Activity Feed Forums Vinyl Cutter Discussions Mimaki Cutters where can i get a blade holder for an old SC-650?

• where can i get a blade holder for an old SC-650?

Posted by Alex V on August 17, 2009 at 8:50 am

I realise this is an old cutter but we’re now onto our last blade holder (roller bearings have given up the ghost on the last two) and i’d like to source a few spare holders however google is only giving me blade suppliers and each time I ask if they can provide blade holders the answer is no. Anyone able to point me in the right direction ?

*edit* Should have said i’ve already spoken to Edward Mathias re smart knives but was after a traditional holder as well if possible.

I did use the search function before asking and again my apologies if i’ve missed something obvious 🙂

Thanks

Alex

Colin Crow replied 14 years, 8 months ago 5 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • Chris Windebank

August 17, 2009 at 8:55 am

sorry, are you referring to the cylindrical plastic object that holds the blade itself? or the clamp on the machine

• Brian Hays

August 17, 2009 at 8:57 am

You could try Art Systems in Nottingham (0115) 9380 380. They distribute Mutoh’s.

• Alex V

August 17, 2009 at 9:17 am

Sorry Chris I should have been clearer, it’s the cylindrical plastic blade holder with metal top adjuster that you insert the blade and spring into, this then fits into the carriage/clamp on the cutter.

Cheers Brian i’ll give them a call now and report back 🙂

• Alex V

August 17, 2009 at 9:44 am

Brian you were spot on, many thanks 🙂

They had one in stock though at £90.94+VAT and £8 P&P I think the Smart Knife option makes more sense for me. I’d rather buy another two spare smart knives ‘just incase’ and spend the other £50 on 5 blade swaps than spend £90.94 on a blade holder alone.

Thanks 🙂

Alex

• Colin Crow

August 17, 2009 at 1:43 pm

Spandex sell these at around the same price and also the envision blade holder is identical if you can find one cheap?

But to be honest, since using the smartknife I wouldn’t go back to standard blades now as the quality of the "cheap" blades is so variable and the original blades are ridiculously priced.

Colin

• Tobias Redig

August 17, 2009 at 1:58 pm
    quote Colin Crow:

Spandex sell these at around the same price and also the envision blade holder is identical if you can find one cheap?

I was quoted £550 for just the knife holder for an Envision375. I checked that with the weight of the holder and the current gold price and came to the conclusion that it was literally worth it’s weight in gold…

• Colin Crow

August 17, 2009 at 3:12 pm

In that case I would buy the Fasttrack 650 holder for your envision – it must be a bargain! 😀

Colin

• Tobias Redig

August 19, 2009 at 6:17 am

So does the SC-650 knife holder fit a Gerber Envision 375? They look rather similar.

• Colin Crow

August 19, 2009 at 6:38 am

The ones I had were fully interchangeable and worked fine so I doubt anything has changed much.

Colin

• Tobias Redig

August 19, 2009 at 10:08 am

£90 for one of those, quite alot cheaper!

This seems to be the norm with Spandex though, everything is usually *alot* more expensive when it’s branded with a Gerber logo.

• Colin Crow

August 19, 2009 at 10:12 am

To be fair, the envision holder is a posh anodised aluminium body as opposed to the Mutoh plastic one, although probably not worth the £400+

Colin