Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions HP Printers One side of HP 26500 Printhead stopped completely. Advice please?

• One side of HP 26500 Printhead stopped completely. Advice please?

Posted by Myles Brewer on September 29, 2017 at 8:40 am

Hi all,
    One of my magenta/light magenta printheads on 26500 has suddenly stopped printing on the light side & error code 98.03 (0 nozzles firing) comes up on screen. Tried a quick head clean cycle but as suspected it did nothing.
    Head has only fired 397ml & is in warranty still. Is there anything else I can try to see if it will work again without voiding the warranty?

I’m also wondering if it’s coincidence or not that the latest version of Flexi 12 seems to have omitted printing the two light inks from the colour band option. Someone suggested using this option so that all printheads fire whenever you print even if not required in the particular graphic & thus keeping heads working. could this omission have lead to the failure of this head??

Finally is there any way to easily tell if ink is getting to the head? Could it be an ink & not head issue?

Myles Brewer replied 6 years, 6 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Kevin Busby

September 29, 2017 at 10:30 am

If Flexi has not been using the ink for a while then its a very lightly reason for it to be blocked, I always used more of the M / LM heads as they were first in line for a head strike and was always having them replaced under warranty.

From memory on the 26500 the ink lines are clear so you can tell if ink is in the system or not but the other way I found to blow a head was to run out of ink that wiped it out straight away and the remaining ink is only an estimate not always exact.

I would just make a claim and get a new one on route asap.

• Robert Lambie

October 1, 2017 at 11:55 pm

When it comes to HP print heads, I always keep a complete set of heads spare.
    Less than £100 each and fitted in minutes. its always better to keep a set spare if and when required. It makes sure your production keeps going and you can try recovering the head at a later stage when your not under pressure. I know this does not fix your problem but something you should consider doing. I don’t mean shell out in one go, but maybe once a month, make a point of buying a spare head and build up your stock.

• Myles Brewer

October 2, 2017 at 10:20 am

Thanks Kevin/Rob,
    I’m now waiting on a response back from Flexi on the print band issue so hopefully that may get sorted in the near future with software updates.
    I actually ordered extra printheads on Friday due to arrive this morning & wholeheartedly agree with you Rob. It was actually stupid not having spares, considering a couple of the installed heads are approaching the end of their lives now. It just threw me that a nearly new one should go on me unexpectedly, but I guess it happens & better to be prepared for it like you say. :blushing:
    Kevin, I think my 26500 must be the other way round or something as the magenta heads are furthest from head strikes & also any ink lines I can glimpse inside seem to be black so I had no idea if they were charged or not. Anyway, I decided over the weekend to remove the offending head & give it a gentle clean by running it over a bit of tissue dampened with isopropanol & almost immediately I could see the ink coming from the head, so replaced it & bingo we appear to be back in business!! :thumbsup:
    I guess I should keep an eye on that one now & hope for a rapid response from Flexi.