Activity Feed Forums Sign Making Discussions Job Pricing Pricing Help – Mercedes vito 113cdi long 62 plate

• Pricing Help – Mercedes vito 113cdi long 62 plate

Posted by Martin Lemiesz on April 25, 2017 at 2:55 pm

We have an inquiry about wrapping in full-colour print – the entire vehicle (minus the roof) my initial estimate is 2.5 – 3.0k what would you charge, please?

Martin Lemiesz replied 6 years, 11 months ago 5 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • Steff Davison

April 25, 2017 at 5:21 pm

Martin, you may find you get a better response in the members section, as the information shared here will be searchable with google.

I cant give you a price, its not the type of work that I do. However, I am a firm believer in knowing your market. Every sign maker here works under different conditions and as such their prices will differ.

Some sign makers may be able to produce and fit the job in half the time it takes you, its not a level playing field.

Its one reason why I don’t like the "work it all out for me" software. The software doesn’t know your market, it doesn’t know your customer. Have confidence in your pricing method, what you need is what you need. If you dont get the job then you might be too expensive, there again you might not be. But knowing what your market will stand will give you much more information.

Once you know your market then you can work backwards and find out where you are, and more importantly, where you need to be.

Good luck

• Robert Lambie

April 25, 2017 at 7:44 pm

Steff is correct regarding forum this is posted in, I have now moved this post to the Pricing forum which is hidden and can only be seen by UKSG members.

• Robert Lambie

April 25, 2017 at 7:59 pm

There is a lot to take into account when pricing a wrap.

Some things you have missed in your initial post…
    are the bumpers colour coded or black plastic?
    Are the wing mirrors same?
    Are there windows on the sides or rear?
    bumpers alone take up a good 10ft of media alone and add substantial installation time to your install.

Are you printing and laminating in-house?
    What wrapping film do you plan using?
    Have you ever wrapped a vehicle like this?
    Will you be out sourcing your wrap installation?
    if so, how much does the installer want and does your installer have any accreditation’s?
    Will the door handles, reg plates, wing mirrors be left on or removed? if yes, who is removing them?

you should allow a minimum of 2 full days installation time for this van.
    but prepping and install etc, 3 days should be allowed. No matter if you can do it faster.

have you worked out how many "linear" metres are required to cover this job?
    if not, when working it out, suss how you will best tile the panels and where?
    Tiling to hide joins etc can also add to the volume of linear metres, so this should be pointed out to the customer.
    i.e. one way costs this, but if join isnt hidden theres not as much vinyl. etc

this is just some things you should be asking yourself before considering giving a price for a wrap.

DO NOT go with what the local guys are doing it for, nor what you might see on the net.
    Wrap pricing is completely wrecked within the industry as a result of those that have no clue in whats really involved, coupled by those that do installations. but charge a daily rate of a couple of hundred pounds plus media. Then you have your beer money clowns…

• Phill Fenton

April 25, 2017 at 9:51 pm

I agree with Rob. Charge what you need to charge and disregard the opposition as many are charging unrealistic prices that do not allow for a profitable and sustainable business. If you get the job great.. if you don’t then don’t worry, your opposition will be so busy making a loss they won’t have time to deal with more profitable work..

• Steff Davison

April 27, 2017 at 7:22 am
    quote Phill Fenton:

I agree with Rob. Charge what you need to charge and disregard the opposition as many are charging unrealistic prices that do not allow for a profitable and sustainable business. If you get the job great.. if you don’t then don’t worry, your opposition will be so busy making a loss they won’t have time to deal with more profitable work..

From the OP’s previous posts on pricing he doesnt know what a fair market price is. Well to find out what a fair market price is in your area research your market.
    Know your competition, Im not saying you need to price match them, but not all businesses who have a lower selling price than you are working at a loss or are beer money cowboys.

Those "low ballers" want to take all your business, its how their business model works. Not all of them will eventually go away.

• Phill Fenton

April 27, 2017 at 7:56 am
    quote Steff Davison:

Know your competition, Im not saying you need to price match them, but not all businesses who have a lower selling price than you are working at a loss or are beer money cowboys.

Those “low ballers” want to take all your business, its how their business model works. Not all of them will eventually go away.

That’s fair comment, and I agree with you. But the key point here is not to be frightened into underpricing merely to match your opposition who may have got it wrong. I never agree to price match to make a sale.

• Martin Lemiesz

May 2, 2017 at 7:50 pm
    quote Steff Davison:

Martin, you may find you get a better response in the members section, as the information shared here will be searchable with google.

