Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Roland Printers Drying Time – VP540i Print & Cut

• Drying Time – VP540i Print & Cut

Posted by Christian Davies on February 9, 2019 at 8:07 pm

We are using a VP540i Roland.

Having printed and cut our artwork to make wall stickers (continuous operation on the Roland), how long should we be leaving the printed media stud on end to allow the inks to cure before we weed and apply application tape?

Pane Talev replied 5 years, 2 months ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Chris Wilson

February 9, 2019 at 8:30 pm

Gas out time is 48hrs before laminating. It allows everything to settle, adhesive on the back etc.. needs to be a Warm and dry room. If you don’t have a fan you should flip the roll round once or twice as all the gas will sit at the bottom of the roll.

That said should be touch dry within a few hours if not straight away. Make sure your heater is running to media default and not a low heat. Personally though I would leave them to gas out as getting vinyls to stick to various paints can be a nightmare and sometimes just not possible.

• Christian Davies

February 9, 2019 at 8:45 pm

Thank you for your reply Chris. We have only been allowing 24 hours for the gassing off process. We have been having a few issues with the wall stickers that we have been making curling from the outer edges on some of the stickers that contain darker colours. It maybe that we have not been allowing longer enough for the inks to gas off fully. We will now try 48 hrs and see how we get on. Thanks again.

• Chris Wilson

February 9, 2019 at 9:23 pm

Hi Christian,

From my understanding that is exactly what would happen. If the colour is super dark/heavy on print then you could leave it even longer. We tend to leave wrap at least 72hrs, although last car I did I left for over a week before laminating. Better safe than sorry if you can.

• Joe Wigzell

February 11, 2019 at 11:30 am

Hiya,
    Lots of variables here…

• What ink you are running
      How heavy the print is (how much ink is going down)
      How long the finished product needs to last
      How you outgas – as previous comments
      What material you are printing on
      If you are using the correct media profile
      What adhesive your material has
      And…what the paint/finish is on the walls you are applying to!
  • Pane Talev

February 11, 2019 at 12:03 pm

1) Wash a t-shirt and leave it to dry out on the open in London.
    2) Wash a t-shirt and leave it to dry out on the open in Dubai.
    One will dry quicker.
    As Joe says, lots of variables.
    Drying prints in one workshop in 24h, doesn’t mean that this will be the case with another workshop.
    You need to test this within your workshop/ equipment/ profiles