Activity Feed Forums Vinyl Cutter Discussions General Cutter topics Mimaki CGSRIII or Graphtec FC8600 Series

• Mimaki CGSRIII or Graphtec FC8600 Series

Posted by Paul Hughes on December 9, 2019 at 12:32 pm

To overcome issues with my secondhand Mimaki CG 130 FX, I’m considering purchasing a brand new cutter but I’m unsure between a new wide format Mimaki or Graphtec. Opinions most welcome on which is your preference. Perhaps Thanks Paul

Simon Worrall replied 4 years, 4 months ago 7 Members · 14 Replies
  • 14 Replies
  • David Gwyndaf Povah

December 9, 2019 at 12:38 pm

i would reccommend a graphtec but i usually say that being being based in wrexham where they are based, i have used most makes and models of plotters eg mimaki , graphtec, summa etc and always find the graphtec most user friendly

hope this helps

david

• David Hammond

December 9, 2019 at 1:37 pm

We’ve always had Graphtec, you can’t go wrong with them.

What it may boil down to is:

Are you printing & cutting?
    What software are you using?

Graphtec provides a reasonably good plugin for Illustrator, which allows both of these to be done without much issue, if you’re using other software check to see if either machine is compatible.

• Paul Hughes

December 9, 2019 at 1:55 pm

Thanks, I have a HP 330 Latex printer so seperate printing and cutting is my way forward. I use Flexi that has its own RIP (Producution Manager).

• David Hammond

December 9, 2019 at 1:57 pm

I’ve no idea about flexi, never used it.

I know you can add registration marks in Illustrator and print it through most RIP software, then cut the print job using the illustrator plugin.

• Iain Pearson

December 9, 2019 at 7:20 pm

Hi Paul, I have the 315 with Flexi.
    Although I already had a graphtec, I opted for the packaged Summa cutter. Can’t find anything wrong with it. Seem less interface with Flexi and excellent for print/cut – hope it helps

• Paul Hughes

December 9, 2019 at 8:59 pm

David Hammond. I’ve just tried installing Fine Cut 8 but received message "You can NOT install FineCut8 on Illustrator CC 2019". I’m hitting barriers every which way here.

• Iain Pearson

December 9, 2019 at 10:25 pm

Where are you based Paul ?

• Bernard Gallagher

December 9, 2019 at 11:37 pm

Don’t touch the Mimaki plotters. Printers are brilliant the CGSR is scrap. Summa or Roland bullet proof [emoji106]

• David Hammond

December 10, 2019 at 5:02 am

The plugin for graphtec in illustrator is cutting master 3 or 4.

Not used Finecut.

• Jamie Wood

December 10, 2019 at 10:06 am
    quote PaulHughes:

David Hammond. I’ve just tried installing Fine Cut 8 but received message “You can NOT install FineCut8 on Illustrator CC 2019”. I’m hitting barriers every which way here.

You could try downloading an earlier version of Illustrator if you have a subscription to CC, and install FineCut on that.
    Mimaki can take a while to get up to speed with their software updates. We’ve had Mimaki CG-FX plotters for over 13 years, and they are very accurate and reliable, so hopefully you can get it sorted.

• Paul Hughes

December 11, 2019 at 10:33 am
    quote Iain Pearson:

North Wales/Chester

• Iain Pearson

December 11, 2019 at 4:00 pm
    quote PaulHughes:

quote Iain Pearson:

North Wales/Chester

Ah thats a shame, if you had been closer id have come over to see if i could help, or you could have come here to see our equipment/software running. Did you make a decision yet or is it still open to suggestion ?

• Paul Hughes

December 11, 2019 at 11:04 pm

Where are you Iain?

• Simon Worrall

December 12, 2019 at 9:11 am

I have the Graphtec FC8600. Its a solid machine, and it doesnt seem to have any flaws or problems.
    My only negative comment on it is that the later illustrator "cutting-master" plug-ins are rubbish.
    So dreadful in fact that I back-graded to the earlier cutting master 2, which is very good, and apart from the less flash graphic interface I cant really see why they upgraded it.
    I think they are on version 4 now.

As for the Mimaki I can’t comment, having had no experience of them.
    I have had 2 roland plotters in the past, both of which have been brilliant.

I went for the FC because it also does perforation cutting as well as pouncing.