Activity Feed Forums Vinyl Cutter Discussions Summa Cutters Summa D120SE – Engineer Required (North Essex)

• Summa D120SE – Engineer Required (North Essex)

Posted by Adrian Neill on August 5, 2011 at 11:24 am

Good afternoon everyone.

Unfortunately after many years of faithful service our Summa D120SE has let us down. First thing it did was to blow the fuse in the switch …. this was replaced but still didn’t work. After taking the thing apart we’ve located that the fuse on the internal board has blown. We’ve tried changing this fuse, but it just keeps blowing. We took that board out to check that there was no dry joints, but it all looks ok to the untrained eye.

Does anyone know of any Summa engineers who cover the North Essex area ?
    Think we might need to call someone in as with our limited knowledge we can’t locate the problem.

Doug Pulver replied 12 years, 7 months ago 3 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Tim Painter

August 5, 2011 at 12:31 pm

What rating is the fuse on the board that blows?

Just wondered if it is mains side of things or lower voltage.

I’m not familiar with the D120 – what boards do you have inside it, separate
    power supply board or one board with everything on it?

• Adrian Neill

August 5, 2011 at 2:05 pm

Hi Tim ….. the fuse that blew on the board is a 4 amp. (there is also a 2amp in the switch assembly, but this fuse is fine now).

There are two boards in the plotter, i’m presuming the board in question is for the power supply as the switch goes right to it and there is a large heat sink on the side of it, but this is a guess …… there are two boards in the plotter.

• Doug Pulver

August 6, 2011 at 1:14 am

Hello Adrian.

I have a Summa D60 that the power supply just went out on. My switch fuse was good and so was the one on the power supply board. I checked mine with a digital VOM on the AC scale you should have AC line voltage 120 here in the states White and Black wires. on the DC scale you should have 27 volts red and black wires. The power supply from Summa is about $400us I found one online for $29.99us + shipping. I changed it out myself in about 20 minutes.

The power Supply is a Mean Well brand, model # LPS-100-27. look at the label on the large black capacitor. I got mine on eBay. It should work with 220 volts.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200784810163?ss … 1423.l2649

It was very well packaged.

I attached a photo of my old power supply

Good luck

Just updated the link

Attachments:

• Adrian Neill

August 8, 2011 at 11:24 am

Hi Doug, thanks so much for that !! That’s incredibly helpful !!

We’re going to try another fuse in the board (if we can get hold of a 4 amp one), then if not I think we’ll order one of those and plug it in and see.

• Doug Pulver

August 9, 2011 at 2:53 am

Glad I could help.

• Adrian Neill

September 9, 2011 at 12:36 pm

Hi Doug,

We ordered that part from that person and wired it in and it now works a treat !! Saved us a bit of money too. Cost was around £65.00 in the end with import tax etc.

So a HUGE thanks for that, it’s most appreciated. :thumbup2:

• Doug Pulver

September 9, 2011 at 7:22 pm

Great news, happy to help.