Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions HP Printers HP Latex printers – HP L25500

• HP Latex printers – HP L25500

Posted by Martyn Heath on August 2, 2017 at 3:01 pm

Hi all!! Looking at getting my first printer and laminator setup. Ive done my research and going for latex instead of solvent.

Going to purchase a used model. It looks like im heading towards the l25500 but cant make out why they are so reasonably priced. 2-3k used. Just want to make sure im not missing something.

Hugh Potter replied 6 years, 7 months ago 8 Members · 25 Replies
  • 25 Replies
  • Stuart Taylor

August 2, 2017 at 3:31 pm
    quote Martyn Heath:

Hi all!! Looking at getting my first printer and laminator setup. Ive done my research and going for latex instead of solvent.

Going to purchase a used model. It looks like im heading towards the l25500 but cant make out why they are so reasonably priced. 2-3k used. Just want to make sure im not missing something.

Hi Martyn

The L25500 was the1st generation of Latex printers from HP, so any second hand model will be quite old (for a digital printer)

We used to sell HP printers and have first hand knowledge and experience on all versions

My personal preference for a second hand printer would be to look for a L26500 (2nd generation) as HP "improved" a lot on the 1st Gen. Also you will start to see support options more difficult for the older models. We still run L26500’s alongside the newer Latex 370 models

• Martyn Heath

August 2, 2017 at 3:49 pm

Thanks for th reply stuart. I understand what you are saying. Like everything it comes down to costs. What is the price range for the l26500? At the moment we print 3-5 jobs a month, buying our prints in has been great and stress free but we need to provide better turnaround times.

quote Stuart Taylor:

quote Martyn Heath:

Hi Martyn

The L25500 was the1st generation of Latex printers from HP, so any second hand model will be quite old (for a digital printer)

We used to sell HP printers and have first hand knowledge and experience on all versions

My personal preference for a second hand printer would be to look for a L26500 (2nd generation) as HP “improved” a lot on the 1st Gen. Also you will start to see support options more difficult for the older models. We still run L26500’s alongside the newer Latex 370 models

• Stafford Cox

August 2, 2017 at 3:58 pm

I would look at running costs. HP latex printer require printheads and cleaners to be replaced frequently, they also have an optimiser channel and require massive heat to cure the ink. I think I’m right in thinking you need a 16A single phase power supply to run it because of the heater too. There are alternative latex machines available that run much lower temperatures, no optimiser and have fixed printheads.

Let me know if you need any more information on new or used alternatives.

Stafford.

• Martyn Heath

August 2, 2017 at 4:06 pm

Not sure what other models are available tbh, but one of the things i like about this was the replaceable print heads. I nearly struck a deal on a mutoh valuejet but the maintenance and replacement costs of the head put me off, also considering how little use it would be getting.

Im assuming fixed head latex printers are also pricey when they need changing.

I remember reading something about the replacement heads being good for around 4litres of ink. With my output that would be a fair old time but understand with high output this would not be cost effective.

• Stafford Cox

August 2, 2017 at 4:17 pm

Yeah, I see your point about the heads for low use. That does make sense. The heads for our latex machine are expensive. Very expensive. But we’ve never had to replace one yet as the ink is water based and unlikely to clog. With the automatic cleaning and durable heads it means you need to do something quite special to damage them, even when using white ink.

Please don’t think this is a sales post though, just be aware that HP aren’t the only company that sell latex printers. We have new and ex demo Ricoh latex and used Mimaki latex in stock currently.

• Martyn Heath

August 2, 2017 at 4:29 pm

No i totally understand what your saying and appreciate your imput. Tbh hp was the initial company that came in mind and havnt even looked into other latex manufacturers. I assumed Hp were the leaders and most reliable. I will check out your stock and look into mimaki. Thanks for opening up new doors

quote Stafford Cox:

Yeah, I see your point about the heads for low use. That does make sense. The heads for our latex machine are expensive. Very expensive. But we’ve never had to replace one yet as the ink is water based and unlikely to clog. With the automatic cleaning and durable heads it means you need to do something quite special to damage them, even when using white ink.

Please don’t think this is a sales post though, just be aware that HP aren’t the only company that sell latex printers. We have new and ex demo Ricoh latex and used Mimaki latex in stock currently.

• Steff Davison

August 2, 2017 at 7:49 pm

I dont know the ££ value of your 3-5 print jobs per month, but I would try and up your print sales before buying a a machine, if you are not careful all your print revenue will be gone in running cost.

Good luck.

