Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Roland Printers Roland SP540i – All New Parts but Still No Joy.

• Roland SP540i – All New Parts but Still No Joy.

Posted by Marc Heath on October 17, 2019 at 6:32 pm

Hey all

I wonder if someone could offer some advice on what I could do next with my Roland SP540i

To begin with I purchased it used/not working. Apparently it had been sat a while (12months) maybe turned off etc etc. I knew it would be blocked up but with no errors and everything ‘working’ I bit the bullet.

I purchased a service kit with new dampers, capping, pump, tubes, prinheads the other day from signinchina. I did try and get from Digipint but I don’t know what’s happened to them and that’s a whole different post.

Anyway fitted it all, I’ve played with a VP300 before so had confidence to do it. Fixed a couple DTG printers also.

Now I just can’t get a good nozzle check. To begin with and after pulling ink through the dampers I did get mostly 3 channels with Cyan only firing a few nozzles. More playing around that night and it seemed after I pulled ink through the capping this time I at first got a weird blue/grey colour on both CK channels and after that I got a good CMYK check. Left it as it was late but low and behold the next morning it was bad again.
    This time with MY dropping out aswell as terrible CK
    I did figure the tube from the pump to the waste was a little blocked up and replaced that (tricky little thing).
    So now after multiple cleans, pulling ink though here and there it just seems to be getting worse.
    Like before ink was sitting in all the tubes to the damper and the dampers half full. Now (although I’m now really low on ink and have ordered more) inks not even in the tubes. I can still pull more through but again bad check straight after. I’ve soaked and cleaned the new heads and it made no difference. I am just at a bit of a loss what to try next. I have on order with some ink new damper bolts for the smaller type dampers that were sent in the kit. I originally purchased the larger damper and fitted those as that’s what it had on it originally.

here are some pics and suggestions welcome. cheers 😆

Unknown Member replied 4 years, 6 months ago 8 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • Chris Wilson

October 17, 2019 at 7:38 pm

Well I don’t know very much.

If the machine has been sitting for a while it could be ink dependent.
    We had a similar issue with our vs. Expect in working order. Blue suddenly dropped out. New head. Ok for few prints. Blue gone again. New head and all the trimmings. Nothing. Replaced all the lines. New ink, complete clean out, new head again and BAM no issues since. Our Roland engineer thinks that flakes of ink stuck to the ink lines has flaked off (apparently this happens) and was sitting on top of the head. When he replaced the head it just pulled more through.
    And that’s why the nozzles where bouncing around in and out. Or a thick ink that had gone wrong.

Thankfully we pay for cover… otherwise I’d be living in a cardboard box.. with all my duff heads of course.

• Robert Lambie

October 17, 2019 at 7:42 pm

I am doing this from memory, many moons ago now.

the pin on the manifold is what the Damper is mounted on, which sits on the head etc.
    If the "Pin" on the manifold splits through wear and tear, or if you do it while changing a damper, it loses suction when the ink is pulled through. could it possibly be something like this?

Attachments:

• Marc Heath

October 18, 2019 at 8:43 am
    quote Chris Wilson:

Well I don’t know very much.

If the machine has been sitting for a while it could be ink dependent.
    We had a similar issue with our vs. Expect in working order. Blue suddenly dropped out. New head. Ok for few prints. Blue gone again. New head and all the trimmings. Nothing. Replaced all the lines. New ink, complete clean out, new head again and BAM no issues since. Our Roland engineer thinks that flakes of ink stuck to the ink lines has flaked off (apparently this happens) and was sitting on top of the head. When he replaced the head it just pulled more through.
    And that’s why the nozzles where bouncing around in and out. Or a thick ink that had gone wrong.

Thankfully we pay for cover… otherwise I’d be living in a cardboard box.. with all my duff heads of course.

Yeah that’s a worry. It was crusty after the printhead but seemed flowing before the dampers. I think I need some more cleaning fluid then and try and reverse waterfall the heads. Maybe a cleaning cartridge on the lines and pull that through and let it sit for a day too. Problem is getting it, I just ordered from digiprint again 3 carts trying to use credit from the last two times they never sent the stuff and yet again they only send me 2 carts haha ://

Anyone know where to get a head flushing liquid from in the UK?

cheers

• David Rogers

October 18, 2019 at 11:33 am

Go to digiprint supplies and get a head flushing kit…or two.
    Syringe, damper, pipe…

Any ink supplier will sell litre bottles of cleaning fluid.

Pop off the dampers and push fluid through until it’s a nice spray pattern on only the problem heads. Leave to sit …repeat…repeat…until it’s looking good.

