Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Roland Printers SP300v print heater very slow

• SP300v print heater very slow

Posted by Dan Giddings on December 31, 2018 at 10:40 am

Hi,
    I’m running a SP300v and the heaters are a little strange. I’ve had the machine a few months now and it’s always been the same.
    The dryer will heat up to temperature very quickly but the print heater takes a very long time to warm up. As an example I’ve switched the machine on 20 minutes ago and set the print heater to 38, it started on 25 when switched on and it’s currently sitting on 29 and still showing now heating.

I’ve been google searching for potential fixes/causes but I’ve not come up with much.

Could anyone give me some things to look at to potentially sort this out?

Many thanks

Dan Giddings replied 5 years, 3 months ago 3 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Phill Fenton

December 31, 2018 at 11:10 am

Hi Dan. You can bypass the warm up period by pressing the pause button. This causes the printer to start printing even though the heaters haven’t reached their Pre set level. As to the underlying cause, I suspect the heater may be on its way out, but the printer will still run if you bypass the heating step as I’ve just described.

• Chris Wool

December 31, 2018 at 1:07 pm

if it starts at 25 must be a very warm environment unless the sp does not show below that, use your infer red temp gauge to see if something is lying got a feeling the sensor is iffy. warning the heater wiring and element wire is mains voltage.
    or if its cold and no vinyl loaded the fans cool the bed heater making a slow warm up

• Chris Wool

January 1, 2019 at 12:33 am

Hi Dan. You can bypass the warm up period by pressing the pause button.

thanks for that gem Phil saves a lot of time while the white ink is setting up on the vs

have a good year

• Dan Giddings

January 2, 2019 at 4:02 pm

Hi guys,
    Yeah I’ve been bypassing since I’ve had the machine, otherwise it ends up timing out.
    25 is the lowest it goes before switching off. Just seems strange that it does heat up, just very slowly. The heater is something I haven’t found much detail on.

• Chris Wool

January 2, 2019 at 7:44 pm
    quote Dan Giddings:

Hi guys,
    Yeah I’ve been bypassing since I’ve had the machine, otherwise it ends up timing out.
    25 is the lowest it goes before switching off. Just seems strange that it does heat up, just very slowly. The heater is something I haven’t found much detail on.

could be the bed heater is not working and the heat is coming from the dryer there is a separate fuse for the heater system on some 2 fuses one for bed one for dryer.. remember its mains voltage
    as it shows a slight increase over time would say the temp sensor in the bed is ok so possibly the element is not being switched on or failed. if testing the voltage is pulsed on and off as the temp heats up. the on pulses get shorter as the temp gets near to the set temp. to stop it going over the set temp.

• Dan Giddings

January 2, 2019 at 10:25 pm

Thanks, I’ll check my service manual to see if I can find the fuses