• printing 1440dpi

Posted by M Brown on July 16, 2010 at 9:04 am

Hi All,

Just had a photographer asking me what dpi I print my canvas prints at. I said 720dpi but my machine is meant to be able to print 1440dpi, only thing is I dont have anything in my profiles that support 1440dpi.

I use Wasatch 6.3

Does anyone print at 1440dpi on canvas with their Roland/Uniform machines.

I think if I could get my machine up to 1440dpi I could get a lot more work from this photographer.

From Mark

Matt Boyd replied 13 years, 7 months ago 12 Members · 18 Replies
  • 18 Replies
  • David Rowland

July 16, 2010 at 9:32 am

Print small section at 1440dpi and then 720dpi and let him choose

Speaking about our JV3 which support both modes, the 1440dpi is half speed of 720dpi, so u barely see it move while it is printing.

• Steve McAdie

July 16, 2010 at 9:36 am

Hi Mark,
    In wasatch click on the print setup (the cog wheels at the top) on the new window that opens select the imaging configuration you want and click on edit this opens another window click on properties, it opens another window and at the top is a drop down menu for print mode with the different dpi settings.

Steve

• Stephen Morriss

July 16, 2010 at 2:08 pm

I use Wasatch as well, just as Steve said.

Not sure you’ll see much difference in final quality but it’s miles slower.

Steve

• David Rogers

July 16, 2010 at 8:49 pm

You’ll never see the difference (amounts to 64pass!!!)

also – when I’ve tried it the colour profile is darker than I’d like even matching the rest of the settings.

Dave

Also Wasatch on a Cadet.

• Peter Normington

July 16, 2010 at 9:38 pm

1440 usually puts to much ink down in most profiles, and as Dave points out, things turn out darker because of this,
    wassach and signlab will both print at 1440, but having tried in both with the few available profiles, (there is a reason that the 1440 profiles are not common)
    I did not have acceptable results, just tell your photographer they are printed at 2880dpi and he will be even happier, but will not see the difference, especially on canvas.

😀

Peter

• Martin Oxenham

July 16, 2010 at 11:08 pm

Providing your image is good quality in the first place you would’nt see any difference on canvas because of the rough texture.

• Fred McLean

July 17, 2010 at 8:16 am

On our rocky 1 1440 puts way too much ink down and looks a mess and as mentioned takes forever to print.I’ve never gave a customer a 1440 print!!

• Chris Wool

July 17, 2010 at 8:58 am

photographers are a funny bunch when it comes to quality.
    one of the main reasons for asking for 1400 dpi will be to bring out more tonal changes than can’t be achieved with 720 this is more noticeable with a 4 colour machine than 6 colour.
    ask why do they make 2880 dpi 8 colour machines just for this purpose.

you will have to find a true 1400 dpi profile not just alter the the 720 to 1400 it don’t work like that.
    the other problem with some canvas and other materials is dot gain. its no good printing at that res if the material can’t hold the ink where its put.

at the end of the day its down to the image and the look that the photographer is after it will be some you win some you lose.
    although you can do some fine work on the base machines you will be always struggling, with this type of work.

this type of customer can be very hard work for little money or a top customer up to you to put the effort in.

enjoy

chris

• Martin Oxenham

July 17, 2010 at 9:45 am

Another thing to bear in mind is the machines we all use are dedicated sign making machines with outdoor inks, and whilst fully capable of producing good results they will never match the quality of machines designed for glicee print work for studios.

• Jason Xuereb

July 18, 2010 at 7:21 am

I’ve custom built some 1440x720dpi profiles for custom jobs that require it.

At this resolution you need to drop down your ink limits.

That’s why the others have said too much ink is being put down. Its the same ink limit settings for 720dpi but just printing at 1440dpi. You’ll also notice banner profiles etc have higher ink limits so they can put down more ink in each pass.

• George Elsmore

July 19, 2010 at 11:02 am

how do you change the ink limits in a pre set profile? I have been into media explorer but cannot change the ink limits as they are greyed out??

G 😕

• Jason Xuereb

July 19, 2010 at 11:04 am
    quote George Elsmore:

how do you change the ink limits in a pre set profile? I have been into media explorer but cannot change the ink limits as they are greyed out??

G 😕

Why do you want to change ink limits? You would need to recreate the ICC profile.

But if you really want to change the ink limits create a copy of the profile and then edit that.

• George Elsmore

July 19, 2010 at 11:16 am

Thanks Jason

• John Singh

July 19, 2010 at 9:37 pm
    quote Martin Oxenham:

Another thing to bear in mind is the machines we all use are dedicated sign making machines with outdoor inks, and whilst fully capable of producing good results they will never match the quality of machines designed for glicee print work for studios.

Something we must keep reminding ourselves

• Stephen Morriss

September 3, 2010 at 12:29 pm
    quote Chris Wool:

ask why do they make 2880 dpi 8 colour machines just for this purpose.

My Cannon Photo printer is 4 colour with an extra black and I can’t tell the difference from photo lab prints, does a 5×3 in a few seconds and an A4 in about 30 seconds.

Steve

• Matt Boyd

September 3, 2010 at 5:00 pm

we do several canvas prints a week and we print at 720 dpi uni directional and they come out great. you won’t see a vast difference between 720 and 1440 on canvas

• David Rowland

September 3, 2010 at 5:04 pm

i agree with both here… 720 is more then enough, even 540dpi but a profile needs to be tuned just right

some hi-def canvases do look wonderful on different machine with more colours like "light black"

Profiling is the secret.

• Matt Boyd

September 3, 2010 at 5:05 pm

dave rowland has hit the nail squarely on the head…..make sure your profile is the correct one!