Push the carriage over to the maintenance area (where you wipe them manually). Plenty of light…and absorbent material.

If like Robert says the plastic manifold is cracked…it’s a tricky job but totally within most peoples skills if you have some time and a confidence to take it to bits.

Don’t pull it through…always push through. Always use the damper (as a filter).

Head re-alignment is tricky to set up if you’ve got to change the manifold.

post490400.html#p490400

• Kevin Mahoney

October 18, 2019 at 11:54 am

If Digiprint really are as hit & miss as some would say (I’ve not been let down by them to be fair, I have heard some negatives though) try Stuart at SL print supplies or Chris at QPS (Quality Print Supplies) both Nasdar agents but will both have flush in litre bottles & cartridges. Might be worth getting a couple of refillable cartridges & use as required.
    As David says, the heads need some tlc & patience is a virtue. Soak overnight with the heads capped & waste pipes clamped off. All the nozzles look ok, I wouldn’t be blaming the head just yet, just looks like some cross head contamination maybe, I would say it’s air getting in somewhere. Good luck

• Marc Heath

October 19, 2019 at 1:43 pm
    quote DavidRogers:

Go to digiprint supplies and get a head flushing kit…or two.
    Syringe, damper, pipe…

Any ink supplier will sell litre bottles of cleaning fluid.

Pop off the dampers and push fluid through until it’s a nice spray pattern on only the problem heads. Leave to sit …repeat…repeat…until it’s looking good.

Push the carriage over to the maintenance area (where you wipe them manually). Plenty of light…and absorbent material.

If like Robert says the plastic manifold is cracked…it’s a tricky job but totally within most peoples skills if you have some time and a confidence to take it to bits.

Don’t pull it through…always push through. Always use the damper (as a filter).

Head re-alignment is tricky to set up if you’ve got to change the manifold.

post490400.html#p490400

yeah cheers. I was planning to pull but like you say push. I have to head cleaning syringe kit so it has the damper. Good point actually I used the old manifolds for the new heads. I cleaned them out first but maybe it’s an issue there too worth checking.

I’d already ordered some ink though digi against my own advice but they owed me credit from the last order they never bothered sending after 3 weeks. They then don’t send the 3 carts I ordered and only 2. So I’m onto them again saying wow you just can’t ever send a full order and they’re like ok ok we don’t have it in stock (even though I specifically checked before ordering and they just lie) so I’m like OK I need some head flushing liquid and I’ll swap out the cart for a litre bottle of the fluid. Whilst I’m at it and for the difference I’ll have a couple new cappings just incase. Low and behold they send me the despatch notification… only the cappings been sent. 5 orders in a row where they don’t send full or at all what you ordered. Lie in messages and emails that it’s going to be sent tomorrow or one time it had been sent when it hadn’t, refunds that don’t fully happen the list goes on.

• Chris Wool

October 19, 2019 at 7:32 pm

see you have changed the old manifolds to the new heads why, presume you bought water based head.
    seam to remember some tricky O seals etc when reassembling if not sealing will give your problem.

• Myriam Garrido

October 19, 2019 at 9:47 pm

Digiprint are a total nightmare. Basically ruined us due to their behaviour. Really bad experience with their inks and heads. Took months to resolve. Their ‘technical dept’ were rude and incompetent. Finally had enough and wrote a really bad online review. Almost instantly, after months of promises, we had a call from someone high up (name escapes me at the moment) saying if we remove the review they’ve get the stuff out to us and give us some compensation (bit late after almost 4 months without a printer).

To your issue though. Sounds suspiciously like a cracked manifold. Easy to do when pressing the damper onto the spike and difficult to notice. You’ll feel less resistance if it is at fault when you draw ink through the line from the cap. You normally get a new manifold already mounted to the head or you can buy them separately. Could also be a seal not seated correctly on a damper or an air leak somewhere.

Would never push or pull flush through the head. They apparently have delicate membranes inside that damage if too much pressure is used (We’ve actually done this ourselves and blown a head having used a digiprint head flushing kit !) – It was sh*t or bust anyway with one of our heads so didn’t matter too much but too much pressure can spray flush everywhere and short out other heads/components.

Would advise only buy heads from a reputable source though such as Josero etc. A lot of places, if you read the very small print, won’t offer a warranty once the head has been fitted ! Appreciate trying to do it on the cheap (been there and done all that but doesn’t pay long term financially)

• Marc Heath

October 20, 2019 at 4:08 pm
    quote Myriam Garrido:

Digiprint are a total nightmare. Basically ruined us due to their behaviour. Really bad experience with their inks and heads. Took months to resolve. Their ‘technical dept’ were rude and incompetent. Finally had enough and wrote a really bad online review. Almost instantly, after months of promises, we had a call from someone high up (name escapes me at the moment) saying if we remove the review they’ve get the stuff out to us and give us some compensation (bit late after almost 4 months without a printer).

