Activity Feed Forums Vinyl Cutter Discussions Mimaki Cutters JV3-130 Print / Head Problem

• JV3-130 Print / Head Problem

Posted by James Culpin on February 3, 2010 at 2:12 pm

I have a JV3-130 and i was printing red this morning which suddenly became orange. I did a test print (Test Draw) and the Magenta was only printing the second half.
    Have changed cartridges, cleaned, done head wash etc etc.
    Tried all the normal things.
    Anyone know a magic solution?

James Culpin replied 14 years, 1 month ago 4 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • John Thomson

February 3, 2010 at 3:25 pm

If one half of the magenta head is completely missing in the test print it is possible that a resistor on the slider board has blown…..sorry I know that is not what you wanted to hear.

john

• David Rowland

February 3, 2010 at 7:28 pm

john is correct

have you managed to get the ink flowing again?

Could be dampers or air getting in around the o-ring on the dampers, something along those lines.

Or that cartridge has actually ran out and your not getting ink back thru, maybe the pumps are not sucking well.

How many times have you ran Fill Up Ink?

If you got a maintenace contract, might be time to ring them

• James Culpin

February 4, 2010 at 12:56 pm

Thank you both for the input……
    By some mysterious twist of fate whatever was wrong has righted itself. A couple more cleans and a rest over night has restored order to said JV3.
    Another wide format unsolved issue. Until the next time.
    Thanks again…….

• Praveen Jayawardene

February 19, 2010 at 2:27 am

Hello James,

I was just reading your post on your ink problems with your jv3 and its great its sorted it self out.These problems are real pain.

i also have issues with my printer ,mainly color management.I’m looking for a color profile that’s prints reasonable true colors.My color ‘s are a hit and miss and the moment.

Would you be interested in sharing your experiences with colors and what types of media work best with your printer ?i understand you maybe from a cooler climate which may make a difference.I am from Melbourne Australia.

I am running photo print 5 as a rip and use genuine eco solvent inks.
    Keen to find out what rip you are running ,what profile you are using and also ink types? i have alot of problems with lighter grey’s not being nice and crisp.Always comes out speckled and even when you look closer.

Appreciate your help
    Cheers,
    PJ

• James Culpin

February 21, 2010 at 1:46 pm

Hi Praveen,
    Firstly, passed experience and some print courses have told me that the deeper into color management and color matching you g the more complex it becomes.
    Some RIP’s come with swatch files that yo can print that will help to match colors. It’s normally advised to print these if you have them on each media you work with and also color match in the same lighting a the print will be viewed as un-natural light can be misleading.
    With profiles, some manufacturers will provide a suitable profile for the media they are providing and you are printing on. If they don’t have one then they should be able to recommend the best one to use with your machine. If they don’t then ask yourself why as the print work you produce is your best sales aid.
    I use full solvent inks currently but have used Eco i the past and both, in my opinion produce just as good a print result. The rip is Colourgate and most files put through it come from Adobe software which i believe to be one of the best for color management.
    Do you use just basic CMYK or do you use the light ink too? the light inks can help to hit flesh tones and more pale or pastel colors.
    Hope this all helps ad that i have answered all your questions.
    Regards
    James

• Praveen Jayawardene

February 27, 2010 at 12:25 am

Hello James,

Thanks for the detailed feedback.
    I am using basic CMYK and havent used the lighter inks.Possible option in the near future.Did you get Colourgate rip when you purchased your JV3 130SL ? Or did you replace it after to improve color management ?

I have considered upgrading my rip because its outdated to the latest Photo print but i just want to be comfortable spending the $$ that i will get improved results..Is the colourgate rip performing for you for most things ?

Your thoughts,

Cheers,
    Praveen

• James Culpin

February 27, 2010 at 9:09 am

Praveen,
    It came with the printer and has not been updated since. I does perform well but i have to be honest there is very little i ever need to adjust. Other than scale, repeats, panels when overlapping, selecting between gloss and matt and also selecting banner and adjusting feed rate the only other thing i my change is the option to optimize over print which can improve color accuracy on PDF’s.
    You can adust so much more with the RIP but as i’ve aid the more in to it you get the more complex it becomes.
    I have also used a Roland machine with versacam RIP and have found them both as good as one another. The versacam perhaps just bettering the colourgate trough some nice little features that help productivity as opposed to print output.
    Hope this is of further help.

• Praveen Jayawardene

February 27, 2010 at 10:36 am

Thanks James,

How old is your JV3 ?
    When you print your color swatch files are they smooth with very little speckle ?
    How are your greys when you print? Would there be any chance you could EMAIL me a sample picture of your swatch greys that you have already printed ?

I would be interested to see the difference.

Cheers,
    PJ

• James Culpin

February 27, 2010 at 4:02 pm

Printer is about 5 years old i guess.
    I haven’t actually printed swatches for the JV3, it was something i did when i was running the Roland. Not even looked if colourgate has pre-loaded swatches, i don’t think it does. Grey’s do print fine though. Post a picture of any problem prints you get and i will see what i can make of it. I’m sure others will offer help too.