• Hugh Potter

August 2, 2017 at 8:56 pm

if you can afford to buy outright then go for it, if you’re borrowing then carry on until your sub-con spend with a trade printer equals your repayments at least..

Go for the L26500.

Heads are around £90 each and are replaced in minutes, head cleaning kit less, etc., In a year of owning my L26500 (bought as a very low use 4yr old) I’ve replaced 3 heads, they’re warranted for something like 1.2ltr, or less. but I have two in there working perfectly that have done almost 2ltrs, it’s not overly expensive to keep a full set or heads (6 heads 2 x c+lc, 2x M+LM, 2x Y+K) or even just one of each.

Inks are around £110 +vat depending where you buy,

yes, you require 2x 16amp single phase sockets and they do pump out some heat (less than the L25500) but they’re still relatively cheap to run, easy to work on when replacing parts, and worst case, you’ll get spare heads delivered next day. It may not be as cheap long term, as a solvent that goes for 4 years and never has a head replaced but, it’s much easier to manage the cash flow if you only need to order a couple of £90 heads, as opposed to waiting for an engineer to come out and fit a £1000+ plus labour solvent head!

front loading means the machine doesn’t need space behind it too, great if your space is restricted.

• Martyn Heath

August 3, 2017 at 8:19 am

Yes thats exactly my thoughts, we would be buying it outright and feel once we have it we could push harder on the printed side of the business. Also we will feel more happy to show our clients around as many seem to want see our setup, obviously nothing wrong with buying in the prints but customers like to think everything is done in-house.

Out of interest what is considered a low usage machine, im comparing two atm – 13,000m2 and 9k. But i have seen many which are in the 20km2 range. Im guessing this is high usage.

• Hugh Potter

August 3, 2017 at 9:44 am
    quote Martyn Heath:

Yes thats exactly my thoughts, we would be buying it outright and feel once we have it we could push harder on the printed side of the business. Also we will feel more happy to show our clients around as many seem to want see our setup, obviously nothing wrong with buying in the prints but customers like to think everything is done in-house.

Out of interest what is considered a low usage machine, im comparing two atm – 13,000m2 and 9k. But i have seen many which are in the 20km2 range. Im guessing this is high usage.

I’m guessing that’s normal, My printer, I kid you not, was bought by the previous owner as a 3yr old trade in with just 1200 sq mtr, I bought it from him 1yr later when he shut shop with just 1500 sq mtr on the clock!! I juust checked and I’ve done around another 1000sq mtr since owning it, still I’d consider that low usage!

I really do think yuo ought to keep a look for a L26500, they print on more substrates due to lower heat output, ie more substrates can handle the heat. If you go with a 26500 I’m happy to send you a media list we know to work, someone kindly did that for me on the more expensive materials and banner, the cheap 3yr polymeric stuff took me a while to find a good one but with a little lower heat and vacuum I’ve found a great one now.

I was probably up to around £3k a year on trade print, similar to what I pay on the small loan i took out to boost my cash input. The beauty now is that if someone comes in for a banner or print and needs it tomorrow, I can do it, no waiting two or three days minimum, so I’m actually doing 2 or 3 times the work as I’m turning nothing away!

• Martyn Heath

August 3, 2017 at 10:32 am
    quote Hugh Potter:

quote Martyn Heath:

I’m guessing that’s normal, My printer, I kid you not, was bought by the previous owner as a 3yr old trade in with just 1200 sq mtr, I bought it from him 1yr later when he shut shop with just 1500 sq mtr on the clock!! I juust checked and I’ve done around another 1000sq mtr since owning it, still I’d consider that low usage!

I really do think yuo ought to keep a look for a L26500, they print on more substrates due to lower heat output, ie more substrates can handle the heat. If you go with a 26500 I’m happy to send you a media list we know to work, someone kindly did that for me on the more expensive materials and banner, the cheap 3yr polymeric stuff took me a while to find a good one but with a little lower heat and vacuum I’ve found a great one now.

I was probably up to around £3k a year on trade print, similar to what I pay on the small loan i took out to boost my cash input. The beauty now is that if someone comes in for a banner or print and needs it tomorrow, I can do it, no waiting two or three days minimum, so I’m actually doing 2 or 3 times the work as I’m turning nothing away!

Thats great hugh. Sounds like you got a right blinder of a machine. Unbelievable how little work it has done and will hopefully serve you a long time.

I hear what your saying regarding the l26500 but its really pushing things a bit far at this stage, that extra few thousand puts it out of reach. Im actually shipping it out to Finland where i am based now and export costs are adding up. Latex machines are not available on the secondhand market yet and when they do arrive, even the older models will be atleast twice the price as u.k. so im also bearing in mind that i could get my money back if its not working out for us.