To your issue though. Sounds suspiciously like a cracked manifold. Easy to do when pressing the damper onto the spike and difficult to notice. You’ll feel less resistance if it is at fault when you draw ink through the line from the cap. You normally get a new manifold already mounted to the head or you can buy them separately. Could also be a seal not seated correctly on a damper or an air leak somewhere.

Would never push or pull flush through the head. They apparently have delicate membranes inside that damage if too much pressure is used (We’ve actually done this ourselves and blown a head having used a digiprint head flushing kit !) – It was sh*t or bust anyway with one of our heads so didn’t matter too much but too much pressure can spray flush everywhere and short out other heads/components.

Would advise only buy heads from a reputable source though such as Josero etc. A lot of places, if you read the very small print, won’t offer a warranty once the head has been fitted ! Appreciate trying to do it on the cheap (been there and done all that but doesn’t pay long term financially)

Yeah sorry I didn’t change old manifolds onto the new head as of course it already had them. I was thinking of the brown adapter plater I’d changed over.
    The only reason I was thinking about waterfalling the head as previous poster mentioned it could be bad ink got in there.
    Thinking about it though, I couldn’t get a good nozzle check on all channels, eventually did and the next morning it went bad again so not like the symptoms match up with head being blocked. I have another set of the smaller dampers and new nuts coming for them tomorrow, with ink from digi and cappings. I’ll give it a go some more but yeah check the manifolds too.

Funnily I’d read a couple of reviews on trust pilot that said the same thing, leave a review and then they play ball. When I was getting my refund I said do I just have to leave a review on there first and then they did actually refund me partially like I say.

• Myriam Garrido

October 20, 2019 at 4:27 pm

When pressing the damper onto the manifold spike it really is super easy to fracture it and you won’t even know it.

Whereabouts are you in the country Marc ?

Digiprint used to be really good, helpful and everything delivered on time etc but has gone down hill rapidly of recent years. Don’t know why that is. Maybe too big too fast or cashflow or just plan ol’ inability to cope !

• Marc Heath

October 21, 2019 at 8:12 am
    quote Myriam Garrido:

When pressing the damper onto the manifold spike it really is super easy to fracture it and you won’t even know it.

Whereabouts are you in the country Marc ?

Digiprint used to be really good, helpful and everything delivered on time etc but has gone down hill rapidly of recent years. Don’t know why that is. Maybe too big too fast or cashflow or just plan ol’ inability to cope !

I’m in south Leicestershire, yeah after I get the new ink and try a couple more things I might need some help from outside sources.

• Unknown Member

October 21, 2019 at 8:41 am

From what I’ve read they have been in administration since earlier this year looking for a buyer this might explain why the service has gone poor.

I got an email this morning stating the below

S-One acquired the assets of Digiprint Supplies

We are thrilled to announce that Digiprint Supplies and S-One Holdings, a leading global large format media supplier, are now operating as one.

What does this mean for you?

For us, it is all about customers and we are working hard to exceed your expectations. Digiprint Supplies’ experts and multi-lingual customer service teams combine for over 20 years of technical experience in the industry. Together with S-One back office, marketing and supply chain resources and financial capabilities, we will ensure we deliver value to you, as well as 100,000 active customers around the world, through the industry’s widest product range.

What does this mean for us?

Digiprint Supplies’ entire staff is now a part of the S-One Holdings family. Our headquarters and warehouse remain in Brussels, Belgium and Miami, Fla. We plan to quickly invest in additional inventory in both locations to ensure the best delivery lead times in the industry.
    Our story continues…

Digiprint Supplies was established in 2007 by a seasoned management team with a long and solid technical background in the wide format digital printing industry. As an industry pioneer, Digiprint Supplies revolutionized the market. It was the first company in the world to offer dedicated online solutions to this market niche.
    Today, Digiprint Supplies is a world leader in parts for wide format digital printers. With partnerships with more than 100 key industry brands, Digiprint Supplies offers the most efficient solutions for your needs – backed up by the highest levels of customer care.
    This is also S-One’s story and mission. Joining forces with a company that is as passionate about small business success as we are is what takes us into the next chapter in our storybook. Stay tuned to see where our growth and innovation takes us from here.

Thank you!

We want to take this opportunity to thank you for putting your trust in Digiprint Supplies over the last 12 years and bringing us to where we are today. We come to work every day for you and this commitment is stronger than ever during this exciting time.