Activity Feed Forums Vinyl Cutter Discussions PCUT Vinyl Cutters Letters/logos on Pcut 630

• Letters/logos on Pcut 630

Posted by Tim Tomblin on August 26, 2010 at 11:29 pm

Hi,

Going to buy the vinyl cutter within a week or so so im just wondering the minimum thickness of lettering you can cut with the Pcut 630, even if it means slowing the cutter right down to slowest setting and 90 degree blade, the vinyl cutter we used at my last job was very good when it came to 10mm cap height lettering and thin lines (just a pain to weed due to lifting)

Just wondering as i need to find out due to me doing more small stuff than big lettering to start with as i have a few jobs lined up for friends.

Thanks
    Tim

Tim Tomblin replied 13 years, 8 months ago 3 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Robert Lambie

August 26, 2010 at 11:47 pm

can they not be printed stickers/labels? seems a bit of a nightmare if in multiples… ide think minimal profit for what you will have to do.

as for the pcut… not a reliable machine and ide say not a very accurate one for the money is ee them going at brand new. but i say that based on what i read day to day… ive never used one. ide imagine your machine had a tangental mode cutting feature if it was cutting text this small allot. so ide check if your pcut has that cutting function/mode to begin with.

i am sure these cutters will serve a purpose and pay for themselves time over… but my honest advice would be to buy from a reputable supplier.
    Graphtec, Roland, Summa… etc etc

• Tim Tomblin

August 27, 2010 at 12:17 am

ok thanks robert, what sort of machine would you say would be a good buy and what software, im using it for small bits and bobs for friends then a few other people want nice sized lettering for the side of their vans.

When i said about small 10mm lettering i wont be doing them that size but was getting an idea of what size could be done compared to what was achieved in my last job, i dont want to spend a fortune on a cutter just incase i get minimal amount of business but im open to suggestions on what you think is a good idea, i can always upgrade afterwards if business blooms 😀

Thanks
    Tim

• Graham . Shand

August 27, 2010 at 6:55 am
    quote Tim Tomblin:

ok thanks Robert, what sort of machine would you say would be a good buy and what software, I’m using it for small bits and bobs for friends then a few other people want nice sized lettering for the side of their vans.

When i said about small 10mm lettering i wont be doing them that size but was getting an idea of what size could be done compared to what was achieved in my last job, i don’t want to spend a fortune on a cutter just in case i get minimal amount of business but I’m open to suggestions on what you think is a good idea, i can always upgrade afterwards if business blooms 😀

Thanks
    Tim

I can understand that buying a P Cut seems tempting because of the initial cost , but I agree with Rob as the P Cut uses a step motor, which is not accurate in multiplies, and small letters are very difficult to cut even with the machine speed set to the slowest speed setting regardless of the blade angle and even harder to weed. A Roland gx24 on the other hand uses a servo motor which is very accurate and you can do very small letters and it does not wander, nor does it score the vinyl moving for one point to another start points (something the Pcut seems to do a lot) A decent Gx24 Roland can be purchased now for about eight hundred pounds. just my two pence worth, regards Graham Shand

• Tim Tomblin

August 27, 2010 at 10:14 am

sounds good to me, i think hat price i can afford, what software would be used on that machine?

Thanks alot
    Really helps
    Tim

• Graham . Shand

August 27, 2010 at 12:02 pm
    quote Tim Tomblin:

sounds good to me, i think hat price i can afford, what software would be used on that machine?

Thanks alot
    Really helps
    Tim

The roland comes with its own software, cut studio, which is great to get you started, using a feature called "get from machine" determines size of vinyl , you can also use a small piece of vinyl, it detects sizes and then gives you this representation on screen, very handy.
    Regards
    Graham Shand

• Tim Tomblin

August 28, 2010 at 10:38 am

ok brilliant, i will look into that, there is a few on ebay at the moment

Thanks
    Tim