Also looking into rips, god these are expensive. Shiraz seems ok.

Anyway will be doing a deal in the next 48hrs, so bum clenching times. 😆

• Hugh Potter

August 3, 2017 at 10:59 am
    quote Martyn Heath:

quote Hugh Potter:

quote Martyn Heath:

Thats great hugh. Sounds like you got a right blinder of a machine. Unbelievable how little work it has done and will hopefully serve you a long time.

I hear what your saying regarding the l26500 but its really pushing things a bit far at this stage, that extra few thousand puts it out of reach. Im actually shipping it out to Finland where i am based now and export costs are adding up. Latex machines are not available on the secondhand market yet and when they do arrive, even the older models will be atleast twice the price as u.k. so im also bearing in mind that i could get my money back if its not working out for us.

Also looking into rips, god these are expensive. Shiraz seems ok.

Anyway will be doing a deal in the next 48hrs, so bum clenching times. 😆

Consider renting a van and gong for a drive!! I did just that when I sold a car to a finnish chap, trailered the drag car to a Finnish drag strip about 13 years ago, I forget the name of the place but hell of a trip and worth it for the scenery.. Wouldn’t you know it but the car blew up … Mr customs man, so I left it at the drag strip to be scrapped 😉

if you can find one in your budget, pull a few bits off and make it look tatty, it’s just a machine for part or repair and has no commercial value ..!

• Martyn Heath

August 3, 2017 at 12:08 pm

In the EU so makes no odds 🙂 but yes when it comes to cars it a little different. 100% import tax. They like to keep the car prices here nice and high. 3-4 times the price at home, crazy.

Its a beautiful country tho.

• Myles Brewer

August 5, 2017 at 12:13 am

I was spending around 10k a year outsourcing & took the decision last year to buy our 26500. I actually got 2 in UK for £5k & sold one of them in Ireland for €3k so got a great deal in the end. The one I sold had done 21k sqm & the one I am using 14k sqm. Both are going strong & I wish I’d made the jump years ago. It not only saves you money but speeds up turn around & gives you complete control over colours & print quality.

I’d never used any type of printer in my life other than an A4 desktop jobby, so had a lot to learn in a short time, but actually found it quite easy once I got stuck in. The HP is so user friendly. Easy to maintain & I really would not say expensive to run. A major advantage of the latex is that you can leave it even fully switched off for pretty long periods with little or no issue. The one I sold was actually sat unplugged in our kitchen right next to the radiator from November to February & all it needed was a few extra head clean cycles & away it went! Try that with a solvent!! 🙁

I am also using it in a domestic house situation, in fact it’s in what was supposed to be a bedroom when we built the house!! :yikes: No extra ventilation required, just open the windows. It does get a bit warm when I’m sat next to it designing!! Bonus in winter, find something not so close to it to do in summer :smiles:

• Martyn Heath

August 5, 2017 at 1:04 pm

Hi myles, yes i read through all your posts in the last few weeks when you were doing a deal on the machines. Hope your floor hasnt colapsed with the weight yet 🙂

Sounds like a helova deal you got 5k for 2!!. Even now your models seems around 4 – 4.5k each. Looks like i did a deal yesterday on the l25500. Prob not the cheapest i got but seems more practical as it comes as a package. 3300 but comes with a computer with the Shiraz signature Rip. So hopefully plug in and off we go, apart from i need to find a laminator now :awkward: .

At the end of the day i see this as my chance to get into the printing world. Hopefully i can get 2-3 trouble free years out of it and then think about upgrading to a newer model if needed.

• Myles Brewer

August 5, 2017 at 3:05 pm

Ha ha! no the floor is still holding up thankfully!! :thumbsup:

Yes it certainly seems to be the deal of the century. I had no idea at the time really if 14k sqm was high use or not, so I guess it was a little bit of a gamble but having both machines for a few months let me run the newest one knowing that if anything went bang I at least had a backup machine. Once it was all going well I could sell the 2nd one which in effect would pay for any parts if I needed them.
    I think if they are kept well maintained they kind of go on forever within reason. It’s quite staggering when you look at the usage details on them & see how many times the print carriage has run up & down etc.

Trouble is when you’re starting off it’s not just the cost of the printer, but laminator, RIP & then all the consumables on top that makes it tricky, but you soon start to reap the rewards.

