Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions HP Printers HP Latex 26500 – 792 Inks to cease April 2020

• HP Latex 26500 – 792 Inks to cease April 2020

Posted by Hugh Potter on October 8, 2019 at 1:17 pm

So I’ve just had the email from my Perfect Colours rep to tell me HP Latex 26500 – 792 inks are being discontinued from April 2020.

This does a few things…

once the original inks dry up – presumable some months after, many will simply turn to 3rd party inks rather than upgrade.

The value of these printers on the used market will all but vanish.

I’m pretty damned angry about this if I’m honest. I bought a near unused 2yr old printer (like 1800m2 lifetime use), paying for it over four years means that the inks will cease production 4 months before it’s paid for, leaving it with little value despite printing perfectly.

I’ve just bought a new van and all my other overheads are continually on the increase so I can’t really stockpile dozens of inks, nor at this moment buy a new 365 for £14.5k (I want a 500 series anyway!).

Thanks, HP. :bangshead:

Mark Piddington replied 4 years, 6 months ago 13 Members · 31 Replies
  • 31 Replies
  • David Hammond

October 8, 2019 at 2:10 pm

This is one of my regrets about buying the OKI/Seiko.

Belting machine, but we’re only able to get genuine inks, spares, and engineers for them are scarce. With hindsight, we should have stuck with Roland. I’m surprised at HP pulling such a trick :shake:

• Mark Piddington

October 8, 2019 at 4:27 pm

Hi Hugh! I’ve just bought a 2nd 26500! I made the switch to 3rd party inks and haven’t had an issue with them! Will hp still be selling maintenance kits and printheads? I wouldn’t worry about it if it’s just the inks!

• Luke Culpin

October 8, 2019 at 5:15 pm

Hugh, nows your time to switch to Epson! I moved from the latex 260 to epson and would do the same again, fantastic machine. I think I’m saving near on £150 a month between inks and electricity costs! Far superior print quality that any latex you could buy!

• Hugh Potter

October 8, 2019 at 10:10 pm
    quote Luke Culpin:

Hugh, nows your time to switch to Epson! I moved from the latex 260 to epson and would do the same again, fantastic machine. I think I’m saving near on £150 a month between inks and electricity costs! Far superior print quality that any latex you could buy!

I can’t fault the printer but I really don’t want the prints laying about to outgas, nor the rear loading. The Latex printers are ready to lam right away (except perhaps the heaviest ink loads), also front loading so they sit tight to the wall.

Just really bloody annoyed about the ink situation. It’s just wrong in my eyes. When i bought this printer it was 2 1/2 yrs old, I could still have bought a new one, that means there are machines out there that are under 4yrd old, yet owners won’t be able to buy the inks.

I’m going to have to have a serious look at latex alternatives, and alternative latex machines, but it’s hard to better the HP for user friendlyness, servicability etc. in 3 yrs ownership I’ve called an engineer twice and never called them out.

• Luke Culpin

October 9, 2019 at 8:24 am

I’d argue that you would still be happier with an Epson! The amount of prints that I laminate straight away is unbelievable, no issues at all! Just as easy to use, cheaper to run, far superior quality!

Regarding the inks, it is pretty poor that they are going out of service so soon, I would expect there are still a lot of the machines in use throughout the country.

• John Thomson

October 9, 2019 at 9:50 am

There must be a reason for them to stop producing these inks…….there is no way they would stop if it was profitable.

Sounds like 3rd party will be the only option for you.
    Stockpiling means you risk ink going out of date.

John

• Iain Pearson

October 9, 2019 at 10:22 am

Technology is 8/9 years old now and they are on 3rd gen inks. They are also releasing a new model next year. Stands to reason it would get superseded at some point

• Hugh Potter

October 9, 2019 at 1:29 pm
    quote Iain Pearson:

Technology is 8/9 years old now and they are on 3rd gen inks. They are also releasing a new model next year. Stands to reason it would get superseded at some point

Absolutely, no one would argue against that but, as I said, when I bought this machine 3 yrs ago, there were still suppliers offering them for sale, how many people have a 3yr old machine that’s soon to be obsolete?!

• Iain Pearson

October 9, 2019 at 4:27 pm

Best go with the 3rd party ink route then I’d say. Either that or trade yours in for a new printer

• Hugh Potter

October 9, 2019 at 5:26 pm
    quote Iain Pearson:

Best go with the 3rd party ink route then I’d say. Either that or trade yours in for a new printer

Little choice eh?!

• Chris Wilson

October 9, 2019 at 6:47 pm

It is a little bit harsh but clearly sales driven.

Am sure lots of people will trade the machine in and upgrade. There will be plenty of “offers” kicking around soon.

To be honest it just puts me off them more. We can live with prints sitting for 2 days or so. I personally feel Roland have our back. Even if we do pay for it. Machine get serviced once a year, covered for all parts and they are still supplying eco sol 1.. and we’re on 3.

Feel for you. Crap game to play with customers.

• Hugh Potter

October 9, 2019 at 10:20 pm
    quote Chris Wilson:

It is a little bit harsh but clearly sales driven.

Am sure lots of people will trade the machine in and upgrade. There will be plenty of “offers” kicking around soon.