I cant give you a price, its not the type of work that I do. However, I am a firm believer in knowing your market. Every sign maker here works under different conditions and as such their prices will differ.

Some sign makers may be able to produce and fit the job in half the time it takes you, its not a level playing field.

Its one reason why I don’t like the “work it all out for me” software. The software doesn’t know your market, it doesn’t know your customer. Have confidence in your pricing method, what you need is what you need. If you dont get the job then you might be too expensive, there again you might not be. But knowing what your market will stand will give you much more information.

Once you know your market then you can work backwards and find out where you are, and more importantly, where you need to be.

Good luck

Steef – as per usual I have to agree with all of it…
    We don’t do much wrapping hence the question for ball park figure…

• Martin Lemiesz

May 2, 2017 at 8:00 pm
    quote Robert Lambie:

There is a lot to take into account when pricing a wrap.

Some things you have missed in your initial post…
    are the bumpers colour coded or black plastic? Black not being wrapped
    Are the wing mirrors same?Black not being wrapped
    Are there windows on the sides or rear? Panel Van No Windows other Than Cab
    bumpers alone take up a good 10ft of media alone and add substantial installation time to your install.

Are you printing and laminating in-house? Yes
    What wrapping film do you plan using? Amari Bundle 25m
    Have you ever wrapped a vehicle like this? Yes
    Will you be out sourcing your wrap installation? No
    if so, how much does the installer want and does your installer have any accreditation’s? NA
    Will the door handles, reg plates, wing mirrors be left on or removed? if yes, who is removing them?

you should allow a minimum of 2 full days installation time for this van. 3 days allowed for: day one wash/clean/strip, day two wrap, day 3 checks, re-assemble, seal
    but prepping and install etc, 3 days should be allowed. No matter if you can do it faster.

have you worked out how many “linear” metres are required to cover this job? up to 25m at 1370mm
    if not, when working it out, suss how you will best tile the panels and where? Done
    Tiling to hide joins etc can also add to the volume of linear metres, so this should be pointed out to the customer.
    i.e. one way costs this, but if join isnt hidden theres not as much vinyl. etc

this is just some things you should be asking yourself before considering giving a price for a wrap.

DO NOT go with what the local guys are doing it for, nor what you might see on the net.
    Wrap pricing is completely wrecked within the industry as a result of those that have no clue in whats really involved, coupled by those that do installations. but charge a daily rate of a couple of hundred pounds plus media. Then you have your beer money clowns…

I have a feeling I’m bit low on my pricing especially when it comes to labor, just wondered how off from typical market price I am – as we don’t do much wrapping it’s difficult for me…

Attachments:

• David Hammond

May 3, 2017 at 7:58 am

I don’t do full wraps, locally there’s companies doing it day in, day out, who can do it quicker, and cheaper than we can, we can make more profit sticking to partial wraps and commercial work.

Looking at your figures, £1734 for 35 Sq/M of print, is £49.00 Sq/M, which sounds cheap to me, we’d probably be charging that for a laminated polymeric, not a cast vinyl.

Suppose you bugger it up laminating (it does happen!) you could see yourself buying another kit and reprinting a panel.

£20 per hour… I’d guess you’re really underselling yourself. I don’t know any skilled trades person working for £20 an hour.

For smaller jobs we price per hour, but then go onto 1/2 & full day rates. Also 48 hours, split over 3 days, 16 hour days for £320 :shake: If we’re working out of hours, there’s a premium, usually to deter the customer & make it worth our while doing it.

• Martin Lemiesz

May 3, 2017 at 8:51 am
    quote David Hammond:

I don’t do full wraps, locally there’s companies doing it day in, day out, who can do it quicker, and cheaper than we can, we can make more profit sticking to partial wraps and commercial work.

Looking at your figures, £1734 for 35 Sq/M of print, is £49.00 Sq/M, which sounds cheap to me, we’d probably be charging that for a laminated polymeric, not a cast vinyl.

Suppose you bugger it up laminating (it does happen!) you could see yourself buying another kit and reprinting a panel.

£20 per hour… I’d guess you’re really underselling yourself. I don’t know any skilled trades person working for £20 an hour.

For smaller jobs we price per hour, but then go onto 1/2 & full day rates. Also 48 hours, split over 3 days, 16 hour days for £320 :shake: If we’re working out of hours, there’s a premium, usually to deter the customer & make it worth our while doing it.

David – thank you – I though this is the case…we have local wrappers which can do better and quicker job than us but this job is offered to one of the clients which keeps on coming back – we would rather do it ourselves than send him elsewhere…then again we don’t wan’t to be looking like we are desperate hence the whole ‘price inquiry’ …