not my favorite 3M colour !!

If you’ve received the correct product from your supplier it should be a dark shade of what can only be described as dirty Brown/Grey – It should be on a transparent liner marked "Scotchcal Marking Film" – The 3630 range does have an initial low tack to ease application in large areas of vinyl … do not use a high tack app tape as you may have problems removing it …… and yes this particular colour is very dense and therefore will have little or no light transmission but is still part of the translucent range and has the same surface gloss level (more like a semi matt)

Hope this helps

Stuart

• Dan Osterbery

June 2, 2009 at 2:44 pm

brilliant! thanks stuart I was hoping you were out there! it was the marking film on the back that threw us!! Combined with the low tack we thought it was a masking vinyl!! Would you recommend a paper backing rather than plastic then?

thanks again

Dan
    p.s. apply wet or dry? we are sticking it to banner fronted lightboxes!!
    thanks our supplier is on a siesta till 5pm and i wanted to get it done today!!

• Stuart Taylor

June 2, 2009 at 3:51 pm

Hi Dan

If you’re applying to a Flexible Skin I would definitely suggest a dry application as the low tack adhesive is quite forgiving (wet could take a long time to dry and can get quite messy) – If the surface is very smooth you could try wet but if dimpled you will get a lot of water gathering in the grooves of the flexible skin.

We would normally recommend a low tack paper tape for translucent on a large area but I know a lot of our customers would also use low tack plastic app tape.

Stuart

• Dan Osterbery

June 2, 2009 at 3:52 pm

thanks!

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now