Activity Feed Forums Vinyl Cutter Discussions Roland Cutters Roland 540i colour washout help please

• Roland 540i colour washout help please

Posted by Cheryl Smith on March 12, 2014 at 9:12 am

Good morning,
    I’ve been struggling with orange on my machine.
    one panel printed okay colour tho a bit stripy…i changed the magenta and then the next panels were washed out…right across the range…ive changed the magenta for another cartridge, not worked, done 4 deep cleans, an overnight bath and still no joy. in the pictures, the darker orange is the one I’m happy with, but I’m getting the lighter one, which even has a ‘blocky’ look to it…
    If anyone can please suggest a solution id be grateful.
    many thanks
    Cheryl

Attachments:

Stafford Cox replied 10 years, 1 month ago 5 Members · 27 Replies
  • 27 Replies
  • Phill Fenton

March 12, 2014 at 10:01 am

Don’t think it’s the magenta ink not getting through as it’s showing on the test print OK. I presume you’ve done another test print to prove that this is still the case even after printing a washed out orange?

Have you tried a different profile?

• Cheryl Smith

March 12, 2014 at 10:09 am

ill try those Phil…thankyou

• Cheryl Smith

March 12, 2014 at 10:32 am

tried anew file but thats washed out and the ink is getting through but just at id say
    50% rate. profiles make no difference…

• Phill Fenton

March 12, 2014 at 10:58 am

Post a sample file of the colour you are printing and I’ll try it on my machine to see if it’s the machine or the file that’s at fault

• Kevin Flowers

March 12, 2014 at 11:36 am

I would be inclined to change the dampers and then look at profiles because even the strong orange is not running a good print. You could try slowing the head speed right down and see what result you get if your colours come back it can be a good indication the dampers want changing.

Kev

• Cheryl Smith

March 12, 2014 at 11:50 am

its not the file Phil…ive tried all sorts and they are all pixilly..is that even a word!, whats a damper…and is that something ill have to get an engineer in for?

• Phill Fenton

March 12, 2014 at 11:56 am

If this is your test print:-

Then the magenta is printing fine – no problem. I would have expected big gaps in the magenta if there was a problem with ink getting through (damper related).

Try another machine test print and let us see what it looks like?

• Cheryl Smith

March 12, 2014 at 12:10 pm

would you pm email addy Phil so I can send the file?

• Cheryl Smith

March 12, 2014 at 12:28 pm

latest pics
    the small samples are what the colour should be the larger is view of wash out…the test print is the latest…ill try the slow thing speed now. The cmyk print to the left of it are 3 arrows, this is where the machine is doing a self clean…?

Attachments:

• Cheryl Smith

March 12, 2014 at 12:37 pm

I’m going to try exporting fies to eps from illustrator as I’ve been exporting from corel…it doesn’t explain why the first one was good though…slow print was just as washed out.

• Cheryl Smith

March 12, 2014 at 1:00 pm

that made no difference either…time for an engineer me thinks

• Cheryl Smith

March 12, 2014 at 1:16 pm

if anyone wants anything orange in the future…shoot me if it needs printing! 😮

• Jamie Wood

March 12, 2014 at 2:18 pm

Is it possible that one file was CMYK, and the other RGB? This may account for it….

Can you check that the orange has the same make-up in each file.

• Cheryl Smith

March 12, 2014 at 3:36 pm

Thanks Jaimie…checked and retried…not that…
    I’ve got an engineer coming so hope we can sort it in no time for not much moneh…

• Cheryl Smith

March 13, 2014 at 6:23 am

Update…engineer has the orange printing yay! but it will only print that colour in service mode…otherwise it washes out he has some calls to make today, but hopes to get to the bottom of it.

• Stafford Cox

March 13, 2014 at 9:52 am

Have you tried changing profiles Cheryl? It looks to me as though there is too much yellow against the magenta….??

Stafford

• Cheryl Smith

March 13, 2014 at 10:40 am

yup tried all that…works okay in service mode, not in standard..

• Cheryl Smith

March 13, 2014 at 10:44 am

the engineer did a lot of calibration which helped, but it refuses to go right without service mode.

• Stafford Cox

March 13, 2014 at 10:59 am

Wow, that’s really strange!!

Have you tried doing a factory reset on the printer? In theory, there are no special menus in service mode that should change the colour or density of output (there’s certainly not a ‘print reds in orange’ option).

Failing that, maybe a firmware update/reload?

• Cheryl Smith

March 13, 2014 at 4:28 pm

I think it could be a third party ink issue. Ink is not at fault but maybe a dodgy set of chips…we are going to replace them tomorrow and should know from that.

• Stafford Cox

March 13, 2014 at 4:51 pm

I’ve had some a 3rd party M cartridge filled with lm ink before (or maybe C with lc), but that wouldn’t explain why it works OK in service mode….

• Cheryl Smith

March 13, 2014 at 5:22 pm

I was rather counting that it would be as simple as the chips Stafford…ooo.but..that was your 666th post …hope its not an omen of something more sinister 👿

• Stafford Cox

March 13, 2014 at 5:32 pm
    quote Cheryl Smith:

…ooo.but..that was your 666th post …

Ooh, quick, post again!!

Phew. :lol1:

• Cheryl Smith

March 17, 2014 at 8:19 am

I was sent some genuine Roland chips to replace the third party ones, now everything runs smoothly

• Stafford Cox

March 17, 2014 at 9:20 pm

I was talking to Julian about this today. What a weird fault!! Good job you had one of the top guys on the job. Glad it’s all working now.

• Cheryl Smith

March 18, 2014 at 7:49 am
    quote Stafford Cox:

I was talking to Julian about this today. What a weird fault!! Good job you had one of the top guys on the job. Glad it’s all working now.

Me too.
    The third party ink supplier is right on it, Ive sent everything available back to them and they are going to try to recreate what happened to mine on theirs, they will get back with any results. Apparently this hasn’t happened before….theres always a first time i suppose…..

• Stafford Cox

March 18, 2014 at 9:09 am

It’s certainly not one I’ve seen before, but every day’s a school day….