Activity Feed Forums Vinyl Cutter Discussions Roland Cutters Roland camm-1 pnc1100 USB HELP

• Roland camm-1 pnc1100 USB HELP

Posted by Craig Nash on December 30, 2012 at 7:48 pm

Hi all

Iv decided to start using this plotter for my garment film and a backup plotter it’s been perfect never let me down but now I’m going to be using another pc for the Roland and that pc has had no reason for a parallel port so when I built it I never installed one!

I know the easy way around this is put one in but can I not just convert it in some way? I know things exist but to what quality and what else will be needed! So all in all I’m after any help or if someone else has been successful in doing this?

Craig

Please take a moment to read our Board Rules

Martin Pearson replied 11 years, 3 months ago 5 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Frank Droog

December 31, 2012 at 2:09 pm

i would get a usb to serial and connect it via the serial port.
    I would stay away from USB to parralel. Thet seem to be very iffy.

If you get a usb to serial adapter, you will then also need a null modem serial cable to connect from the adapther to the plotter.
    The plotter originaly came with one so you may allready have it.

• Craig Nash

December 31, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Hi Frank

I see so there should be a crossover with using the null modem!
    I will buy a new cable and converter to eliminate any problems as im not sure if the cables i have are crossed or not and i don’t have a null modem.

Thanks for your reply, if your familiar with these plotter then do you know if wiring up this way will the "check poll" work for remote sizing?

• Chris Wool

December 31, 2012 at 3:38 pm

this is from my fading memory
    roland will not poll through the paralell cable only serial.
    your plotter has a 25 pin serial usb converters 9 pin, the cable between the converter and the plotter needs to be the type that has pins 2-3 crossed over, handshaking needs to be hardware speed 9600.
    old rolands used to come with a book with all the commands and pin outs listed.
    depends on your driver software as to compatability with newer than XP windows
    enjoy

• Alex Pirozek

December 31, 2012 at 4:06 pm

I run the following Belkin F5U002 USB-Parallel adaptor for the Roland PC-60 and PC-600 running on Windows XP Pro without any problems, I even have the adaptor attached to 3m of USB extension cable (not repeater) and it’s never been an issue.
    Not sure if you can still get them though.

Attachments:

• Martin Pearson

December 31, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Easiest way is just to put a serial port on the computer if it doesn’t already have one, motherboard may alreay have a header even though no cable connected to it & if it doesn’t then easy enough to slot in a PCI serial port card.
    If your going for a USB serial converter make sure you get the right sort. As for the cable it should say on it what it is.