Activity Feed Forums Vinyl Cutter Discussions General Cutter topics Roland EJ640 printing short

• Roland EJ640 printing short

Posted by David Stevenson on June 26, 2018 at 10:34 am

Hi, just noticed that media been printed from out Roland ej640 is shorter than the art work sent. If for example I send a 2440mm long sheet I only get 2430mm! Anyone any ideas as to why? Have a load of 8×4 boards that now need 10mm trimmed from them :-(. Thanks

Joe Wigzell replied 5 years, 9 months ago 4 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • Hugh Potter

June 26, 2018 at 12:15 pm

I can only relate this to a similar experience I had early on with printing..

without thinking I was creating a page size the same as my media width, this meant that the rip was reducing the size slightly to fit it on the media, other than thinking "I’m sure this looked bigger on my proof", I never did anything about it until I printed a load of self adhesive measures, these need to be accurate, only after making the first batch that I’d printed myself did I think to check the accuracy, I was 5cm out because I’d set the page size too big!!

That’s a really really reeeally long winded way of asking what your page size is when the artwork is created!! If the rip reduces width to make it fit the media, the length will be proportionately reduced too. I always add 10mm bleed to large panels and then trim, or do the opposite the leave a small border.

• David Stevenson

June 26, 2018 at 12:50 pm

Hi Hugh, my heart is broke with our designers making the print the exact size of the board eg 2440×1220. They are both expert photographers and can merge 10 images together to make 1, yet can’t seem to add bleed to an 8×4 sheet! Width is perfect just length an issue. Feed calibration has been mentioned so is worth checking out.

• Alex Crosbie

June 26, 2018 at 5:05 pm

Plus one for feed calibration, we had the exact same scenario with our EJ a few months back, it should be checked regularly as it can drift out.

• David Stevenson

June 27, 2018 at 3:33 pm

Adjusted the feed calibration today so will be interesting to see what happens. Thanks for the advice guys 🙂

• Joe Wigzell

June 28, 2018 at 8:59 am

Feed Cal is media dependent as it relates to the thickness of the media, if not set correctly the machine would either feed too fast or too slow…meaning longer or shorter prints.
    Easiest thing to do is set all variables on your printer menu panel and then save as a preset. Then you can just load the preset each time you change a roll, nice and simple.
    Hope that helps!

• Hugh Potter

June 28, 2018 at 9:46 am
    quote David Stevenson:

Hi Hugh, my heart is broke with our designers making the print the exact size of the board eg 2440×1220. They are both expert photographers and can merge 10 images together to make 1, yet can’t seem to add bleed to an 8×4 sheet! Width is perfect just length an issue. Feed calibration has been mentioned so is worth checking out.

I hate that too!!

Is the feed callibration not done automatically upon loading the media? My HP does I’m sure.

• David Stevenson

June 28, 2018 at 1:22 pm

It should be preset for each media when you select the profile but the guy who does most of the printing here runs most things using md5 profile! I argue that there would be no need for other profiles if one was suitable for all jobs. It’s like talking to a wall lol

• Joe Wigzell

June 29, 2018 at 9:15 am

Feed cal is not always set within the profile, but you can set it yourself if you want to by editing profiles in the Media Explorer.Then you would just need to set the Feed Calibration Controls to Use Default Media Settings rather than Use Printer Settings .
    If you use presets onthe machine, then Use Printer Settings .

Attachments:

• David Stevenson

June 29, 2018 at 9:28 am

Thanks Joe. Going to spend some time when we get a chance to preset them all in.

• Joe Wigzell

July 2, 2018 at 1:45 pm

No probs!