Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Roland Printers Looking at a new printer, thoughts on the EJ-640?

• Looking at a new printer, thoughts on the EJ-640?

Posted by Wayne Fothergill on January 15, 2019 at 6:03 pm

After a few opinions on a new printer and hopefully some first hand advice.

We’re currently still running an XC-540 Soljet Pro III which has been an absolute workhorse and continues to be, it’s performed great over the years and churns out a decent volume almost daily.

I’m looking to add a second, newer printer to take over as the main printer and relegating the old XC-540 to secondary but I’m not entirely sure which model to go for. I’ve but I’ve set my sights on the EJ-640 at the moment.

Now I haven’t really looked at anything beyond Roland’s offerings, mainly because in all the years I’ve been doing this I’ve not really used anything else and not had any problems with reliability. We used to have another print company next door to our unit who had a bunch of Mimaki machines always in a constant state of repair. This may have been due to the user maintenance, or lack thereof, on those machines but it didn’t exactly fill me with confidence.

So as mentioned above, I’m looking at the EJ-640, seems to fit the bill of another high volume workhorse machine but I’d like some opinions from someone who’s used one daily for a while, or any other suggestions. I almost bought a TrueVIS VG-640 last year, but ended up deciding against it.

So yeah, speed, print quality, ink quality (I notice the EJ has its own proprietary inks), any feedback at all would be much appreciated.

I don’t really need the cutting ability as we have a separate Summa plotter we do all our cutting on, so that wouldn’t change regardless of which new printer purchased.

Alex Crosbie replied 5 years, 3 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Chris Wilson

January 15, 2019 at 6:45 pm

Keep seeing everyone mentioning the epson printers on here. Red and white ink etc..
    we have a Roland to but would be my first port of call. I think they are cheaper or around the same as the tru-vis. Worth a look anyway.

• Alex Crosbie

January 15, 2019 at 7:14 pm

Hi Wayne

I have an EJ that I’ve had for 18 months, it’s not skipped a beat.

What kind of work do you do mostly? And what kind of volumes are you looking to get through on what media?

Regards

Alex