Find answers, ask questions, connect with our community.

Activity Feed Forums Sign Making Discussions Gallery 300 foot Stadium Sign, Banners, trackside adverts and Flat-cut letters.

• 300 foot Stadium Sign, Banners, trackside adverts and Flat-cut letters.

Jeff Rea updated 2 months, 2 weeks ago 9 Members · 12 Posts
  • Robert Lambie

Administrator
    December 13, 2020 at 1:06 am

There appears to be more members posting their work these days, so I thought I would join in after recently being asked by one of our members, what sort of stuff does my sign company do?

This Job is not recent, about 24 months ago now, I think. It is not the best looking, design-wise, nor difficult, other than its size! But the turnaround time for my small company on this project was fast when all is considered.

I met the customer on a Monday morning and asked to rebrand a football stadium on-time for a Scottish celebrity charity football match on the Saturday, which would be televised. Not easy when you don’t even know what they want, no sizes, nothing!
    In short, we worked around the clock, dayshift, back-shift and night-shift too!
    The stadium is local, so as soon as we had some of the signs made, we were out installing them while the rest where being made back at the work. then as they became ready, the next batch was dropped off to be installed. It was organised chaos, but worked well and we made the deadline by around 5am on the Saturday morning.
    I didn’t hang around to meet the celebs or watch the game, i went home to my bed!!

The job consisted of:

* Removing all existing Signs
    * 300-foot Advertising Sign
    * Stadium Front Lettering
    * x20no. – 20ft x 5ft banners
    * x10no. – 20ft x 750mm – trackside advertising signs
    * x15no. – Roll-up Stands

The large advertising sign was 300ft in total, 150 feet x 2m deep each.
    All 3mm SkyBond composite with Oracal 751cast vinyl on the face.
    It was straightforward enough to install, but the big problem was keeping something that long, between two lines of raised Red cladding. We quickly found out the cladding fluctuated up and down by a couple of inches. Not as much a big deal for the lower sign, but the top one had to be checked and double-checked every panel that went up. Not good when your 30ft up holding a big panel that acts like a sail in the slightest of winds.

The banners and trackside adverts were straight forward enough. we left them printing overnight on both our latex printers. so we came in the next morning ready for hemming and mounting via our rollers roller.

The stadium front lettering was 20mm thick foamex style PVC, router cut and raised on locators. straight forward enough, but fitted at night into hard red-brick. yet another thing to slow us up!

• Kevin Mahoney

December 13, 2020 at 11:35 am

Fair play mate, can’t say I’m a fan of fixing sheets at height, a slight breeze at ground level becomes a force 10 once you get up there👏🏻

• Karen White

December 13, 2020 at 2:29 pm

Wow, now that is a big sign. I would not know where to start with something that size. Very impressive!

The White letters are so much better than the ones in the “before” photo. What were they thinking of putting red letters on red bricks?

• Martyn Heath

December 14, 2020 at 6:17 am

Very impressive! and a nice little earner i expect.

That turnaround time is unbelievable

• Peter Cassidy

December 14, 2020 at 10:40 am

That is crazy big! I like seeing the process photos too.

• David Hammond

December 14, 2020 at 10:45 am

Hat’s off to you & the team 👍

That’s some job, even without the timeline involved.

Interested why you opted for Cut Vinyl, over printed, or direct to substrate? Did it suit your production method better?

• Robert Lambie

Administrator
    December 14, 2020 at 10:01 pm

@MartynHeath

Correct mate and the customer told me upfront he knew it was a big ask, so charge accordingly. Not often you get that sort of knod to just “get on with it”. Makes life so much easier!

@DavidHammond

I guess It did suit me better mate, but in more ways than one.
    I wanted to use a cast because I knew the advert was for a minimum of 5 years on a south face, so colour stability was most important.
    In cut vinyl, using the RollsRoller it was just a case of flooding a ton of panels mint green. then cut vinyl text on top. the bottom sign was just text. We had two Graphtec cutters knocking out 3 letters at a time in a matter of minutes. it made easy laying up of the text and if a mistake was made it was easy fixed too.

If we took the print route, it would use something like:

* 3.5 full rolls of digital
    * 3.5 full rolls of laminate
    * Ink
    * Print time for about 180 square metres of printing
    * lamination time.
    * Trimming-up time
    * Mounting and alignment of print tiles.

All doable of course, but as you said, it did suit me better and the cut vinyl option gave me peace of mind on the colour matching and stability.
    It also left the printers free to run banners, roll-up stands and trackside advert boards amongst other customers work.

@MartynHeath

@KevinMahoney
    @KarenWhite

@Peter-Cassidy

Thank you!

• Martin Cole

December 15, 2020 at 11:33 am

Incredible job and turn around in just 5 days is unbelievable,👏

we all get peed off when a customer wants their van done the same week.

Why such short notice from them out of interest, surely they know it was to be televised etc..🙁

( those magic words, ( ‘its a big ask so charge accordingly ‘) don’t worry we will

• Robert Lambie

Administrator
    December 15, 2020 at 2:57 pm

@MartinCole

The customer is an existing customer and friend of mine.
    The owner of the football stadium is a mate of mine since we were teenagers.
    We were installing signs in the stadium on the Friday afternoon and i was chatting with the owner and he asked if I knew anyone that would sponsor something for the charity match?
    I said I did, but knowing my customer, if he gets involved it would need to be something worthwhile. I arranged a meeting between them on the Monday morning, and by the end of the meeting he had renamed the full stadium on a 5-10 year deal.
    So the next question from them both was, “can this be done on time for the Game on Saturday Rob???” It was a big ask, but I would have been a mug to say i couldn’t do it, and i like a challenge anyway!

Just to make matters worse for me. I was also moving house that week. picked the keys up on the Wednesday. 😬

• Vincent Francis

December 15, 2020 at 3:15 pm

You turned that around in 5 days! Impressive! I need some guys with superman pants on here. Nice job

• Robert Lambie

Administrator
    December 15, 2020 at 9:25 pm

Thanks, Vinnie, it always amazes me how much work can be done during the night. No phones ringing, nobody to deal with, just get on with things. I average 5 hours sleep 7 days as it is, so I didn’t mind. That said, I think I slept for about two days. 😀

• Jeff Rea

December 16, 2020 at 10:18 pm

I would have been a mug to say i couldn’t do it, and i like a challenge anyway!

If i had been in your shoes i would have said Yes also. The only difference would be, I dont ever get asked to do stuff that size!!!

great job!

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now