Activity Feed Forums Vinyl Cutter Discussions Summa Cutters Summa S160T, looking for views & opinions please?

• Summa S160T, looking for views & opinions please?

Posted by Frank Conway on April 1, 2012 at 1:48 pm

Hey.

Been thinking of new equipment to get for my new business. After a long time of searching it seems I have narrowed it down to SUMMA. I have heard nothing but good from them.

Thinking of the S160T. I like how it can cut thick materials an how it can track so accurately.

I’m thinking of cutting card (possibly 500ish gsm/0.8mm thick. I assume the SUMMA could handle this sort of material? Is it best to keep the card flat?

Anyone else got one?

:police: Mod-Edit
    * Please use "Descriptive Topic Titles" when posting.
    * This posts Title has now been edited.

Some things HERE you may wish to think about.

Please take a moment to look over our Board Rules.

Fabrice Menard replied 11 years, 6 months ago 5 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Nigel Pugh

April 1, 2012 at 3:59 pm

If you are looking to spend that much on a cutter to cut the thickness you describe then you might also look at laser engrave and cut machines as you are in terms of spend in the same ballpark.

Wolfie

• George Zerbino

April 1, 2012 at 5:36 pm

Frank,

I have a S160D (drag knife) and two S75T (tangential knife).
    Never tried to cut card, but the T version do have some cutting power.
    I would suggest to contact Summa and ask them directly if it will do the job.

Very good machines, hence why I bought 3.

George

• Frank Conway

April 1, 2012 at 8:13 pm

Thanks for the advice guys.

quote :

If you are looking to spend that much on a cutter to cut the thickness you describe then you might also look at laser engrave and cut machines as you are in terms of spend in the same ballpark.

Wolfie

Never thought about getting a laser cutter/engraver. Would be very handy for some other things I have in mind, but doesn’t seem like something I would use so much compared to a tangential cutter seeing as it would be able to cut cut vinyl and long runs of contour cutting for stickers and posters etc. The place I used to work for has a laser engraver now so I’m sure my old boss wouldn’t mind me having a go for short runs 🙂 Also, Nigel, I see you work for Grafityp. Would you mind if I asked you a few questions on what media would be best for some applications I have in mind for this new business or should I shoot an e-mail to them directly?

quote :

Yeah that’s a good idea. Will get on that now actually. Thanks 🙂

• Martin Pearson

April 1, 2012 at 8:54 pm

If you want to cut a lot of card then you might be better looking a a decent second user flat bed plotter rather than a roll fed machine.

• Nigel Pugh

April 4, 2012 at 11:34 am
    quote Frank Conway:

Thanks for the advice guys.

quote :

Wolfie

Never thought about getting a laser cutter/engraver. Would be very handy for some other things I have in mind, but doesn’t seem like something I would use so much compared to a tangential cutter seeing as it would be able to cut cut vinyl and long runs of contour cutting for stickers and posters etc. The place I used to work for has a laser engraver now so I’m sure my old boss wouldn’t mind me having a go for short runs 🙂 Also, Nigel, I see you work for Grafityp. Would you mind if I asked you a few questions on what media would be best for some applications I have in mind for this new business or should I shoot an e-mail to them directly?

quote :

Yeah that’s a good idea. Will get on that now actually. Thanks 🙂

Frank better send an email to our sales office or my email address then I can get the answers you need.

Nigel

• Fabrice Menard

October 16, 2012 at 10:14 am
    quote Nigel Pugh:

Wolfie

Nigel, can a laser cut machine do kiss cut like for cut vinyl or is only usable for cut thourgh the whole media?

Which model of machine did you think of?