Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Roland Printers Worth replacing XC540 with a VG540?

• Worth replacing XC540 with a VG540?

Posted by Paul Hodges on October 12, 2021 at 9:25 am

Hello All,

Looking for a few opinions from you guys who have some experience with the VG540.

We are currently using an XC540, no real issues, quite reliable, but we’ve been offered a VG540 by someone closing down, probably at a decent price. What I want to know is, is it worth replacing one with the other? If we had space I would keep both but we probably won’t have, so I would have to move the XC540 on.

Is the VG a much better option? I know the print quality is better, I know the inks system is different. The XC doesn’t really have issues in either of those departments though. I did speak to one of the Roland guys though, who said the parts for the XC would soon start becoming unavailable, I don’t know what time frame that will be but if true, it might force the change anyway? Anyone else with an XC heard this?

Paul Hodges replied 2 years, 5 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • David Hammond

October 12, 2021 at 10:18 am

Depends on how much use the machine’s had, and how well it’s been maintained.

We have the VF2, and use roland connect, which provides a dashboard view, and gives you an insight into the use the machines had. It provides a handy pie chart of usage/sleep/standby, and will give a grade on the health of the machine depending how well they’ve followed the maintenance.

I’m all for upgrading machines, better to pre-empt any problems, rather than something go wrong and having to sort something in a panic.

• Paul Hodges

October 12, 2021 at 11:35 am

Thanks David.

The VG has just had a service, and only had light use as far as I’m aware. Maybe upgrading to the newer machine is a wise step then.

• Robert Lambie

Administrator
    October 13, 2021 at 1:24 pm

If the new machine is better and in better condition, I think I would opt for the new machine and sell the old one “while you can”.

The issue with printers and cutters is that they are like cars. you have no real knowledge of how well they have been driven or patched up over the time they have been used.

If it was me, I would move to the new machine and run it alongside the old (if possible).
    this way you can see if you are going to have any running problems or faults arise from the machine while in use.

Keep in mind that solvent printers hate to be left idle for any real length of time, so don’t forget to run them “both” at least once a day, just to keep the inks moving, while you make your mind up.

• Paul Hodges

October 14, 2021 at 10:08 am

Thanks Rob,

Space is the issue, would love to have both and run them, at least we would have a back up if one goes wrong etc, but realistically we only have space for one. I know the background of this VG and it’s only had light use, seems like a better choice going forward, as long as it’s as much of a work horse as the XC has been