Activity Feed Forums Vinyl Cutter Discussions Graphtec Vinyl Cutters Graphtec cutting problems – CE5000-60

• Graphtec cutting problems – CE5000-60

Posted by Steven Taylor on March 13, 2018 at 1:01 pm

Hi all,

Looking for help and advise on my Graphtec CE5000-60. I have owned the machine for about three years now and bought it second hand from a guy on ebay.
    The plotter does everything I need it to currently as I upgraded from a Silhouette cameo to the CE5000-60 (I started small 😆 )
    When I first got it and for a long time the jobs I have cut with the Graphtec have been spot on.
    However more recently I have noticed the finishing of my cuts as getting worse, with lines not looking quite as straight as previously done, and catchy thumbnails being left… The majority of my work is quite small and these imperfections look worse due to the size of the decals I am making.

I know these questions get asked all the time, and I have done some research checking previous users questions.

I have changed the blade, cleaned the blade holder and even reset the machine back to its original settings… however the poor quality seems to remain. I haven’t really touched on changing the offset, as you hear so many people giving advice on it… but maybe this is something I might need to try.

Its making me think the plotter may need somesort of service, or could be down to needing a better quality blade (any recommendations greatly appreciated on that front) or maybe the blade holder itself needs replacing… I’ve seen in a video on youtube that it can’t be worth changing the blade holder every 6 to 12 months with heavy amount it cutting?

I know I need to buy a new cutting strip (it was previously scored when I bought it – but didn’t harm the cutting quality) but where else would you start? I don’t mind buying parts for the machine to keep it running tip top, but I currently feel that if I start throwing money as new parts and it doesn’t fix the issue I would be better off putting the cash towards a new plotter.

Any advise and help on this is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Steven

Attachments:

Chris Wool replied 6 years, 1 month ago 5 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Hugh Potter

March 13, 2018 at 1:52 pm

I don’t use graphtec but things to check..
    the cutting strip.. this can become worn over time and cause some issues.

drive bets can also become worn over time and can be replaced.

have you done any test plots?

wouldn’t touch blade offset unless you’ve gone from an original blade to something like a ‘smartknife’ or vice versa.

• David Hammond

March 13, 2018 at 2:03 pm

We use smart knives in our FC8600, work well and take the fuss out of setting blade height.

Try changing the cutting strip.

I’ve just had to replace ours, as we’re getting inconsistent cutting pressure across the media where it’s occasionally cross cut with the plotter blade, rather than the cross cut one :bangshead:

• Steven Taylor

March 13, 2018 at 2:59 pm

Hi Hugh

Thanks for your reply, I think your right on the cutting strip.. this has had marks in it from the time I purchased the plotter,I don’t believe I’m cutting too deeply to cause issues – however for peace of mind and just for looks I’ll be changing it for sure.

Changing the drive belts? would this a simple DIY I can do myself?

I haven’t done a full test plot, but before I always test cut the small square / triangle to test depth and pressure is correct.

With regards to blades, I’ve only used what came included with the CE5000-60 or a few sets of blade I’ve bought from Ebay… not had an issue till recently though.

Cheers

Steven

• Steven Taylor

March 13, 2018 at 3:04 pm

Hello David

I might follow your lead and try a smart knife first and see if it fixes some of the issues as well as changing the cutting strip as you and Hugh have both mentioned.

Guess its time to buy a few bits and do a little trial and error, and hope I see some improvements and get the plotter back to its best.

Thanks

Steven

• Martyn Heath

March 13, 2018 at 5:47 pm

Pinch rollers could also be warn but would create more tracking problems than the issues your describing.

• Hugh Potter

March 13, 2018 at 5:58 pm
    quote Steven Nev Taylor:

Hi Hugh

Thanks for your reply, I think your right on the cutting strip.. this has had marks in it from the time I purchased the plotter,I don’t believe I’m cutting too deeply to cause issues – however for peace of mind and just for looks I’ll be changing it for sure.

Changing the drive belts? would this a simple DIY I can do myself?

I haven’t done a full test plot, but before I always test cut the small square / triangle to test depth and pressure is correct.

With regards to blades, I’ve only used what came included with the CE5000-60 or a few sets of blade I’ve bought from Ebay… not had an issue till recently though.

Cheers

Steven

It’s probably not the blades but do check that if you’ve recently changed types that the offset is correct.
    I have Summa cutters and changed belts on an old one a few years back, couple of hours and no screws left over!

A test plot may tell you if somethings awry, my summa’s cut like a small ladder shape, if any lines overlap etc. then something (x or y) is slightly out and would suggest a belt. Also worth checking the blad holder doesn’t have any movement.

H

• David Hammond

March 13, 2018 at 6:59 pm

Yes get a stiff brush on the grit rollers, give them a clean, they get fluffed up with adhesive and bits of backing paper as it feeds in and out. :thumbsup:

• Chris Wool

March 15, 2018 at 8:47 am

Looking at the white vinyl. Looks like the vinyl is bunching in front of the blade which blade type are you using should be standard 09 type 45 deg .in the conditions set to this blade
    If the media does not stay flat on the bed whilst cutting the joins will never meet and change of direction cuts will not be straight or rounded corners as shown.
    Also the blade never seams to be in alignment at the start of loops so probably needs a new holder or the above or you are using a 1.5 type blade too big for the job in hand