Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions HP Printers HP 115 Latex – Media touching on heat plate. Advice please?

• HP 115 Latex – Media touching on heat plate. Advice please?

Posted by Dave Bell on October 15, 2018 at 7:07 pm

Hi, Hope someone can help me,
    I recently purchased a HP115 latex unit,
    As the media passes under the heat plate it rises up and touches the plate smudging the print before it dries, I have tried different types of media and all do the same resulting in wasted media and ink, let alone time.

Has anyone had this and have a solution? Its driving me crazy and should not have to watch over the machine every second

Thanks in advance
    Dave

Kevin Busby replied 5 years, 6 months ago 6 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Robert Lambie

October 15, 2018 at 7:19 pm

Obviously i do not know what media you are putting into the machine but there are a list of reasons this type of thing can happen and not just with a latex.

For now, let’s assume its because its a latex which uses a lot of heat to cure the prints…
    you may be using a media that is not compatible with the machine.
    lets take banner material. if this is a budget grade banner material it will rise, buckle etc due to the heat. not severely but enough that the heads may brush against the media on passes.

If the media has just been delivered, of has been in a cool/cold room overnight. you come in and stick it into the print and as the media comes into the hot throat of the machine, it begins to react due to it being cool. again creating head stikes/brushes as it passes over.

as i say there are many reasons, but there’s two to eliminate as i am doing this blind.
    also remember to use your media clamps also…

a way to help reduce the puckering/swelling is to feed thru the media onto the take up system. doing this will create an even tension across the meda and helps prevent it lifting just as much.

• Dave Bell

October 16, 2018 at 11:37 am
    quote Robert Lambie:

Obviously i do not know what media you are putting into the machine but there are a list of reasons this type of thing can happen and not just with a latex.

For now, let’s assume its because its a latex which uses a lot of heat to cure the prints…
    you may be using a media that is not compatible with the machine.
    lets take banner material. if this is a budget grade banner material it will rise, buckle etc due to the heat. not severely but enough that the heads may brush against the media on passes.

If the media has just been delivered, of has been in a cool/cold room overnight. you come in and stick it into the print and as the media comes into the hot throat of the machine, it begins to react due to it being cool. again creating head stikes/brushes as it passes over.

as i say there are many reasons, but there’s two to eliminate as i am doing this blind.
    also remember to use your media clamps also…

a way to help reduce the puckering/swelling is to feed thru the media onto the take up system. doing this will create an even tension across the meda and helps prevent it lifting just as much.

Many thanks for that details explanation, Its helped alot,
    It does seem if I add some weight to the media the issue doesnt happen, also running a foot or so of media through first also helps, However, not liking the wastage.

I have also tried with a lower heat setting which does help but still does happen occasionally.

I will ask specifically to my supplier if the supplied media is actually suitable for higher temps for latex.
    Many thanks for youyr help mate

• Jamie Wood

October 16, 2018 at 12:27 pm

Just add the cost of a metre of unprinted material to your quote. It should only add £2-3.00, and it takes care of the wastage.

• Pane Talev

October 16, 2018 at 1:42 pm

I have a similar situation with Mutoh 1624 while printing on MD3 and MD5.
    Preheheat plate was making the vinyl to rise up and touches the moving head. This creates smudging and print is ruined.
    I solved by turning down the:
    Preheater to 30ºC
    Platen to 30ºC
    Dryer to 50ºC
    I hope this is somehow relevant to the solution you need.

• Iain Pearson

October 16, 2018 at 3:54 pm

I run a new HP Latex and although ive had one or 2 occasions where media pipes up, ive not had it actually touch the platen.
    Have you checked your profile settings for the media/Medias that you are using ?
    If you go to the HP website, it actually tells you the different medias that it has confirmed profiles for.
    Also, if in doubt, turn the heat down 5 or 10 degrees or introduce a print delay, that way it will even itself out

Hope it helps

• Kevin Busby

October 17, 2018 at 10:44 am

Ive got the 310 previous model and only get it happen when its media thats not suitable, had a roll of hexus poster paper that was supplied for it but no matter what I did it smudged, changed brands and no problem.

I do still have issue with the on way vision products doing the same and solution is more air suction, extend more from the exit and put some downward pressure until enough is out to hang down and roll up.

Another unfortunate cause is damp on paper backing papers, the unit takes the moisture out when drying the ink causing the backing to lift pressing the front into the heat unit.

I understand you hate the waste of media but the two hp latex I’ve had have always required the machine to extend some material before printing even with the side clips in place the head will catch the material resulting in a head strike if you try and leave it where the printer loads the material.