Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Printer Ink can i split the ink carts on an epson 7890 to dual cmyk

• can i split the ink carts on an epson 7890 to dual cmyk

Posted by Steve Maple on October 7, 2013 at 6:20 pm

if its
    cmyk lm lc light black and light light black

can i run the 8 carts with cmky times two

i.e. make the light mag = mag
    the light cyan =cyan
    the light black =yellow
    the light light black = black

Steve Maple replied 10 years, 6 months ago 5 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • Denise Goodfellow

October 7, 2013 at 8:53 pm

Sorry I don’t know, but why would you want to?

We have a 7890

• Martin Pearson

October 7, 2013 at 11:05 pm
    quote Denise Goodfellow:

Sorry I don’t know, but why would you want to?

We have a 7890

Denise, if you are only looking to do 4 colour printing then having the machine set up that way will print quicker.

Steve, what does the manual say & is there any indication you can do this where the ink carts plug in?

I have a Mutoh RJ8000 which will run in 1 x 8 colour, 1 x 6 colour or 2 x 4 colour but as well as describing how to set it up in the manual the flip down cover for the ink cartridges also has a little diagram of what colours go where in the various modes.

If you don’t have something like that then I doubt it will be an option, other thing you would have to do is find the correct media profiles for running 2 x 4 colour.

• Hugh Potter

October 8, 2013 at 12:41 am

I don’t know that exact model but, from some if the sublimation forums I have seen that people have even split these 8 colour epsons into 4 colour dye dub & 4 colour regular inks so.. I would think it certainly feasible 🙂

• Stafford Cox

October 8, 2013 at 9:03 am

Physically, I don’t see it being a problem. What would be difficult is getting the RIP to drive it that way, unless you could trick it into thinking it’s a 9400 or something???

• Steve Maple

October 8, 2013 at 11:08 am

i saw on the conde sublimation you tube thing,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl … UUc9vbC4Fw
    that you can dual cmyk

i realise i think that the 7700 simply takes 4 + 1 carts – this must have a splitter on the damper?

is it possible in the stock driver?

if you do have one , the website you want to visit is
    my x900 . com

i plan on running it solvent, I do have a 7600 and a 7880, but I know the dx5 is a 6 cannel head, so the 8 channel dx6 would be more suited to dual cmky.

• Stafford Cox

October 8, 2013 at 11:24 am

😮 Good luck with that 😀

Certainly the DX2/4 & 5 water based manifolds and gaskets melt when organic solvent ink is put through them, I’d imagine the DX6 (which I have done very little work with) will do a very similar think. You’ve got some Davina’s for trying it though, I know I certainly wouldn’t want to ruin a perfectly good Epson in order to run a smaller, slower solvent machine when used Roland, Mutoh and Mimaki machines are so cheap these days…..

I’ll certainly be interested to hear what happens with it though, and I wish you the very best of luck with it.

Stafford

• Steve Maple

October 8, 2013 at 12:02 pm

the cartridges are on route

oh, the reason is the lack of light black and light-light black solvent ink…….
    plus ‘i think’ the 8 channel head running 4 colours ‘maybe’ 2 channels per colour.
    = fast? more-over say an early 2 foot solvent with 2 dx4 heads and 4 channels at 180, the 8 channel dx6 gives me 2 lines of 360 – 720 squirts per colour?
    its almost like ram = the numbers game?
    or- if you like I want to print vector graphics more over pictures with skin-tone fades and the like?

would be handy I suppose if I could in fact make it a 7700 and only needed to swap out 4 lines, then affix 4 new dampers and 4 splitters.

• Stafford Cox

October 8, 2013 at 1:16 pm

I’m not sure I really follow what you’re trying to achieve but just so you know, a DX5 printhead is an 8 channel head, not 6. Typically they use 8 individual compression dampers (Mimaki JV33/CJV30) but Mutoh will use 8 large DX4 dampers (non compression) on their earlier machines (1204/1304) and 4 dual compression dampers on the later models (1614 etc).

I hope that’s of use to you and again, good luck on the project.

Stafford

• Steve Maple

October 8, 2013 at 3:20 pm

Oh,
    I have a 7880, that has light black and light-light black
    so thats an 8 channel dx5 head

the 7890 is ten channel – well it has 5 capping doofers – covering two channels.
    so, if the 7900 has green and orange, its the same printer, bar the blanking slots for the crtridges.
    and the head has two empty banks if its 7890 no orange/green.
    thats confusing
    also a pain as I only ordered 4 dampers for the mutoh 1814

so they jumped from a dx4 -two channel head to a dx5 8 channel head
    then the dx6 10 channel head

so what is a dx7?

• Stafford Cox

October 8, 2013 at 3:47 pm

DX7 is only used on the SureColor range to my knowledge.

• Steve Maple

October 9, 2013 at 5:27 pm

the epson 7600 – 9600 have dx5 heads
    but the 7800 6880 9800 9880 have a dx5 – but with the golden non stick surface
    -I think that was throwing me!!

plus I can’t see the logic in calling the 4 channel head a dx3………..
    they must do it on purpose to confuse you.