To be honest it just puts me off them more. We can live with prints sitting for 2 days or so. I personally feel Roland have our back. Even if we do pay for it. Machine get serviced once a year, covered for all parts and they are still supplying eco sol 1.. and we’re on 3.

Feel for you. Crap game to play with customers.

I think I’m more annoyed because I’ve not yet finished paying for it! Almost but no cigar! there must be those, as I’ve said, who bought new and later than I, in the same boat.

I do a reasonable amount of trade print for other sign shops in the area so I want to have a fast turnaround, roland inks are just too slow for me.

I am, some will be pleased to hear, going to look at the epson 60800 though, if it can be lam’d as soon as they say it’s good enough for me! Just need to sort a way to work it that’s afordable.

• Stephen Morriss

October 10, 2019 at 9:41 am

Is it even legal for them to stop supplying inks for a machine that soon after stopping production?

I know cars have to be supplied with spares for 10 years or so after the model ceases production but I would have thought there was something similar for machinery, unless there is a safety concern.

Steve

• Hugh Potter

October 10, 2019 at 11:56 am

I did wonder that myself.

• Iain Pearson

October 10, 2019 at 1:40 pm

Car parts and ink are totally different . Car parts can be mass produced and stockpiled, sit on the shelf indefinitely, ink had a shelf life and from what I know of HP I doubt they would have deliberately infringed any regulation if there is one

• Stephen Morriss

October 10, 2019 at 2:55 pm
    quote Iain Pearson:

Car parts and ink are totally different . Car parts can be mass produced and stockpiled, sit on the shelf indefinitely, ink had a shelf life and from what I know of HP I doubt they would have deliberately infringed any regulation if there is one

Yes I know, but they have effectively made a machine, designed and produced by them, scrap well within it’s usable life time, I’m sure they will have looked into the legal side but I bet if enough noise is made they’ll have to step up and make the inks available again one way or another.

I do find it very unusual though, I had a HP 3000cp (I think) and I could still buy the heads and inks for a long time after it had been superseded by the 5500

Steve

• Iain Pearson

October 11, 2019 at 8:54 am

Hugh, just a thought but have you actually had the information confirmed by HP or a third Party ?
    Wouldn’t be the first time a re-seller starts rumours in order to sell new equipment [emoji848]

• Hugh Potter

October 11, 2019 at 11:51 am
    quote Iain Pearson:

Hugh, just a thought but have you actually had the information confirmed by HP or a third Party ?
    Wouldn’t be the first time a re-seller starts rumours in order to sell new equipment [emoji848]

Hi Iain,

Info came from Perfect Colours, just had another email from them, forwarding another email from HP wide format dept, stating numerous parts will also no long be manufactured after August 2020.

I’m sure spare parts will be available for many years to come through stocks already made, and people can run compatible inks.. perhaps I’m over-reacting but I simply don’t want to run on compatibles, and feel rather aggrieved that HP are leaving that as my only option should I stay with a perfectly usable, low mileage machine.

I will upgrade, most likely next year but in doing so, I’ll then have a printer with little to no value as far as selling or px’ing goes. HP will need to do something pretty special to keep me as a customer now. What if I buy a 560 tomorrow (now a few years old) on a 48 or 60month finance, only to be told in a couple of years time that the support is being withdrawn on what to me is a new machine?!

• John Thomson

October 11, 2019 at 12:03 pm

I think trust in this manufacturer may be an issue……….

John

• Iain Pearson

October 11, 2019 at 12:19 pm

I completely understand how you must feel Hugh, especially if you are still paying for it. With the speed of technology and upgrades these days, most technology based retailers are superseding products year on year. Look at Apple, they being out at least one new model every year and after a period of time stop supporting previous models, same with Windows etc. It’s not illegal, just annoying. Even if it is discontinued it’s still worth something to someone, loads of people use third party inks without any problem, I used to with my Mimaki as they were half the price of Hybrids prices

• Neil Danley

October 11, 2019 at 1:07 pm

This is why I didn’t buy an HP Latex (amongst other reasons). I don’t like the chop and change nature of the HP machinery. It feels every 1-2 years that there is a new range out. It feels like they treat the printers as a consumable too but it’s serious money in a tough market already.

I’ve said loads of times that I have the S80600 and I know others have one too on here. Support has been great by supplier and printer has helped to grow my business. White ink is great for eco solvent. I’ve had smaller epson inkjets before and was pleased they have kept up that standard on solvent.

Interesting to see what you do next.

Neil D.

• Myles Brewer

October 12, 2019 at 11:59 am

100% agree with you Hugh. I’m in identical situation here! Bought mine 2nd hand 3yrs ago on 5yr loan so have 2yrs still to pay!!
    I had heard a rumour as far back as beginning of the year they may do this, following on from doing same to 25500!! So I’ve been proactively looking since & weighing up my options in the hope I could beat HP to it & at least be able to get a few quid for mine before it becomes obsolete!!
    I have been sorely tempted by the epson as Luke & a few others have given glowing reviews, but my issues are very similar to yours Hugh in that I really don’t have space to leave vinyl outgassing (to be discussed further anon) & front loading is almost essential as I’m working in a 5×3.5m bedroom & I really don’t think I can get the epson in if I have to get behind to load it!! Well physically I might but my workstation may have to go outside the front door!!!. & the other issue is working in such a small space next to a solvent machine with only a window for ventilation!! I know its eco but not convinced it’s good for my health!!
    My final issue is I’ve managed to get a grant to help pay for a new machine but for the application I pushed the eco friendly advantages of latex so not sure how I’d stand now if I went & bought an eco solvent!!

