Activity Feed Forums Software Discussions Corel Software Corel Draw 2019 – Grouping by colour?

• Corel Draw 2019 – Grouping by colour?

Posted by Hugh Potter on August 19, 2019 at 8:23 pm

Hi All,

Just renewed my subs to corel and downloaded the new 2019 CDR,

my question – is there a way to select a whole bunch of objects and group them by colour? When you vectorise a bitmap for eg, it gives the option to group by colour, but I can’t find this as a regular option when working with drawings.

I have a vector that I’m editing a lot to use on a camper wrap, it involves parrots (don’t ask), the issue I have is that the file is RGB, who the hell designs in rgb? bloody designers!! So two of the parrots, for eg, are made of around 12-15 colours, but there’s 900+ objects, if I could group all the same colours together it would make life alot easier when it comes to swapping the colours to cmyk – there are thousands of objects in all which include many blues and greens, which typically print rubbish from rgb!!

Help!

Denise Goodfellow replied 4 years, 8 months ago 5 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • David Hammond

August 19, 2019 at 8:57 pm

If you get stuck send it over as an EPS, it’s easy to do in illustrator.

Or if you have it yourself.

Ungroup it all, release any clipping paths.

Select 1st colour. Select-> Same -> Fill colour. Then group it all together.

Also easy to convert to CMYK File -> Edit Colours -> Convert to CMYK.

If you export a document as PDF x1a compliant, it’ll convert it to CMYK anyway, and flatten transparencies too.

• Hugh Potter

August 19, 2019 at 9:06 pm

That’s awesome David, thank you! If I can’t find a way to do it I’ll send it over morro (or later!)

What started as a simple idea has become somewhat more technical as we can’t finish on edges or roof, we’re having a contour cut edge to break it up! The art vector file / tile is made of thousands of bits!!!!

• Chris Wilson

August 19, 2019 at 9:19 pm

Am a Corel user and there is definitely a way, but I don’t use it. Will ask business partner in the morning.

By sounds of it though I would consider just converting whole thing to a CMYK bitmap.
    If you’ve not got the cut line yet copy it and convert to a greyscale or one bit then export a jpeg and trace from there.

Also Corel won’t let you group and colour large amounts of objects anymore. It’s a pain in the hoop somedays.

• Hugh Potter

August 19, 2019 at 9:54 pm
    quote Chris Wilson:

Am a Corel user and there is definitely a way, but I don’t use it. Will ask business partner in the morning.

By sounds of it though I would consider just converting whole thing to a CMYK bitmap.
    If you’ve not got the cut line yet copy it and convert to a greyscale or one bit then export a jpeg and trace from there.

Also Corel won’t let you group and colour large amounts of objects anymore. It’s a pain in the hoop somedays.

Thanks for the reply, I’ve never needed to do it before as I’ve never dealt with so many objects that need changing, the backgound foliage has 2700 objects!!

Once I’m done, the contour cut line will be a doddle, I just need to edit the vector colours, rather than trying to change to a bitmap and converting back. Certanily a bigger task than I initially anticipated!

PS,
    I’ve found the objects docker, select a bunch of objects and it shows every object in some kind of colour order, you can select the ones you want and group, I suspect from there you could change the colour easily. Grouping and changing colour of group seems to work fine.

PS2,
    there are sooo many colours to try and group, many similar but not quite the same fills too. Doesn’t seem to be a good enough ‘order’ to group all,

• Glenn Sharp

August 20, 2019 at 1:14 am

Hugh

Middle of the night and just on my tablet so can’t remember exactly but look for ‘find and replace’

you can set whatever criteria you need to search for. – colour, outline colour, etc etc

Hopefully that should do it for you

• Hugh Potter

August 20, 2019 at 7:05 am
    quote Glenn Sharp:

Hugh

Middle of the night and just on my tablet so can’t remember exactly but look for ‘find and replace’

you can set whatever criteria you need to search for. – colour, outline colour, etc etc

Hopefully that should do it for you

well that sounds promising Glenn, Thank you!

• Denise Goodfellow

August 20, 2019 at 8:00 am

I know in signlab, you hold the shift key and then click on the colour you require to select and then group, it might be similar in Corel