Activity Feed Forums Vinyl Cutter Discussions Graphtec Vinyl Cutters Graptec plotter using USB instead of RS232 Serial

• Graptec plotter using USB instead of RS232 Serial

Posted by Ian Thornton on May 24, 2016 at 3:19 pm

Hi There- just changed the computer on one of our workstations and no longer have an RS232 serial port to connect my Graphtec FC4100 plotter to – I have got a Serial to USB adapter and set it up, everything initially seems ok but when cutting after a little while I get an error message on the plotter "Error 22" something about TO MANY PARAMETERS" then the plotter goes a bit mad putting letters on different baselines etc. am I doing something stupid or is there some setting I need to change? I have downloaded the Serial to USB driver from the Aries Graphics website (running Sign Wizard) still no different.

Frank Droog replied 7 years, 11 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • George Neagu

May 24, 2016 at 3:46 pm

Hi Ian,

I believe the Serial-USB adapter does not translate correctly the data but it can be any other reason it does not work.
    You need to investigate what type of data does your cutter expect to receive (language, version etc.) then you need to make sure your adapter output same language and same version. Any discrepancies might be the cause of this miscommunication.
    Also, I would try a lower baud rate. Your old mate might not be able to handle so much data at once.

In the meantime, if your computer is a desktop I would consider to add a Serial card to it. Cheap and quick solution.

Let us know how it goes.

• Frank Droog

May 24, 2016 at 4:45 pm

Usually with a serial port, if it cuts fine for a while and then screws up, it often the comport settings in you software or Windows Device Manager.
    I bet the Flow Control is set to NONE.
    Set the flow control to xON/xOFF or Hardware.