• D160R Issues

Posted by Adam Comerford on October 2, 2012 at 9:18 am

Morning all, in need of some assistance or perhaps guidance!

we’ve got a nice little setup where when we print and cut not a problem at all, although i do have sometimes pull the repeater cable out every now and again to get the plotter working. but the main issue is that at this point we dont have signlab or any other software to directly cut vinyl. i was recommended to use winplot so headed over to summas website downloaded the latest version upon installing and running could not find the cutter in the list to install, so trying nearly everyone and getting absolutely no where, contacted summa and basically they were no help whatsoever, spoken to our supplier whom we purchased the cutter from and they’re no help either! so im sort of stuck in the middle and not being able to cut any vinyls other than ones that come from the printer. frustrating just a little bit. Even when the RIP software was installed apparently they had to use a slightly different driver as the plotter is rather new. does anyone have any suggestions or tricks to get around this problem?!

Stuart Taylor replied 11 years, 6 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Robert Lambie

October 2, 2012 at 11:57 am

and a D160R is what? 🙄

as you are asking for our help, please take time on giving a descriptive topic title and giving as much info on the machine you are having the problem with?

• Stuart Taylor

October 2, 2012 at 1:11 pm
    quote Adam Comerford:

Morning all, in need of some assistance or perhaps guidance!

we’ve got a nice little setup where when we print and cut not a problem at all, although i do have sometimes pull the repeater cable out every now and again to get the plotter working. but the main issue is that at this point we dont have signlab or any other software to directly cut vinyl. i was recommended to use winplot so headed over to summas website downloaded the latest version upon installing and running could not find the cutter in the list to install, so trying nearly everyone and getting absolutely no where, contacted summa and basically they were no help whatsoever, spoken to our supplier whom we purchased the cutter from and they’re no help either! so im sort of stuck in the middle and not being able to cut any vinyls other than ones that come from the printer. frustrating just a little bit. Even when the RIP software was installed apparently they had to use a slightly different driver as the plotter is rather new. does anyone have any suggestions or tricks to get around this problem?!

Hi Adam

Could be a couple of issues you’re experiencing

Firstly you will need to make sure that when you want to run winplot you should not have cut server running as well, running 2 sets of software to the same cutter at the same time can cause conflict

Secondly (and more the likely issue) when you run Winplot for the first time it will ask you to select cutter – for some reason D160R does not exist in the list provided by Summa. Our IT guys have told me that you just select D160 from the list, then select your USB or serial port that you are connected through and you should be away

Hope this helps

Let me know if still a problem and I will ask our IT guys if they have any other ideas

Not sure why Summa or whoever supplied you the cutter couldnt help with this as it is standard install/setup procedure

Stuart

• Adam Comerford

October 2, 2012 at 3:20 pm

apologies robert, summacut D160R

stuart, thanks for the advice, been pulling hair out for a couple for days trying everything. when i spoke to summa directly they basically didnt really want to help and palmed me off with its our suppliers issue i think it was the fact that didnt buy from them directly!
    anyways gave your way a try with no server running and its cutting fine now. just have to make a note on the PC to switch off the server before running. i wasnt here when the machinery was installed, i think they had problems getting the cutter to work in the first place with the RIPs own cutter software and no one our side or theres thought about what happens when we wanted to just cut vinyl!
    problem solved for now, thanks!

• Stuart Taylor

October 4, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Hi Adam

Glad you got sorted

Stuart