Back to outgassing epson prints, has anyone any long term experience with any prints laminated immediately? I.e. could it be safe to assume that if no short term issues have been noticed that a 3-4yr old print will not fail prematurely due to lack of outgassing?
    Do you not suffer the other effects of laminating too soon, like stretchy chewing gum like vinyl??

I am so very close to going with a new 365 now & trying to get in before Brexit! (To avoid potential import duty to Ireland) so if anyone can answer my issues above re Epson I might yet be swayed.

Hugh, have you enquired about business expansion Grant’s? Not sure if anything similar is Available in uk now?

• Luke Culpin

October 12, 2019 at 1:22 pm

I’ve laminated all kinds of things immediately! I’ve not seen any issues after in the 6 months I’ve had the machine. If the print was for a vehicle wrap I would certainly leave the print a good time before laminating. I can only vouch that going from the latex 260 to Epson is a no brainer, I can’t see anybody being disappointed. Once you’ve got one, I don’t think anybody will beat your print quality either!

Interestingly, on several occasions I have re-printed jobs for a friend of mine who has the latex 570, he has terrible issues with tiled prints aligning and media stretching to make prints different sizes, something I never have an issue with.

Feel free to ask any further questions!

• Myles Brewer

October 12, 2019 at 1:48 pm
    quote Luke Culpin:

I’ve laminated all kinds of things immediately! I’ve not seen any issues after in the 6 months I’ve had the machine. If the print was for a vehicle wrap I would certainly leave the print a good time before laminating. I can only vouch that going from the latex 260 to Epson is a no brainer, I can’t see anybody being disappointed. Once you’ve got one, I don’t think anybody will beat your print quality either!
    Feel free to ask any further questions!

I don’t actually do wraps here anyway at the moment so that certainly wouldn’t be an issue. How do you find the vinyl handling as I’ve heard people say about the way solvent makes it very stretchy & chewing gum like if laminated too soon?

I presume you aren’t using it in a confined space or without ventilation are you? How would you feel if you had to work sitting next to it for several hours whilst printing? I’ve had reps saying it might just have a slight odour, but no more than the smell of the vinyl on a latex due to the heat but I’m not convinced.

I definitely don’t doubt the quality of the printing, build quality & customer service of the Epson & I think they will be grabbing a large share of the market in the near future, It’s the fitting it in & the ventilation are my biggest issues.

• Luke Culpin

October 12, 2019 at 2:45 pm

I’ve never had any issues with stretch chewing gum like vinyl either.

Our printer is in a large open space, to be honest it can give off a strong smell with heavy inking. It is a stronger smell than the latex. Obviously this isn’t a huge problem for most scenarios, but it possibly could be in a small confined space without ventilation.

• Myriam Garrido

October 12, 2019 at 3:48 pm

Thinking longer term HP are really shooting themselves in the foot. Potential purchasers of a new (or almost new) machine are going to think to themselves if they aren’t able to purchase consumables after such a short period of time they’ll steer clear of buying HP.

3rd party inks may well be an option but what about service items and optimisers ? Doesn’t really inspire confidence in wanting to buy their product and their ‘green’ credentials aren’t valid if half a tonne of plastic no longer has practicability after just a few years.

It almost seems like their business model is based on domestic home printers rather than large format market.

I reckon they might need a rethink !

• Boyan Silyavski

October 13, 2019 at 10:10 am

First the 25500 and now that one. So that’s why in Spain second hand is 2500e, while a much older Roland is worth more.
    Inktec makes inks for the HP. BUt what happens if you need a part… :bangshead: or a board

• Robert Lambie

October 13, 2019 at 7:17 pm

I could be wrong, but I think it might be because of the Latex 26500 is the last of the line using the old Latex Ink type.
    There are alternative inks for these machines being sold nowadays. I think the bigger issue will be when the machine parts are stopped being made.

It is not just HP doing this. Roland did it with their Thermal printers, I think Gerber with "The Edge" others too… although consumables etc are still available. Same happens in any industry really, take cars for one!

• Mark Piddington

October 14, 2019 at 2:45 pm

Following on from this I had an email from my supplier today to say that as of April hp will be pulling the ink, printheads and maintenance kits for these machines!

• Myriam Garrido

October 14, 2019 at 4:28 pm

Lovely. So the value of a perfectly usable machine is going to be zero. Doesn’t exactly fill you with confidence about purchasing another HP does it. Annoyed and we don’t even own one ! (we did but sold it instantly)

• Mark Piddington

October 14, 2019 at 4:38 pm

I’ve just purchased a second 26500 last week!! I’m currently looking into the options of non genuine printheads and maintenance kits