You perhaps saw I ended up getting Flexi RIP as the subscription is only about €50 a month for the full newest version design & print software package that includes RIP. It was a no brainer as I was already used to using Flexi for all my design work. The only down side is there are not so many ICC profiles available for all the different media, but saying that, the generic HP profiles work almost perfectly for 99% of stuff.

Good luck with whatever you get anyway & sure if you have any issues along the way there’s always plenty of good advice on the boards here.

• Martyn Heath

August 5, 2017 at 5:48 pm

:thumbsup: Cheers myles! Happy printing

• Peter Johnson

August 24, 2017 at 1:49 am
    quote Hugh Potter:

I’m happy to send you a media list we know to work, someone kindly did that for me on the more expensive materials and banner, the cheap 3yr polymeric stuff took me a while to find a good one but with a little lower heat and vacuum I’ve found a great one now

Hugh, I’d be very grateful if you could let me have a copy of that list :thumbsup:

• Hugh Potter

August 24, 2017 at 12:07 pm
    quote Peter Johnson:

quote Hugh Potter:

I’m happy to send you a media list we know to work, someone kindly did that for me on the more expensive materials and banner, the cheap 3yr polymeric stuff took me a while to find a good one but with a little lower heat and vacuum I’ve found a great one now

Hugh, I’d be very grateful if you could let me have a copy of that list :thumbsup:

I’ll pm my email address..

• Steff Davison

August 24, 2017 at 5:20 pm
    quote Martyn Heath:

Hi myles, yes i read through all your posts in the last few weeks when you were doing a deal on the machines. Hope your floor hasnt colapsed with the weight yet 🙂

Sounds like a helova deal you got 5k for 2!!. Even now your models seems around 4 – 4.5k each. Looks like i did a deal yesterday on the l25500. Prob not the cheapest i got but seems more practical as it comes as a package. 3300 but comes with a computer with the Shiraz signature Rip. So hopefully plug in and off we go, apart from i need to find a laminator now :awkward: .

At the end of the day i see this as my chance to get into the printing world. Hopefully i can get 2-3 trouble free years out of it and then think about upgrading to a newer model if needed.

I was very similar to yourself when I was looking at my first printer, although I was knocking out a fair amount of cut vinyl at the time so had decent cash flow it was still a nerve racking time.

But my reasoning was that you cant move up the ladder without the equipment, printers are relatively more expensive because what they produce has more value, I dont personally believe the margin is any better than cutting vinyl but the value of what the machine knocks out is much much higher. And once you get the printer earning then the next machine you want is even more expensive, its a never ending circle.

I want a certain machine, in fact I really need it!! but Im not going to bet the farm on it, so for now it has to wait, maybe in 12 months time. It just seems that thats the way this industry is…. faster better …more expensive.

Good luck.

• John Hughes

August 25, 2017 at 3:21 pm

What machine are you after Steff ?

John

• Peter Johnson

August 25, 2017 at 10:34 pm
    quote Hugh Potter:

I’ll pm my email address..

Thanks for that Hugh.

But, unfortunately, I don’t have access to retrieve PM’s. I really intend to upgrade my membership, but due to being forced to vacate my home and business premises, and all of the associated costs of setting back up in less than 3 weeks, I really don’t have the ready funds for it at this moment in time.

I’m not too sure what the rules are for displaying contact details, so for now, I won’t. Unless someone knows that it’s okay?

Pete J.

• Hugh Potter

August 26, 2017 at 3:56 pm

I’ve emailed you Peter, via signboards.

• Peter Johnson

August 28, 2017 at 12:34 pm

Hi Hugh.

Apologies for the late reply. On top of everything else, my broadband went down yesterday and the BT engineer can’t get here until Wednesday. BT business broadband, what a joke. Now have a USB wireless internet hub, so that will do as a stop-gap measure.

Anyway, just wanted to say that I now have the email, so thank you very much for that. Will spend a bit of time test printing with the supplied info and see how it goes.

Pete J.

• Hugh Potter

August 29, 2017 at 11:42 am
    quote Peter Johnson:

Hi Hugh.

Apologies for the late reply. On top of everything else, my broadband went down yesterday and the BT engineer can’t get here until Wednesday. BT business broadband, what a joke. Now have a USB wireless internet hub, so that will do as a stop-gap measure.

Anyway, just wanted to say that I now have the email, so thank you very much for that. Will spend a bit of time test printing with the supplied info and see how it goes.

Pete J.

You’re welcome Pete,

it find it’s only the budget end stuff that needs to be tested, lower temps or less vacuum, most quality products are just fine!

Hugh