Activity Feed Forums Vinyl Cutter Discussions Summa Cutters Upgrading from a Graphtec CE 6000 60cm to a Summa D120RL

• Upgrading from a Graphtec CE 6000 60cm to a Summa D120RL

Posted by Martyn Heath on April 6, 2020 at 2:51 pm

Hi chaps,

Im looking to finally get a larger plotter. Currently running the graphtec. Its been great. I would replace with the larger graphtec however no suppliers out here.

So had an offer on this summa d120rl. From what ive read on here you are all very pleased with summa. Main thing that worries me is the transition period. Im all setup for the graphtec, illustrator plugin straight to a simple cutting master.

Anyone run their summa straight from illustrator?

Atm i add my contour cutline and onyx and my mutoh do the rest. Automatic reg marks etc.

Thanks. Stay indoors!

Martyn Heath replied 3 years, 10 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Peter Munday

April 6, 2020 at 4:16 pm

Hi Martyn

I run my Summa from a plugin for Corel but the ilustrator version is also on the disc, the person selling the cutter should have the disc but if you get stuck let me know.

Peter

• Peter Munday

April 6, 2020 at 4:18 pm

Just re-read that and see your on about print and cut in which case you will need to run it through Onyx, in the cutter set up just choose Summa from list and model no and it will do the rest for you.

• Colin Crabb

April 6, 2020 at 4:33 pm

Very simple to do – in illustrator create & save a library spot colour, with a name such as ‘ContourCut’, this will be your cut path.
    In Onyx – CUT server – managed cutters – add your new Summa – then in ‘cut layer option’ add the name of your newly created spot colour (CountourCut). Onyx will now know this is not to be printed, and your cut path, which will auto generate every time you print the job.
    So basically the same as Mutoh!

For vinyl cutting, Summa comes with a control program that will load & cut your .ai files.

Hope that helps :smiles:

• Martyn Heath

April 7, 2020 at 5:38 am

Thanks guys, well explained. Pretty straight forward it seems.

• Martyn Heath

June 18, 2020 at 9:23 am

Any summa users – Does the menu have saved setting options? im sure theres a better way of explaining it i just cant think of the right words. On my graphtec i have 4 different modes which i have setup, i can switch between them as i wish and changes the setting for knife depth, speed etc. Its a great feature and im hoping the summa has the same?