Activity Feed Forums Sign Making Discussions Vehicle Wrapping Arlon DPF 6100XLP- how is it, views and opinions?

• Arlon DPF 6100XLP- how is it, views and opinions?

Posted by Martyn Heath on February 14, 2019 at 4:40 am

Hi, does anyone have experience with this film?
    The supplier mentioned its very low tac so it needs allday to go off

I need to wrap my van. Was hoping to use avery 1104 but im not willing to spend the money on 50m of vinyl and lam.

Another supplier has offered me arlon by the metre which sounds better for my needs.

TIA

David Stevenson replied 4 years, 9 months ago 10 Members · 20 Replies
  • 20 Replies
  • Robert Lambie

February 15, 2019 at 12:04 am

sorry mate, not sure i understand some terms…

GO OFF:-

1, adhesive to cure/bond?
    2, out-gas after print?
    3, none of above?

Arlon digital is an excellent film but like "ANY" brand, there are process stipulations based on the machines, inks, profiles, laminations you use.
    Unless these are followed by the book, you will not get the maximum performance promoted by the manufacturer.

• Martyn Heath

February 15, 2019 at 6:39 am
    quote Robert Lambie:

sorry mate, not sure i understand some terms…

GO OFF:-

1, adhesive to cure/bond?
    2, out-gas after print?
    3, none of above?

Arlon digital is an excellent film but like “ANY” brand, there are process stipulations based on the machines, inks, profiles, laminations you use.
    Unless these are followed by the book, you will not get the maximum performance promoted by the manufacturer.

Thanks for the reply rob, yes sorry i was referring to the adhesive bonding to the vehicle. i will dig deeper in profiles etc.

• David Hammond

February 15, 2019 at 10:02 am

If it’s like their SLX, I describe the adhesive on that like self cling. Very low tack, dry adhesive. It does build up a bond over time though.

Nice film, prints well. Wish we could use more of it to be fair :thumbsup:

• Martyn Heath

February 15, 2019 at 10:07 am

Thanks david :thumbsup:

• Gill Harrison

February 15, 2019 at 2:53 pm

I think the codes may be getting mixed up.
    The 6100XLP, although repositionable it is no where near as low tack as their SLX. Post heating of all risk areas still a must. Arlon SLX is the mega low tack, so much so that to start with you’ll be very suspicious of the Flite adhesive. It’s low tack features lead to a much faster install, but it does take a while to get used to it. It’s vital that after install you give all edges and overlaps a good blast of heat.
    All vinyl bond is accelerated with heat, pressure and time.

• Martyn Heath

February 17, 2019 at 1:36 pm

Thanks for the details gill

• Richard Edwards

July 2, 2019 at 6:49 pm

Hi Martyn, thanks for thinking about Arlon DPF6100XLP, Gill’s answer covers all of the bases. 6100XLP is more ‘reassuringly grabby’ to begin with and is used by some major fleet wrap companies. SLX with Flite technology is the low tack, slideable option and both reach ‘drive away’ bond in pretty much the same time.

• David Stevenson

July 2, 2019 at 9:29 pm

Have a look at Oracals new 3951GRA Proslide. We’ve used quite a lot of that over the last few months and it preforms brilliant. It’s a very reasonable price too. Allow 48 hours to out gas before laminating though or it can be quite tacky. If allowed to dry properly it just slides over the surface 🙂

• Kevin Mahoney

July 3, 2019 at 5:51 am

[quote="David Stevenson"]Have a look at Oracals new 3951GRA Proslide. We’ve used quite a lot of that over the last few months and it preforms brilliant. It’s a very reasonable price too.

Who supplies that to you David?

• David Stevenson

July 3, 2019 at 7:17 am
    quote Kevin Mahoney:

quote David Stevenson:

Have a look at Oracals new 3951GRA Proslide. We’ve used quite a lot of that over the last few months and it preforms brilliant. It’s a very reasonable price too.

Who supplies that to you David?

Hi Kevin, we buy it from SD+ here in Ireland. Their based in Dublin and offer next day delivery if ordered before 5pm. Great service and very knowledgeable although you have to watch the prices and haggle on occasions 🙂

• Kevin Mahoney

July 3, 2019 at 9:12 am

Thanks mate, dealt with once before. They were able to offer me 3M IJ180 cheaper than any of the usual suppliers which resulted in an interesting call. Will give them a try

• Martyn Heath

July 3, 2019 at 10:46 am
    quote Kevin Mahoney:

Thanks mate, dealt with once before. They were able to offer me 3M IJ180 cheaper than any of the usual suppliers which resulted in an interesting call. Will give them a try

Are you moving away from 1104/1105 because of cost kevin?

• Kevin Mahoney

July 3, 2019 at 11:07 am

No Martyn, not moving at all but I do like to be aware of what’s out there & trial different materials when we can. I’m never closed off to the idea of a new wrap material as the technology moves quite quickly & if somebody discovers an equivalent or better quality vinyl then I’m always interested. Incidentally, I’ve never used 1104, only the 1105 from Avery. Very good, very expensive

• Martyn Heath

July 3, 2019 at 11:39 am
    quote Kevin Mahoney:

No Martyn, not moving at all but I do like to be aware of what’s out there & trial different materials when we can. I’m never closed off to the idea of a new wrap material as the technology moves quite quickly & if somebody discovers an equivalent or better quality vinyl then I’m always interested. Incidentally, I’ve never used 1104, only the 1105 from Avery. Very good, very expensive

Agree very good and very very expensive, thats why this arlon came into play, nearly half the price and as far as im aware not half the performance.
    1104 is worth a look, its cheaper than 1105 just without EA. But still very easy to use, glides on the surface well.

• Chris Wilson

July 3, 2019 at 9:20 pm
    quote Martyn Heath:

Agree very good and very very expensive, thats why this arlon came into play, nearly half the price and as far as im aware not half the performance.
    1104 is worth a look, its cheaper than 1105 just without EA. .

My ears have just pricked up. Got around 1k for 50m bundle of the 1104.
    Never used arlon films. Always thought it was more expensive. Will need to go look

• Bernard Gallagher

July 3, 2019 at 9:55 pm

Orcal 3951 GRA is our bread & butter cast. We use a full roll a week & never had a problem. Arlon SLX is the best print quality & gloss laminate out there. We started using Orcal 3351 recently is very good small curves, caddy vans & car sides.

• Mark Piddington

July 12, 2019 at 2:09 pm
    quote David Stevenson:

Have a look at Oracals new 3951GRA Proslide. We’ve used quite a lot of that over the last few months and it preforms brilliant. It’s a very reasonable price too. Allow 48 hours to out gas before laminating though or it can be quite tacky. If allowed to dry properly it just slides over the surface 🙂

Hi david, where are you purchasing your 3951 from? The quotes I’ve had work out more expensive than arlon slx

• Bernard Gallagher

July 12, 2019 at 9:31 pm

Where are you buying your SLX if your getting it cheaper than 3951??

• Mark Piddington

July 12, 2019 at 10:52 pm

I just order slx from William Smith, Antalis worked out more expensive for 3951 ra pro slide

• David Stevenson

July 13, 2019 at 10:31 pm

We buy ours from sd+ (sign & digital) in Dublin