Activity Feed Forums Vinyl Cutter Discussions PCUT Vinyl Cutters PCUT CT1200 – Will not Cut

• PCUT CT1200 – Will not Cut

Posted by LeeMacLaughlan on March 3, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Just got given a second hand Creation Pcut CT1200 from a friend as i look to expand into vinyl.

It came with ArtCut 2005 which i have intstalled and setup using all instructions i got with it and from this forum.

I have worked through each tutorial I find on this forum and yet I still cannot get ArtCut to send the jobs to the cutter.

Any thoughts ?

Cutter is USB model.

Martin Manley replied 7 years, 4 months ago 8 Members · 18 Replies
  • 18 Replies
  • Martin Pearson

March 3, 2011 at 2:13 pm

Good idea to introduce yourself in the hello forum, you will get more replies that way.

Was it working when your friend gave it to you and did he give you the leads as well as the plotter and software.

• LeeMacLaughlan

March 3, 2011 at 2:16 pm

think i will do that now then.

I supplied my own USB cable A to B style.

• Martin Pearson

March 3, 2011 at 2:22 pm

The cable may be your problem then, how old is the plotter as the older machines need a serial to USB converter. Newer machines I believe this is built into the plotter itself.

If it’s an older machine then you need an FTDI chipset in the converter not the progressive chipset that comes in most of the cheaper converters.

• LeeMacLaughlan

March 3, 2011 at 2:25 pm

I am not 100% sure on the age of it as it was second hand before it was given to my friend, It seems to have a date of 2006 ticked on the back of the machine alongside which model it is.

Where would I source these ?

• David-Foster-

March 3, 2011 at 5:36 pm

As it has a USB port on the back I would expect it to already have the converter inside. I think your are looking for virtual com ports on your PC. I think it maybe COM3. It is not a USB device, it just connects that way.

• LeeMacLaughlan

March 4, 2011 at 11:22 am
    quote David-Foster-:

As it has a USB port on the back I would expect it to already have the converter inside. I think your are looking for virtual com ports on your PC. I think it maybe COM3. It is not a USB device, it just connects that way.

When first setup it was using COM5 as its default and I have managed to change this to COM2 as most of the tutorials suggest.

I have told ArtCut to use COM2 which it does and says data has been sent. It just never arrives at the cutter.

About to buy a new cable to try that.

• LeeMacLaughlan

March 4, 2011 at 11:38 am

Tried a new USB cable and instantly it reinstalled all drivers for the cutter.

Unfortunately that did not help and I am in the same boat.

• Andrew Martin

March 4, 2011 at 12:57 pm

If your PC has more than one usb port try that. i have a usb pen drive that will work only on two of the usb ports out of the four i have on my PC

• LeeMacLaughlan

March 4, 2011 at 1:32 pm

I have tried a laptop on Windows XP as well as the main PC on Windows 7 so I dont think it is a usb issue

• David-Foster-

March 4, 2011 at 1:42 pm

What software are you trying to cut with?

• Martin Pearson

March 4, 2011 at 1:52 pm

He said artcut in one of the posts David.

I take it you have visited the P-cut website and downloaded the latest drivers for it.

Does it do the test cut alright, don’t know about p-cuts but most plotters will do a test cut without being connected to a computer.

Once the drivers had been installed with the new USB cable what com port were you trying to use??

• LeeMacLaughlan

March 4, 2011 at 2:26 pm

Using ArtCut 2005 but also have tried SignGo Light with no success.

Double pressing the pause button on the machine prints off a test rectangle with no problems what so ever.

Got the latest drivers from the Pcut site and using COM2 also tried COM1.

The friend who had it is no use as he used it once about 3 years ago with Gerber Composer

• Warren Prydderch

March 4, 2011 at 2:58 pm

Things to try.

Check Baud rate is set to "9600" on machine and in software.

In software check that the handshake is set to "none".

Go to device manager and check ports are reading the same as in software.

• Frank Droog

March 4, 2011 at 5:35 pm

Is the sound ON, on your computer?
    Control Panel/Accesability options/General/ Make a sound when turning a feature On/Off

As you turn the cutter On and Off, you should hear 2 distintive sounds as the USB connects and disconnects.

Its easier than seeing if ports appear and dissapear from Device Manager.

• LeeMacLaughlan

March 4, 2011 at 6:05 pm

Have just managed to get it to work on the laptop. Not 100% sure how I done it but I will now attempt to replicate it on the pc.

Thanks to all who gave me help and I look forward to spending time learning on this forum.

• Andy Taylor

June 16, 2011 at 12:13 am
    quote LeeMacLaughlan:

I have tried a laptop on Windows XP as well as the main PC on Windows 7 so I dont think it is a usb issue

Have you got this sorted mate??

• LeeMacLaughlan

June 18, 2011 at 8:34 am

Have got it all working now. Thanks

• Martin Manley

December 18, 2016 at 11:30 am

My Pcut is pretty old and only gets used as a letterbasher when we’ve got loads of multiple lettering to do. Yesterday it was working away fine, then i turned it off while I set up the next batch of lettering to be cut, turned it back on again and it not seeing the computer anymore. I’ve tried everything above and it still won’t start cutting. The only thing i don’t know how to do is the "handshake" setting – where will i find that please?

Cheers

Martin